In the title, I really wanted to use another word instead of “tourists” but TripAdvisor probably wouldn’t approve it – it starts with ‘s’ and rhymes with “truckers”.
Stayed here for our trip to Yellowstone because we planned it late (just over a month out) and all the other hotels rated above Holiday Inn on TripAdvisor were full, and I’m on vacation so I really DON’T want to rough it out at a hotel rated worse than Holiday Inn.
The hotel and room meets expectations. Nothing too fancy but clean enough, with microwave and fridge. The bed was old but the pillows (marked soft and firm) were great. Insufficient power outlets, which I go into more detail about below.
But the service spoke for itself… saying, “we know that you didn’t really have a choice when you chose to stay here”.
1) When I asked about breakfast, the front desk person condescendingly nodded towards a sign that said breakfast was free only for IHG premium members. Dude, I have gold status with HHonors and wouldn't be at the Holiday Inn if I had a choice.
2) The A/C is in eco-mode and shuts off every now and then. I hate it when hotels have this because I have tinnitus and can’t sleep when there is no air circulating. I asked for a fan to be brought up to the room (which other hotels have offered) and the request was naturally declined. The front desk person did not offer any other solution when I said I could not sleep with the A/C off. (I brought my personal fan with me, as I usually do, but because of the shortage of power outlets, it involved dragging furniture around and encountering dust and cobwebs to set up.)
3) Most painful checkout process I have ever experienced. First, they had debited an extra $19 from my card – no reason for overestimating the price of my stay? Then, it seemed like they had put $600 back on my card when I checked out, and without a word of thanks or apology, they grumpily took a long time fixing it and asking me dumb questions while I waited much, much longer than I’m used to for checking out.
Also, there are very few accessible power outlets in the room. There were really only two designed for charging (at the desk) – this in a room with 2 queen beds meant to sleep 4. Between the 2 of us, we had a total of 7 devices to charge so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a lot more. There was no outlet at all next to the beds and we had to disconnect both the lamp and alarm clock, wading through dust and cobwebs.
Finally, we were looking for dinner at about 9:15. The “OPEN” sign on the hotel restaurant was lit but when we wandered in there was a sign saying that dinner was served only till 9 and there was nobody at all around to help us – so we ended up having to drive out to find dinner (nothing nearby)… what is a Holiday Inn without a restaurant open past 9?!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This hotel is the premier destination for Yellowstone family vacations, memorable meetings, conventions, weddings, and corporate retreats. Amenities include renovated guest rooms and suites, indoor pool, hot tub, in room microwaves, mini fridges and free WiFi. Our full service restaurant offers Montana cuisine and a full bar. Open year-round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn West Yellowstone reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn - West Yellowstone Hotel West Yellowstone
- West Yellowstone Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn West Yellowstone Montana