“I will not return”
Review of Duck Inn Lodge

Duck Inn Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Whitefish B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2014

After a long trip over a wet snow covered mountain pass we arrived at 1:30. Since check in time was 3:00 P.M., were told that there would be a $50.00 early arrival fee. This was not the warm welcome that I was expecting and was immediately turned off. Staff was friendly, breakfast was good and the room was nice. WIFI did not work in the room. When all is said and done, I will not return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dale O

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I would not stay here again! the cancellation policy was buried when I made reservations, and thinking a month would be ample time to not get charged and allow a room to be re- booked seemed reasonable in my time- NOT SO- within 30 days you are charged the entire room rate.
Checked into our "River View" room and saw the road and parking lock unless I was at the window or standing on the deck- room was above the front door- it was very loud from road and traffic lights. Asked for a different room and it was dark and very small. WIFI didn't work, The touted breakfast was canned fruit cocktail- yogurt and cheese sticks with apples as a fresh fruit option that had obviously been around for a bit and not edible. The room was also arranged so you couldn't get to the bathroom without stubbing your toes on the bed- the fireplace went on randomly and we couldn't get it turned off and no one was around at the hotel. when I went down stairs there was some young girl wondering the hotel that shouldn't have been there- front door appears to be unlocked all night as this was after 10pm. I think the place is way over priced and the owner is not friendly at all!. Person at front desk was friendly enough.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Beth B
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the Duck Inn. We stayed in a deluxe king room with a king bed, jacuzzi tub, and deck right on the river. Also included a bottle of wine. The room was a bit small, but very nice and the bed was really comfortable. The deck was a little small, I wish they had built it out a bit further so you could be closer to the river, but we still had a very nice evening sitting out watching the ducks on the river. We didn't have breakfast, so I can't comment on that, but overall, it was a really nice stay, and definitely worth the price when compared to the rates at inferior chain options in the area. The only downside, they did say it's walking distance to downtown Whitefish, and I suppose it technically is, but it's a rather long walk. We ended up driving into downtown for dinner rather than walking. I would recommend the Duck Inn for sure!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to be on the river, it's worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Whitefish, MT is a tourist town, and many places to stay in the area are very expensive for what you get. This place has considerably low prices for what you get. Our room had a fire place, Jacuzzi tub, balcony, bottle of campaign and breakfast included. The staff was very friendly, kind and sociable. Breakfast was AMAZING! It is a small place, so it is very very quiet. This is a wonderful place if you are looking to relax and soak up beautiful MT (not stay indoors and watch TV/ be on the internet!)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brooke W
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I took our older kids on a weekend getaway to snowboard Big Mountain. I am an avid B & B person as I prefer the special touch usually given to guests at these establishments. This place should not be classified as a B & B. First of all, when I called to inquire about a reservation, I was told "yes" they had the room I was asking about for those dates. I was then quoted a price, however, when it came time to give my c.c. information, the owner upped the price by $200.00 saying that the new price she was giving me was the "high season" price. Why on earth did she not give me that price in the first place? Not wanting to go through the whole process of looking again I just went ahead with the reservation. We showed up very late so did not have the opportunity to speak with anyone until morning. Breakfast, which I was told was a buffet style, wasn't even up to par to the continental breakfast served by Days Inn. String cheese, hard boiled eggs, numerous "grocery store" items set out and the works for me to make my own toast or even cook my own waffle. For the price we paid for this place for 2 days (almost $500.00) you would think that breakfast would have been prepared for me and of a much better quality. The only time during our stay that the innkeeper spoke to us was to make sure she got the hard copy of my husbands credit card. We were gone most of the day, returning to watch a movie in our room. At 11:00 p.m. I had to call the 800 #, go through the whole recording about how wonderful their property was to get through to the owner. I had to ask him to tell the group of people that were sitting downstairs, right under our door, yelling, laughing and making enough noise to wake the neighbors. I would expect that in an establishment that is supposed to cater to it's guests that there would be some sort of set times for everyone to not be using quiet courtesy towards the other guests. I might add the it appears that the innkeepers have music piped throughout the house for their guests enjoyment. However, this too wasn't turned off until I made my phone call; said music was then turned back on before 8:00 a.m. in the morning so sleeping in wasn't an option either. We came downstairs the second morning to the same exact breakfast with the addition of some banana bread and exited the establishment without a word from either owner. The beds here are soft and everything is clean. The property is very beautiful as is the house. But if you are expecting special treatment at this place, be prepared to be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank WickedSteed
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Fall colors and panoramic views located a short distance from town centre and train station. Personalized service and tasty breakfasts in a shared dining area overlooking the riverside view. Definitely give this location a try!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Serendipity052
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I spent way too long on the internet, phoning places that did not answer, and this is the slow season. We called and got an immediate answer here, and it is absolutely serenely comfortable. You enter into a plush homelike living room. We got a room with windows on two sides and a sliding door out to a patio and huge grassy area. Totally private outside area. And the river, did I mention the river? Jacuzzi bath, a bit small for all that is in it, and we both really dislike tvs mounted hospital room style; when did this become the rage? We like to watch news sitting up please. But otherwise, very happy. Come, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge
#7 of 17 in Whitefish
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
#3 of 17 in Whitefish

Been to Duck Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!