“Beautiful resort near Glacier” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodge at Whitefish Lake

Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
Bellingham, WA
“Beautiful resort near Glacier”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently spent 4 nights at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake. Beautiful resort right on the lake. The rooms were really nice - comfortable bed, kitchenette, huge bathroom with walk-in shower and separate soaker tub, beautiful fireplace, nice deck with view of the lake. The 2 restaurants both face the water and the food is good. The front desk staff is very friendly, as is the concierge, and the valets were really nice and remembered our cars every time.

However, the food service staff needed additional training. Room service orders were really late, food was forgotten, silverware wasn't included, things like that. We were there right in mid-June and I have a feeling it was their new summer staff who hadn't all be trained properly.

I have no experience with the spa, fitness center, or marina services. But, the pool and hot tub were really nice - also right on the water.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MSkoczek, Executive Assistant at Lodge at Whitefish Lake, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
We greatly appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake! We have followed up on the room service issue during your stay and appreciate your comment as it helps us in providing a better experience for our guests. We hope to have you as our guest again for another lakeside vacation!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
boston, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake to begin our 2 week vacation in Montana. To visit Glacier and Waterton National Parks we chose to stay in three different locations in and around the parks for different perspectives of NW Montana/Canada. Our first week in Whitefish was undoubtedly the best part of our vacation largely due to the hospitality we found from the staff at The Lodge at Whitefish Lake. We had a phenomenal time; our room, dining experience, service, location and amenities were, in our opinion, all top notch. We checked in on Tuesday July 8 and checked out on a Saturday July 12.

Hotel Location: The Lodge is located about 15-20 mins from Kalispell Airport which made it ideal to get to after a long day of travel. The distance to Whitefish Center was within a couple miles of the Lodge and while I suppose you could walk, we drove or took their shuttle into town for dinner, drinking and/or shopping. I loved that the sun didn't set until quite late so if we were driving....we knew where we were going till we felt comfortable with the area. The hotel is conveniently located about 30 minutes from the West Entrance to GNP. It was also easy to get to everything else we needed to during our stay in the West Glacier area, including Whitefish Mountain(barely a mile down the road) and Whitefish Golf Course (a few miles away). One of our sightseeing days from the Whitefish area took us to Browning, passed East Glacier(via route f2) and it took us about 1.5-2 hours to do so. So there is a lot of driving if your not careful in your planning. The Lodge is also very close to a Safeway, which is where we went for a disposable cooler, ice, and snacks on days were were going to be out and about for the entire day.

Room: We had a Standard King Studio Suite on the third floor of the main building, booked through our travel agent in March. Our room had a small comfortable balcony that, while overlooking the parking area in the front of the building above valet/registration, was rarely noisy and provided us sufficient outdoor views. We tried to upgrade our room to a lakefront view upon checkin, but there were no rooms to be had. While room tips mention splurging for a lakefront room, one runs the chance of the area being noisy and at an additional cost. We spent enough time in the restaurant, lounge and outdoor areas that paying 50-100 dollars more for a "view" (327 vs 400+) did not seem worth it in our opinion. The room and views were lovely where we were. Our room was very spacious; comfortable king size bed and pillows, sitting area with fireplace, wet bar area with refrigerator and microwave, extremely large bathroom with a sunken tub, double sinks and a walk-in shower with great water pressure and full amenities. If I were to make any comments on the room itself it would be to mention that the air conditioning was not strong and took a good deal of time to get somewhat cool. We also found that one of the vents was closed so we opened it and while it got a bit cooler, I would not say that the ac worked wonderfully. Also, free access to wifi is great, however we had issues in our room, so much so that IT came up to check it out and apologized but said that in some rooms, wifi had not been working all that well, despite having a company in a couple weeks prior to work on the wireless connections. Ours was just one of those rooms. However, I simply went outside my door and sat on a nearby couch or chair and had wifi connection without incident. Inconvenient...not really. There was also a business area with computers and wireless access on our floor to use at will if needed.

Dining:
Coffee Kiosk: My husband got coffee at this little shop in the main lobby early in the mornings and while the coffee was adequate, it was definitely not as nice as the coffee served for breakfast in the dining room. While only slightly disappointing, maybe its something to look into for improvement.

