“Do not stay here!”

and 1 more site!
Sleepy Hollow Lodge
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have stayed in hotels all over the world, from six stars to hostel dorm beds, so far this is the worst place I have ever encountered with my entire life! We decide to stay this place because recommendation by a friend, but clearly the owners have changed after his stay. The people who is running this place just simply should not run a hotel. I have never write any bad review about any hotels before, but what we encountered in this place is just ridiculous.
1. When I booked the reservation I asked for a two bedroom cabin, but we added another room later on because we don't want to share one bathroom between four adults. Luckily we booked another one because their claimed two bedroom was not a two bedroom, it is just two separate sleeping area. When we checked in the guy was not friendly at all, he was just anxious to ask for the full payment. We did not see any staff besides the days we checked in and checked out.
2. We have stayed there for seven nights, the room was okay but it's not a cabin, wifi was terrible in one of the room we stayed. The room was not cleaned for one of the days and the bed was not made. Towers was not changed, but we didn't even bother to ask because we could not find anybody working.
3. My husband and I only ate the breakfast one time and we did not want to have it again. There was not much to eat, especially if you plan to stay the day in the park and go hiking, their breakfast won't feed you.
4. They charged me 92 dollars after we left without any explanation to me. I only found out when I checked my bank statements. After I email the owner I found out they accuses us for taking their towers and bath mat. I can swear on everything, we did not take a single thing from that place. My husband and my parents were on road trip in US from Toronto for about 3 weeks when we reached yellowstone. Every place we stayed has towers we did not need to take towers from anybody and definitely do not want to bring back dirty worn out towers back to Canada. And bath mat? We did not even have a bath mat in our room when we checked in. There are clearly managing issues with this place. Many of the days we stayed the tower wasn't change, some days there were only one tower in our room, and some other day there are too many towers.
I would never recommend anybody stay here. Everything is unprofessional, and you just don't feel your money is safe.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank vicky c
Dayne M, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

I'm sorry you feel this way. If your room wasn't cleaned, it's probably because your towels were hanging, which we don't change towels unless their on the floor, which is a common practice in hotels. If your bed wasn't made, it's because you left your belongings on the bed. Your room was made up every day, we are sure of that. As far as the breakfast, it is a continental breakfast, which is a cold, self service breakfast, also free of charge. Our wifi works just fine, though in the cabins that are further away, it is harder to pick up the signal on handheld devices (Iphones, tablets, etc.) You were charged the $92 because housekeeping reported the towels missing from you cabin.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sleepy Hollow many times in the "80's and 90's" when our kids were growing up. We kept coming back because of the setting under the beautiful pine trees and the nice clean cabins. On July 1 & 2 we visited for the first time in 17 years with our daughter and grandson and were assigned cabin 3 which has two rooms and a shared bath. The cabin is still in that same setting under the pine trees and looked just as it did when we last visited. When we entered the cabin we knew immediately we had made a mistake. The cabin was dirty and musty. The toilet did not shut off the entire time we were there. I'm not sure about anyone else but when I take a shower I don't like standing in 4 inches of water. The shower door had a 4 inch "lip" to keep the water inside and it would run over into the bathroom each time one of us took a shower. The carpet looked like it could have been there when we visited in 1982.

The Sleepy Hollow is far from how I remember it and I realize it is almost twenty years older and things do depreciate but that doesn't mean it has to be dirty. Clean the place up and fix the plumbing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank George R
Dayne M, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Hello,

We are sorry that you feel that way about your stay. If you had let us know about the toilet and the shower, we would have fixed it right away, but you never let us know about the issues and never gave us a chance to improve.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

+: convenient location, few minutes' drive to the west gate of yellowstone np
reasonable price, almost the lowest in town
fully equipped kitchen, easy to cook
-: hard to find staffs, before and after your day trip
problem unsolved, though they promised to(in our case, the unchanged towel)
poor breakfast
no microwave in one(our) cabin

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Dayne M, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope you had a great time in West Yellowstone. We are sorry, that you feel that we did not resolve your issues. Towels are changes, as in every other hotel, when you leave them on the floor, this way our staff knows, that you want them changed. Our motel offers continental breakfast which presupposes self service and absence of hot dishes. Some cabins have microwaves, the other don't. If you had asked for one specifically, we would have gladly provided one for you in your cabin.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

My family and I stayed in this little cottage for 6 nights. The service was ok. The room was clean. The location is great, and the small town is also nice. If you don't want a luxury vacation, it is definitely recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Dayne M, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you had a great vacation.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

This place is amazing, and I am quite surprised at the negative reviews that I have read. My family and I have been staying here since the early 80's and refuse to stay elsewhere. Rooms are nice and clean, service is excellent, and you get the rustic log cabin type environment that you think of when picturing Montana, not to mention the affordability(especially in comparison to other places in or around Yellowstone).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Dayne M, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Thank you for your positive response, we hope to see you again in the future!!!

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at sleepy hollow lodge for 2 nights during the 7/4 week which provides the very basic lodging services. You can tell easily that this lodge is not managed professionally. We made the reservation two months earlier. But they changed the rate during the check-in time. We provided all the documents to support our reservation while they can not give us any of their documents for their claim and explanation for the rate raise. Even their web site does not have the rate as they claimed. They refuse to refund the overcharge rudely. We won’t recommend this lodge to anyone unless he/she wants to risk his/her planned vacation at the door where few choices left to change a plan. This lodge does not do business in an honest and friendly way. The bad experiences truly can blemish a wonderful vacation.

4  Thank kunyison S
Dayne M, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

We are sorry to hear about your experience. However all our rates are for two people, and we adjust the rate according to the quantity of people checking in. You have made the reservation for certain number of people, but at the check in time it turned out to be more people in your group, which changed the rate accordingly. We have explained the rate change to you, and we are very sorry for the occurred misunderstanding.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I booked Cabin Type D (two rooms with kitchen) back in February 2012 and received a confirmation for my reservation. When we got there in July, we were told all cabins with kitchens were unavailable. Another two guests had the same problem (booking a kitchen and not getting one). In addition. the cabin was very dusty and dirty. The continental breakfast was in short supply. Coffee ran out before most of the guests were able have breakfast. There were three small containers of cereal, half a package of english muffins, and a bowl of rotten fruit. The food was hardly enough for eight people, let alone the 20 that were staying there at this time.

I had the opportunity as staying at this lodge in the past and had a very good experience. That is the reason I booked it this year. Larry and Charlotte knew how to treat people and the accommodations were very clean and neat. The breakfasts were plentiful and very good.

Paul E.

Room Tip: Don't go.