“Even with its flaws, probably best place to stay in town.”

Holiday Inn West Yellowstone
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed here in 2007, 2008 and 2011 prior to this stay in May 2012.
my notes May 2012: King w/ Q pull-out, n/s, refer & micro.
As I first walked up to the front desk for check-in at 4:30 Jonny (nametag, 20ish)
asked me if he could help me (as he was shuffling papers and putting them
into different stacks there on the counter) and before I could say anything,
he made a comment about how things (the papers?) were a mess around there.
I said I wanted to check-in. Jonny asked me if I was a Priority Club Member,
instead of greeting me as a member. I said 'of course'. Apparently, by asking
if someone is a club member or not, saves him time by then knowing which
stack of reservations to look thru to find the folder with room card keys, etc.
I was not recognized as a Gold member and not offered any newspaper,
bottled water, cookies, snack, or anything else as a token of appreciation.
I was also not welcomed back to this hotel, where I had stayed in 3 previous
years (2007, 2008 & 2011). During my check-in, Jonny (who was not the only
front desk person on duty at the time) stopped assisting me two times to
respond to radio calls from another staff member that was having a problem
with another guest that had just entered his 'non-smoking' room and found dirty
ashtrays and smoke smell. If there was another decent place in town available
that night, I would have considered cancelling our reservation here, but they
require cancellation two days prior to arrival to result in no charge, so at this
point I was stuck paying for the night anyway.
Common area woodwork, paint, laminate countertops, carpet & elevators show
plenty of signs of wear. Our room countertops were solid-surface material & in
very good condition. Wood furniture in room showed signs of wear, one of the
dresser drawer faces had a 5 inch piece of wood that had been split off.
Our room's entry door latch & deadbolt were loose and had about 3/8" of slack
(play), with the door closed & latched, light from the hallway shone in our room
all night, all along the vertical side of the door, the gap was almost wide
enough to insert the barrel of a standard Holiday Inn ball-point pen.
The bathroom exhaust fan had rumbling noise, sounded worn-out.
The in-room wi-fi dis-connected twice during a period of an hour.
Bathroom door would not latch closed, and when pushed to its jamb &
released, it would move ajar about 7".
Even with its flaws, it is probably currently the best choice of a place to stay
in this town, but a 'resort' ? ?

Dear BigTXN,

I would like to thank you for taking time to write this review. We truly appreciate receiving your feedback.

I truly appologize for the issues you had during you stay with us. I have spoken to the Front Desk Associate and our management team and we will strive to address and upgrade our hotel.

Our goal is to provide the highest quality guest experience and I regret we did not meet our normally high standards. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future as continually try to improve and update our property.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Although this Holiday Inn was a little more expensive than other Holiday Inns it was in keeping with other hotels in the area. No free breakfast, but many places nearby to go for breakfast. Staff friendly, rooms nice, but best thing is the location in relationship to Yellowstone National Park. This was our 2nd stay and if lucky enough to return to this area we would stay again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mer986

Dear Mer986,

Thank you for such a complimentary review. We are so glad we could assist you with your lodging & restaurant needs and by the sounds of it, exceed your expectations. I will certainly pass your kind words to the Holiday Inn team so they see all their hard work is paying off.

We at Delaware North Companies do strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time.

We hope to have you as our guests again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

This is probably the first review I am writing and its only because how bad this place was.

I have always thought of holiday Inn as a "safe" option. I feel in general holiday Inns are decent to stay. However, this one was a total bummer.

Rooms:
They are pretty crappy. They look old and dingy and seriously need some renovation. The basins are right in the room, there are stains on the floor carpet and on the walls. Yes they have a microwave but it pretty much looks like they had grabbed one from a garage sale for $5 or something like 10 years ago. The insides of the microwave were stained. Btw, there are no microwavable cups or glasses or anything. The bath rooms look pretty old too and the liners look like they have not been changed for a while. The beds were horrible quality too.
All this was still bearable however following two things absolutely pissed me:

1. The room and esp the bathroom door squeaks a lot. That is right, a 3 star hotel has doors that sqeak!

The first night we stayed there , everyone in room was awake when one person has used the restroom at 2 a m in the morning. This was extremely disturbing and annoying. We told the front desk in the morning and they said they would take care of it during the day. Night when we were back from the park, we noticed that the doors were not fixed. We went downstairs and complained again. Front desk tried to help us but they could not fix the issue so they agreed to move us to a new room at 11 p.m in the night. So instead of relaxing in the room after a tiring day in the park we had to move rooms at 11 p.m in the night with no help from the staff. Even in the new room, there was the same issue. This time the front desk could fix it to some extent however, the problem did not completely go away. Infact, the front desk guy said something as ridiculous as "since this is earthquake prone region, we always have this issue". My question if you do anticipate this why don't you fix it before the customer actually comes and stays in the room.

