“Nice Hotel close to town”
Review of Pine Lodge

Pine Lodge
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my first time staying in Whitefish. We usually stay in Butte to visit family, but my husband wanted to show me 'the greener side' of Montana.

The hotel was clean and spacious. We had a king bed, coffee table, sofa bed, desk with chairs, fridge and coffee maker and a balcony. Our room was overlooking the river and pool. it was very quiet even though it was right next to the elevator. The bed was fine, our fridge was a little finicky it was fine the first night, but by the next night, it seemed to be giving out, our cooler packs weren't as cold. I did find a used coffee filter pouch in the coffee maker-yuck. The pool was very clean and we used it both nights. The hot tub was also very clean as well, I like that both were coated so that you don't brush up against bare concrete or sit on it and ruin your swimsuit. We do wish the pool was open later as it was pretty warm-even at 11pm it would be nice to take a night time swim to cool off. There seem to have been some general upgrades in the room, the bathtub was a one piece and looked to be brand new, and there were a few cracked tiles on the floor. One thing I noticed was that the floor of the tub was higher than the floor of the bathroom, I'm pretty short, so I almost fell when I got out of the shower, I would appreciate a hold bar or something on the wall.

Breakfast is the standard pastries, cereal, fruit, and a bowl of hard boiled eggs. I saw waffles, but then noticed they were the previously frozen type, so that was disappointing-I overheard a guy in the parking lot complaining "there is a difference between a fresh cooked waffle and a frozen waffle, a frozen waffle is not a real waffle", I had to laugh because I agree. We ended up going to town to get breakfast.

Bring your bug spray, if you want to sit on the balcony! The mosquitoes are quite large and loud, but slow, so I was usually able to kill them before they got to me. I could feel them squirm in my hand when I caught them.

We really appreciate that the hotel was pet friendly, but we wish that we could have the option to leave out dogs in a crate (that we brought with us) in the room, they are very well behaved and don't incessantly bark-there are hotels that we stay at that allow us this option, some even have crates they let guests borrow free of charge. It was too hot to leave them in the car during the day so we basically had to wait until 7:30 pm to go out to dinner so we could drive to town, park in the shade and leave them in the vehicle while we went to eat.

The staff was very friendly, we would stay here again the next time we visit Whitefish.

Room Tip: I liked the view from our river view room on the 3rd floor. We would put our dogs in the car while...
1  Thank LISA L

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Best hotel if you are on a budget in Whitefish. Yes, it could use a few updates but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. Fridge and microwave too. We did not have breakfast as we were only there for one night and our flight left early. Our room overlooked the river and the pool. The indoor/outdoor pool was clean. The service was very good.
We had originally planned to stay at another hotel in Whitefish that had very good reviews but after reading a review that their indoor pool was out of order about a month before I booked one night at Pine Lodge (because it was all I could get) as a backup. It was our last night and I really wanted a pool. Three weeks later we called the other hotel an were told the pool was ok.
but I had a hunch and kept Pine Lodge The day before, when I had to decide whether to keep or cancel Pinelodge I called the other hotel and was told the pool had been tested but was "cloudy" but might clear up. I told them we would only stay the one night. No bad review for them because the person I spoke with was honest and very nice because when we arrived it was indeed "cloudy". I do appreciate their honesty and the rooms there were good, just no pool to use.
Thank goodness for Pine Lodge. They saved our last night if vacation with a lovely pool and good accomodations. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
1  Thank DianaCR504
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First of all - ask for a room at the back. The front of the lodge faces Spokane Ave and is busy and noisy. Closing the window and running the air helps - but this is Montana - and the fresh air would have been great. The rooms are average and the bathroom could use some updating. The complimentary breakfast is heavy on carbs - frozen waffles, bagels, bread, etc. We were there for one night and it was okay. A longer stay and I would have wanted a nicer place.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back away from the street
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We originally planned to arrive in Whitefish by Amtrak at 7:30 in the morning, get breakfast, rent a car, and head east. Amtrak changed its schedule (it has since changed in back) and we got into Whitefish at 4:10 a.m. We waited at the station a while and then decided to walk to the rental car office, in case it opened early. It did not, but across the street I saw the Pine Lodge and thought maybe we could get a few hours sleep. We were extremely tired due to the weird train schedule and little sleep. We called Pine Lodge and they were very welcoming. They charged us half the usual rate as long as we checked out by noon. They pointed out that breakfast, if we wanted it then, would be free. We ate, got three hours of sleep on a comfortable bed, took showers in a very nice bathroom, and headed out. It really made a difference in our vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jacob l
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We came midweek unannounced and wanted to stay 2 nights in Whitefish. We drove around and looked around town. Stopped in some places . . Resort types and most were very very pricey and or a bit rude. We came back down out of Whitefish and saw the Pine lodge. Stopped and got a wonderful room . . Comfortable bed . . Flat screen TX and an awesome swimming pool with a hot tub . . Plus free breakfast. The price was perfect and the staff were the best.
We'll be back!!!!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Xochi H
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed her for 2 nights in May 2014, enjoyed the sites from the balcony over looking the pool and the river. This hotel is within 1 mile of downtown that has great restaurants and some good bars. There are also a few antique shops to shop at. There is a Safeway store just down the street also. Room had a couch and a bar fridge which was nice. I would stay here again if I was in the area. ASK FOR A RIVER VIEW ROOM.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 4th floor, they have vaulted ceilings. We had room 400.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank unhappyduffer
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in January with Hockey Team. Check in was quick and efficient and the location is central to everything. Rooms are clean and comfortable with small fridge. Outdoor/Indoor pool was a hit with the kids. Only thing that could be improved upon was their continental breakfast. Poor selection of healthy items (no yogurt, protein. Lots of sugar based products). Other than that would recommend based on the price and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family