Dining Room-Breakfast: We ate breakfast in the dining room on several occasions; price was reasonable for hotel prices and the quality was very good. I highly recommend an egg white omelet and the banana french toast. Both very yummy and substantial.

Dining Room-Dinner: We ate dinner one night in the restaurant and made a reservation(though it did not appear busy or needed, but was encouraged). Food was very good. No need to dress up.....very comfortable setting with a great view. In all honesty, my husband and I have simple tastes in food, so it doesn't take too much to impress us. The menu had fine dining dishes and while I'd have liked a few other choices on the menu, I found the Waygu meatloaf to be extremely tasty along with a creamy side of mashed potatoes. My husband had the salmon and was pleased. Service in the dining room was friendly and professional and attention to detail was seen. Prices were within reason and we would have eaten there again had we had the opportunity.

Tiki Bar-Grille: The Tiki bartenders made a great margarita and the choices of local beers on tap were satisfactory. Going to the Sun IPA and others were great for local flavor. We had lunch outside as well and while the menu is limited; the burger and chicken sandwiches and fries hit the spot on a hot sunny day on the lake. A great vibe!

Services
Front Desk- Friendly. More than adequate. Somewhat inconsistent with knowledge and suggestions for the local area but I just went to the concierge for local information. Good, just not outstanding....and for our needs, we did not require anything more than to check in and check out and make a few shuttle requests.

Concierge- Shining Stars of the property!! Kudos go to Mandi, Samantha and most of all Amanda. From beginning to end all of these ladies were consummate professionals. I reached out to Amanda via email a month or so prior to our arrival to get an idea of what should be planned before our visit and what could be left to chance. She was spot on with her suggestions and we felt like we did not miss out on anything during our visit. She organized our sunset cruise(more on that later), recommended and booked our Blackfeet Reservation Jeep Tour with Blackfeet Outfitters, put us in touch with the Marina to book our boat rental(more later), made our dinner reservations at the Lodge, Tupelo Grille, and Whitefish Golf Course and provided us with maps and directions to the West Entrance to Glacier National Park and around Whitefish in general. All three women were engaging and interested in our stay and were always helpful whenever we stopped by. What was most impressive is that they were honest!!!! If they didn't think we should spend our time in a particular place after getting to know what we wanted for our days of sightseeing, they would tell us. We were appreciative of this since we did not want to spend our time needlessly. I cannot say enough about these three ladies. I would not hesitate to return because of the service provided by this concierge staff.

Valet- All of these gentleman were funny, helpful, interested and absolutely adorable!!! Valet is complimentary but you are free to self park. We self parked at times but mostly we valeted our SUV and every day we were asked about our plans, where we had lunch, where we were going for dinner, if we were enjoying ourselves and did we need directions. Everything was always "so easy to get to" according to the guys. They also had their own suggestions on what to order at area restaurants. They were ALWAYS right on target!! Their interest was genuine. In other places we have stayed that have had shuttles, we have never really utilized them, but here it was so easy, that we used the shuttle almost every night to get into town and it was a treat not having to drive after long days of hiking and driving. They have a brand new suburban and a large passenger van. Each time we took the shuttle, we were in the suburban and we were the only ones being dropped off or picked up. The driver was always pleasant and wasn't put out in the least. It was wonderful!!! It is definitely something to take advantage of if you want to go into town. I wish I remembered the young man's name, but on one occasion, one of the valet offered to empty out our cooler of melted ice from our day and take it apart to dry before he parked our car. I thought that he went above and beyond with a smile. Their service went a long way in making a good impression and I felt welcomed at every turn. Each day we would give them our extra cold waters as the days were quite hot and they seemed to be on their toes all the time!!

Housekeeping- There were a couple of days that we were out of our rooms very early and returned around 4pm and our room was just being serviced. Im not sure if its customary to leave certain things in their place in a guests hotel room, so i will give the benefit of the doubt here. But I am ok, if housekeeping staff, empties what looks like a glass of water, throws out empty plastic cups and replenishes, empties melted ice in the ice bucket from the night before and generally tidies up. These things were not done in our room and I wondered if it was policy. Never followed up because it wasnt a huge issue, but except for replenishing shampoo, towels, and making the bed, other details werent tended to. I think perhaps that our person was not sure of what to leave and what to throw away...so I'll leave it at that. The young lady who serviced our room was pleasant, smiled but little verbal interaction.