2. When we came back from the park the first day, our room was in a complete mess. It looked like the room service had come and forgotten that the room needs to be cleaned.

Instead our things were misplaced and room was in a really bad condition with pillows and towels lying on the floor.

In short, If I had to come to yellowstone again, I will not live in this hotel. This hotel should not get any more than 1 star rating,

Room Tip: Please try to get something in the park. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank kr1010

Dear kr1010,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and bring these matters to our attention. I have spoken with both our housekeeping and maintainence departments to resolve the issues you experienced.

Our goal is to provide the highest quality guest experience and I regret we did not meet our normally high standards during you stay. I truly apologize that you and your family did not reach the relaxed and rejuvenated state anticipated upon arrival. Yellowstone country is a beautiful area and we should have provided the perfect setting for your get away.

I hope in the future you will give us another try as we continue to update and improve our Holiday Inn.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Granted, there aren't a lot of quality hotel/motel choices in West Yellowstone, so do yourself a favor and book WAY ahead to stay in the park itself... even the older properties, though fading (Old Faithful Inn) have character and place in their favor. The Holiday Inn, not so much. Thin scratchy towels in the old bathroom, linens that don't fit the very creaky, lumpy bed (meaning when you roll over they pull and bunch up- ugh!) Curtains that don't cover the windows at night. And here's the BEST... we asked for a non-street side room thinking it would be quieter, but at 5:45 AM an extraordinarily LOUD street scraper machine started up and went up and down a dirt side road for over an hour. When we asked the desk about it, the guy at first looked puzzled, and then said, oh yeh, they do that each week, and shrugged! RUN toward the Park and don't look back at the Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms at THIS inn!
3  Thank KateLosGatos
HIyellowstone, Manager at Holiday Inn West Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Kate,

Thank you for giving me open and honest feedback about the Holiday Inn in West Yellowstone. I have read your review and will be following up with your concerns with my respective managers on site.

Here at the Holiday Inn we embrace our guest's feedback so we may get better at providing a clean, comfortable place to stay for our guests. On the "street scraper", I have contacted the West Yellowstone City Manager and have passed on your comments about this so this doesn't happen to other guests at our hotel in the future.

We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay here at the Holiday Inn.

If you are in the area again and find you do stay with us please ask for me and I will make sure we hit our goal to create this special experience for you and your traveling party.

Michael K. Laundry
Holiday Inn

Reviewed 2 June 2012

My wife and i were in yellowstone in May. The holiday inn west yellowstone was very clean and just outside the gate to yellowstone. We had a room with a jucuzzi tub, great for the end of the day.We got the plan for $20 for food in the morning. Great place to stay, great price for the area.

1  Thank rwine9
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Our room was really nice and big, it had a hot tub, a small kitchen area and a nice big bed. The ice wasn't working on our floor and the power went out from 1am-5:30am, when we arrived they gave us a note stating the town was turning off the power due to work. It didn't really bother us we just set our phones to get up the next day and were very thankful that we were able to shower. The hot tub was very nice and relaxing, it was smack dab in your room, not the bathroom, we didn't have a problem with that.
It was just a quick drive to the entrance of Yellowstone, so if your unable to stay inside the park this hotel was very nice and clean.

1  Thank jengr
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This hotel is only two blocks from the West entrance of Yellowstone so is very convenient. The rooms are large and clean & have everything you need. The staff are friendly and helpful and genuinely interested in how your days at Yellowstone have been. The price is reasonable for what you get charged in this area, so give this hotel a go.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor, they are the nicest.
2  Thank macedon2

Dear Macedon2,

We hope to have you as our guests again in the near future.

Michael K Laundry