“Plus and minus review”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here for the start of vacation to visit Glacier National Park. Didn't realize that the park is actually a 30 minute drive from the hotel. Since we had a car though, this wasn't a problem and we really did like the town of Whitefish (and do plan to return).

We reserved a rainshower loft room which I thought would be good since we had our two kids - they each had a twin bed in a separate room (separately only by a flimsy set of louvered doors that didn't reach all the way to the floor). However, the two-story loft ended up being roasting hot each evening, after getting the afternoon sun in the large windows. (We did not have a view of the golf course. Perhaps that side would have been cooler.) There is fan that will suck out the hotter air but it was still rather warm to sleep, since there is no air conditioning.

The rainshower itself was fantastic (once we learned how to use it). It would help if they had some type of directions to explain to those of us who do not have such a shower at home. It took us a good 15 minutes of experimenting to figure it out.

A couple of complaints. Although check-in was at 4pm, our room wasn't ready until after 5:30pm (and we had been in the area checking since 2pm, after having flown in from the east coast). They kept telling us "one more hour." If they had said from the start that it wouldn't be until 5pm or whatever, that would have been better. By the third time I stopped by the front desk to check, I was losing my patience. The young man at the desk that third time was very nice and apologetic, unlike the young lady that had told me the previous few times "we're basically turning over the whole hotel today."

And as some other reviewers have said, the housekeeping isn't that great. I was pleased that the bathroom appeared to be cleaned thoroughly each day but the rest of the room needed some attention. They clearly didn't vacuum the first floor (found toenail clippings on the rug) and there was a thick layer of dust on the bedside lamps in the upstairs. Also, the subflooring in the first floor as you walked into the main room from the entry hallway seemed to be disintegrating. You took a noticeable dip as you walked over it. I got to stepping over that spot as I was afraid I might fall through the floor one time!

For the price (roughly $300 per night), I was expecting better from this hotel. I will be back to Whitefish but will not be returning to the Grouse Mountain Lodge.

There are newer reviews for Grouse Mountain Lodge

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Nice location, but rooms are dimly lit. Friendly and helpful employees. Wish hotel wouldn't inconvenience guest for a wedding should have been a better way than make everyone walk the long way around building just to get to other side it through a maze of hallways to go up and down hidden stairs. For the price you pay for this place, not worth it. At those prices, you would expect cable TV but there is non, not that you will watch much in such a nice area. At least they have free wifi

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Excellent front desk, bar and restaurant service. Spacious clean rooms with nice bathrooms. Air conditioner/heater was noisy but didn't kill the experience. Good hotel food. Easy and spacious parking. Great pick overall.

1  Thank Solomon N
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The bed was super comfortable and the staff was extremely helpful. The Assistant Manager helped us expand our plans to end up having a much more fulfilling vacation than we had planned on our own! Whitefish is a great place to stay to see the West side of Glacier!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeannie b
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on the front end and 1 night on the back end of a trip touring Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes. The hotel has some very nice perks. They offer a shuttle service to and from the airport as well as a shuttle service to and from the downtown area where the shops and restaurants are located. We rarely had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to get rides back and forth and some of the drivers like to offer tips on where to eat and what to do in the area. The walk to the downtown area is not a short one. We had thought it would be but I'm guessing it is just under a mile. No need to take that walk unless you want to.

The lodge is on a golf course and also has a few tennis courts available for guests to use. They even had tennis equipment that we were able to borrow.

Small outdoor Jacuzzi and small indoor pool, but very nice as well as a nice sitting area outside by the hot tub.

Beds were comfortable, rooms a nice size and some have two sinks, one inside as well as one outside the bathroom with a magnified mirror (thank you) and decent lighting above the mirror. Free wi-fi in room.

We had breakfast at the lodge and only once. Service for breakfast was very very slow . Certainly they were understaffed for the number of people seated.Tasty food however.

Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

My only complaint regards the maid service. Our rooms did not get made up until after 6PM and this just shouldn't be. Not when a sign is put on the door at 9:30 AM that the room is ready to be serviced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has the second sink. Other than that, I believe all of the rooms are pretty simi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Great place with great service. We got the cheaper room which was nice but a little plain not a lot of decor like the rest of the resort has. We will definitely be staying there again. We visited the lounge where the bartender was very nice and knowledgeable about the area. Our Server was very polite, well dressed and our food was great. It is only 40 minutes from Glacier national park.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank beemer56
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the Grouse Mt. Lodge for one night at the beginning of July. Unfortunately, when the charge posted on our credit card, they had charged us for two nights. It took two days of making phone calls and leaving messages before I was able to speak to the person who could tell me why they had made the charge and resolve the problem. Even though I left messages with the assistant manager, the accountant and the manager, no one ever returned my calls. The reason they charged us for two nights--- because my sister had left behind a small, empty carry-on bag that had a broken zipper which she was unable to repair. The bag was left next to the trashcan. From what I was told, when housekeeping showed up at 3:00, "luggage was still in the room," so they "assumed" we were staying an extra day. [To top it off, we had checked with the front desk when we were leaving/checking out at 11:00 to see if we had to take care of the balance on our bill (we had paid a deposit when we reserved the room) that was left under our door or if it would be charged to our card. We were told we were all set.]
When I was finally able to speak to the assistant manager, I was told that the extra night's charge would be refunded. I am disappointed that the employees of this lodge would automatically charge us for an extra night when our reservation was for one night. I would hope that this establishment or any other, would have tried to contact us thinking that we had accidentally left a belonging behind. Not the case here!
As for the lodge itself, the accommodations were nice, though I am not a fan of open shower stalls. The lighting was very dim and a more convenient place to plug in the iron would be helpful. We had been traveling for over a week in several national parks before we arrived at the Grouse Mt. Lodge, so the washing machine and dryer that were available for guests was great. The food in the restaurant was good and though we didn't take advantage of it, there were complimentary chair massages available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a way to avoid hearing the train horn/whistle that goes off frequently during t...