“Well maintained 100+ years property”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Warren, New Jersey
“Well maintained 100+ years property”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

You can't tell it is a 100+ years lodge from its modern and convenient amenities. Our room is spacious with tons of storage spaces and has golf course view, so we had a quiet good night sleep. Our only complaint was that the bath tub was clogged by hair from previous guests.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wei H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Thai first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The lodge is beautifully landscaped and the workers are very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean, quiet, and nice. The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to leave the next morning. We enjoyed the fire pit on the public patio in the evening. We visited with other guests and watched the bats swoop through the sky as we warmed ourselves by the fire. The gift shop has a good selection of "Montana" gifts with prices that are in line with other stores. It is located a short distance from the city, but far enough away to not be troubled with noises or city lights. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Southernyaya
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2014

It's great they have some pet friendly rooms; however, when I phoned to make the reservations, I specifically asked the rep on the phone if leaving our dog in his kennel if we went to dinner or left the room in general would be acceptable as we had just canceled a room because your pet is never allowed to be in the room unattended at another place. She assured me it would be 100% fine so I reserved the room.
We get there and they tell us we will be charged $500(!!!) if we have any complaints about our dog making noise! $500!!!!
Had she told us this on the phone, we wouldn't have brought him! Our dog isn't a barker, thankfully, but to spring that on a guest at the time of check in is ridiculous.
The other place was completely upfront about their policy and I totally respect them for letting us know right away.
Not Grouse Mtn Lodge though.
I'm not surprised something like this happened though... The woman on the phone had me spell my fiancé's name five times (all the while using phonetics mind you) and couldn't figure out how to explain there cancelation policy. We were booked within 30 days of the reservation and if you cancel within that you are charged a $25 fee. Cancel within three days and you are charged a full nights stay.
Also, granted the room was a pet friendly room, it was very apparent the carpet was soiled by little creatures that have been through before.
Even when I phoned to let them know the phone in our room wasn't working (totally my fault because I was dialling the area code first and it is unnecessary in Whitefish apparently) and she wasn't even the least bit friendly from start to finish. I wasn't thrilled about calling down there but I still put a smile on my face while I was talking to her! And this was a different woman than I had reserved the room with. So now, both people I've spoken to at the hotel have been cranky and/ or dim!
Not the first time we've stayed
here but will likely be the last!

• Stayed August 2014
Dan H, Public Relations Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Hi RoxanneBeaton,
Thanks for leaving a little feedback about your recent stay. I'd like to apologize for the confusion you experienced regarding our pet policy. We will be reviewing our pet policy with all of our reservation agents and front desk staff to make sure they are providing the most accurate information possible.
Best regards,
Dan Hansen
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have nothing bad to say about the place other then the price. Rooms are fine, hotel staff were friendly and amenities were just ok. altogether a nice place that is just highly over priced. That's all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yaronkk
Ventura, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

GML must have been an awesome place when it was built in the 1970s. I'm sure this property has made piles of $$$ for the owners but they have obviously forgotten to reinvest in upkeep.
We went to check out the pool and the room smells like mold and chlorine. The jacuzzi tubs aren't even full.
The floor in our room has soft spots where the wood is rotten.
Outside door to north stairs doesn't work.
Beds seem to be ok!
Like All hotels near Glacier N P this place is way overpriced...
Not recommended!!!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sleepytime53
Hi Sleepytime53,
Thanks for leaving some feedback about your recent stay. Grouse Mountain Lodge opened in 1984 and has undergone major renovations over the last three years including the lobby, restaurant, bar and all 143 guest rooms. Planned for next year are a new deck and hot tubs to replace the existing structure. We've checked the north end door and it seems to be in working order.
Best regards,
Dan Hansen
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Glacier National Park. Our room was fine - no issues with cleanliness as other reviewers have reported. Bed was comfortable enough, good a/c. The hotel is huge - our room was at the end, so it was a long walk back to the lobby. (There was an exit door on the end, so we could just park over there rather than using the lobby.)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erin_Carrying_On
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Loved this lodge…..it's beautiful, welcoming, staff is extremely helpful without being overbearing, great restaurant. I heard the spa was incredible but I waited too long and couldn't get a reservation…I guess it is incredible. Our room was very clean and comfortable, we loved the bed and pillows. Only downside is make sure you book the second floor…..we stayed on the first and so did our friends and we both could hear everything upstairs and when upstairs guests decide to get up at 5:30 and you don't, face it you are up. The location is great, close to the downtown and only about 30 minutes to Glacier National Park and the Glacier International Airport.

Room Tip: As mentioned above….book the second floor because of the room noise. Not much of a view, either park...