“Basic hotel”

Yellowstone Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 November 2008

This hotel is similar to a basic hotel, with a few pluses and some minuses. Rooms are quite large, clean, comfortable, ok bathroom, slightly old-looking overall. Anyway, when you're in Yellowstone, you're not staying inside the room, so that's not too big a deal. Pool looks really nice, but it's also full of kids the whole day (not so much a problem when you have a bunch yourself...).

Location is ok: you definitely have to have a car (free parking, by the way), and the city is pretty small, so everything's close.

Big minus for me was the breakfast, which was pretty confusing: few tables, self-service style, with less than average food. Actually, usual "free continental breakfast included in small motel" selection: muffins, bagels with cream cheese, belgian waffle machine, coffee, milk and some cereals (didn't dare to try, though). Pretty basic, but fine if you're not too picky; I actually wouldn't bother the trouble of going down, waiting for a seat and eating it - there's a McDonald's right in front of the Yellowstone Park entrance and you can just stop by the drive-thru on the way.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Yellowstone Park Hotel

Reviewed 6 October 2008

We planed a last minute getaway to Yellowstone and found most hotels book because of a conference in town. After doing some research on trip advisor found the Yellowstone Park hotel had rooms for both nights we wanted. We found the room very clean, the pool nice for the kids and the continentals breakfast very adequate. Found the staff very professional from very first phone call to the time we left. Location was great, a short drive to eat and to the park. Early October is one of the best times to see the park, we do it every few years and love it. No crowds, many animals and oh no crowds.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Towerdan
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We were traveling the West and decided to stay in West Yellowstone one night. We tried 4 other hotels that were full and pulled into this one and they had a room. The rate was $149/night for a King Suite. Not too bad considering the Super 8 wanted $235 for the night. Hotel still looks new and was clean in the room and lobby area. We didnt use the pool, but it looked very inviting. They have a computer in the lobby for you to use that was handy. We werent up for breakfast so cant comment on that. The room was clean although it felt a little cramped with all the furniture in the sitting room. We were just there for the night and there was only 2 of us so it worked. If we had had more than 2 we would have had to call to get more pillows because there were just the 3 on the bed (nothing extra in the closet). Wouldnt have been a problem thought, just a heads up if you stay there. Had a fridge and microwave/sink that came in handy. Bath was huge with lots of hot water and it was clean. If we went back to Yellowstone I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again. On checkout though the bill rang up at $169. I advised the clerk and she checked the checkin slip and saw that I had been quoted $149 and credited me the $20. Just be sure to check your bill before you leave. Overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2008

After researching many accommodation options for West Yellowstone we eventually settled for the YPH for 1 night Tue 26 Aug and had no problems.

The room was large - with King bed, sofa, kitchenette area with microwave and fridge, aircon and good breakfast including waffles - yum yum !

Everything was clean - although with all motel type accommodation the furnishings were of lower standard and although new looking they were certain areas lacking - like the previously mentioned bed skirts (or valance as we would call them) - basis bathroom, carpets very static - but we had no problems and knew before our stay not to expect the Ritz !

The rooms shown on their website accurately picture how the room appeared and maybe some of the previous reviewers were expecting more. We have to say it wasn't the usual type of hotel we would stay in, however we didn't expect it to be either and had an enjoyable stay for the night we were there.

It appears to me that the accommodation just outside most of the Yellowstone entrances is high priced and of lower standard, but if you understand that before you arrive then you should have no problems. We would stay here again as our stay did not encounter any issues.

For food in West Yellowstone, we had take out from Pete's as recommended. The staff were excellent and helped us with our order as we were unable to get a seat inside the restaurant. We also bought some provisions from the food store close by ready for a day in the park. Other than that West Yellowstone appears to be a tourist town with nothing much more than souvenir shop after souvenir shop. Not something I like but with easy access to YNP never the less.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2008

The room was clean and beds comfortable, however, there were no bed skirts on the beds, a light bulb was out in a lamp and had to request a new bulb twice. The breakfast room had no attendants when we were there and people were left to their own devices to find more silverware, napkins, etc. The coffee machine was out of coffee more than not. People were standing around waiting for it to be available with no one there to monitor it.
The garbage can was overflowing. As I said no staff around.

The staff seemed to be just going through the motions. I felt like they didn't much care if we were comfortable with our stay or not.

I would stay there again only as a last resort.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 6 September 2008

My first day, after breakfast was over, the male desk clerk, wearing a wrinkled white undershirt, joined his buddies in the breakfast room, where they discussed their female conquests of the night before, as they ate leftover breakfast food, and vandalized the milk machine so it would work. Yes, they used the f verb. I was there because the literature in the room says breakfast ends at 10, but it ends at 9. The room clerk told me they had told me the times at check in (they hadn't). And I didn't think that was an appropriate response. But the front desk was like that. Every time I approached they watched warily, like I might open fire. (I'm a surburban mom in her 50's, overweight, etc. I smile a lot) The last morning, as I checked out I mentioned that most hotels slipped the bill under the door the last night. Goodness! The clerk took huge umbrage at this, lamenting that she was alone at the desk and couldn't leave and how would she have time to print them all up and people always argued about the rates so what about that, etc. But the guy in the torn and dirty yellow T shirt behind the desk went one better. He loftily announced to me that he had stayed in MANY hotels all over the west and none of them had ever done that. Ever. He was unwilling to acknowledge that possibly some do (like the one I stayed in that very night in Boise). Not only was the customer not right, but the customer was....lying? Hallucinating? I did not think it was polite to point out that perhaps we did not stay in the same type of hotels, but then here I was at a hotel where someone behind the desk in a torn and dirty T shirt would argue with a guest about their experiences.

Owner of this hotel, the trick is that the front desk may despise the guests, but they must conceal this at all costs. and even pretend they like us!

So don't argue about the rates, folks, and there won't be a bill under the door.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank rodetripper
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Hotel was very clean, good size rooms. Staff was not "professional" looking, but very nice. Breakfast could use some help, but there are good choices in walking distance of hotel. Good location. I felt the hotel was very high in price, but it is hard to find a newer, clean hotel in W.Yellowstone.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family