“Disappointed”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We thought this was "cabinish" but found out it was just the reception area that met our expectation. Our room was just a "regular" room although it was quite large. The carpet was stained terrible, we were down by the vending machine and laundry area so that was loud until around 10 pm. The pool was very heavy chlorine and only one hot tub worked 1 day out of the 3 nights we stayed. It was a very high priced hotel for the quality they offered. It was very run down and in need of a refurbishment!!! We were on the 1st floor and the walking overhead was loud. Walls were paper thin as well.

Room Tip: upstairs as it is loud of people walking over head
1  Thank Cynthia J
Dan H, Public Relations Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Hi Cynthia J,
Thank you for sharing some feedback from your recent stay at Grouse Mountain Lodge. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. We have a large gallery of photos on our website which we hope portrays an accurate perception of what staying at Grouse Mountain Lodge feels like. We also have plans to completely remodel the hot tub deck including new tubs.
Best regards,
Dan Hansen

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had a lovely time at the Grouse Mountain Lodge. The staff was attentive and helpful. The beds were so comfortable that you did not want to get up in the morning. I even bought two of the gel foam pillows from the gift shop. Everything was very clean.

We purchased one of the last rooms available and were next to a green on the golf course. There were a few mishaps with balls but that made it all the more fun! Lots of laughs and friendly smiles from the golfers.

Please note: there is some major road construction going on by the lodge this summer which makes it hard to get in or out of the parking lot. However, we didn't notice any noise in the lodge or restaurant.

A great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2014

While driving to the area my wife told me she made reservations at the Grouse Mountain Lodge. I quickly checked Trip Advisor and became concerned because of a few of the reviews posted. What we found was a beautiful property, with very helpful staff. My wife went to the dining room after closing time and one of the workers cleaning up stopped what he was doing went back to the kitchen and got her a great piece of Huck cheesecake for a midnight snack. The room was modern (granite) and clean. The bed was perfect with lots of nice pillows. The lobby is classic American Lodge pole construction with big fireplaces and an outside fire pit off the back deck. The deer roaming the parking lot was kinda cool too.

3  Thank Neal H
Reviewed 24 August 2014

You can't tell it is a 100+ years lodge from its modern and convenient amenities. Our room is spacious with tons of storage spaces and has golf course view, so we had a quiet good night sleep. Our only complaint was that the bath tub was clogged by hair from previous guests.

3  Thank Wei H
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The lodge is beautifully landscaped and the workers are very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean, quiet, and nice. The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to leave the next morning. We enjoyed the fire pit on the public patio in the evening. We visited with other guests and watched the bats swoop through the sky as we warmed ourselves by the fire. The gift shop has a good selection of "Montana" gifts with prices that are in line with other stores. It is located a short distance from the city, but far enough away to not be troubled with noises or city lights. I would definitely stay again!

2  Thank Southernyaya
Reviewed 22 August 2014

It's great they have some pet friendly rooms; however, when I phoned to make the reservations, I specifically asked the rep on the phone if leaving our dog in his kennel if we went to dinner or left the room in general would be acceptable as we had just canceled a room because your pet is never allowed to be in the room unattended at another place. She assured me it would be 100% fine so I reserved the room.
We get there and they tell us we will be charged $500(!!!) if we have any complaints about our dog making noise! $500!!!!
Had she told us this on the phone, we wouldn't have brought him! Our dog isn't a barker, thankfully, but to spring that on a guest at the time of check in is ridiculous.
The other place was completely upfront about their policy and I totally respect them for letting us know right away.
Not Grouse Mtn Lodge though.
I'm not surprised something like this happened though... The woman on the phone had me spell my fiancé's name five times (all the while using phonetics mind you) and couldn't figure out how to explain there cancelation policy. We were booked within 30 days of the reservation and if you cancel within that you are charged a $25 fee. Cancel within three days and you are charged a full nights stay.
Also, granted the room was a pet friendly room, it was very apparent the carpet was soiled by little creatures that have been through before.
Even when I phoned to let them know the phone in our room wasn't working (totally my fault because I was dialling the area code first and it is unnecessary in Whitefish apparently) and she wasn't even the least bit friendly from start to finish. I wasn't thrilled about calling down there but I still put a smile on my face while I was talking to her! And this was a different woman than I had reserved the room with. So now, both people I've spoken to at the hotel have been cranky and/ or dim!
Not the first time we've stayed
here but will likely be the last!

• Stayed: August 2014
Dan H, Public Relations Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Hi RoxanneBeaton,
Thanks for leaving a little feedback about your recent stay. I'd like to apologize for the confusion you experienced regarding our pet policy. We will be reviewing our pet policy with all of our reservation agents and front desk staff to make sure they are providing the most accurate information possible.
Best regards,
Dan Hansen

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have nothing bad to say about the place other then the price. Rooms are fine, hotel staff were friendly and amenities were just ok. altogether a nice place that is just highly over priced. That's all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Yaronkk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge
Belton Chalet
Belton Chalet
#3 of 6 in West Glacier
Cedar Creek Lodge & Conference Center

Been to Grouse Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!