Pool- The pool area was lovely and well kept. Sadly, we swam only once because of our busy schedule and were disappointed we couldn't have spent more time relaxing. I did not have a chance to enjoy the hot tub much either but both were just wonderful areas to spend some time. Pool hours were generous and towels and chairs were plentiful when we wanted them. Drink delivery was quick and efficient. It was getting very hot the week we were there; high 90s and I could see that the area could get very busy on weekend days but during the week we were there, there was plenty of room for everyone. I saw no evidence of "locals" as suggested in a prior post so perhaps the issue has been dealt with.

Marina- All of the staff at the Marina including Heath were very helpful and very accommodating. Prior to our arrival I had scheduled a sunset cruise on the Lady of the Lake, their 31 ft wooden cruise boat, manned by "Captain Skip". We decided that seeing the lake at 9 o'clock at night viewing multiple sunsets while a captain manned the boat would be romantic and a lovely way to spend an evening. It was definitely pricey and in retrospect, perhaps sitting on the dock watching the sunset over the lake would have been good enough, since we were renting a boat the next day for a few hours on our own. Ultimately, it was a memory and a wonderful experience. Captain Skip was a lovely retired gentleman who had many stories throughout our one hour spin around the lake with a bottle of champagne. We also scheduled to rent a power/ski boat on another day for a few hours (with no prior boating experience) to explore the lake by ourselves. Heath communicated with me on several occasions so that we booked the most appropriate boat for my husband and I and at a time that fit our schedule. We thought that our boat rental for a couple hours was reasonably priced (85/hr + fuel) and it did not require anything more than a quick tutorial on how to drive the boat and we were off. We had a blast and our day on the boat ranked right up there as one of our best vacation days!!! Boat rental....a must!!!!

Spa- Viking Lodge
I did not experience the spa nor see the Viking Lodge Building across the street, but both were well attended during our stay.

Area Restaurants and Attractions- Loved Whitefish Mountain; Alpine Slide and Gondola Ride to the top of Big Mtn. Whitefish Golf Course; 2-18 hole public courses well manicured. Farmers Market on Tuesday evenings in the center of Whitefish; get your fill of local music, huckleberry pie and jam, crafts, and a crepe from the Crepe Truck. Northern Brewing Co for local beers- gotta try "Going to the Sun IPA. Tupelo Grille-Shrimp and Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes, Bread Pudding with Brandied Whipped Cream Outstanding. Whitefish Golf Course Restaurant- Ribs and Truffled Mac and Cheese Outstanding. Safeway Grocery Store-money saver for water, snacks, beer/wine and a great sandwich bar for a day of sightseeing. Huckleberry Patch to get all things Huckleberry ...and they have the best darn fudge I've ever tasted!! UPS store-Columbia Falls and Whitefish locations to ship souvenirs home that wont fit in your suitcase!!!

If I could make only one suggestion that bothered me, it is this. The boutique in the main lobby seemed ill placed and not a store everyone would find useful. We wanted a few souvenirs of the hotel/area and really had to hunt for a mug, tshirt, hat. The boutique had none of that. The spa is an odd place to stock souveneirs and made us feel like we were intruding into the spa area(although the spa ladies were simply delightful) in the small space the items were located. Buying a stuffed bear from behind the front desk seemed a bit out of place as well. I would have liked to have seen a shop with a different variety of items. Though saying that, perhaps it is a very profitable shop and fills a need. I can usually find something ANYWHERE to purchase. I was hard pressed in that shop, if truth be told. A deal breaker....not a chance. Its the only thing I can find fault with and it is purely a preference issue. A marvelous time, so much so, that this is such a detailed review to give credit where credit is due and suggestions to make the place even better.

All in all, we could not have been happier with our choice for our first hotel on our two week adventure to NW Montana. We did not want to leave Whitefish and travel on to Waterton and East Glacier to our other two hotels if that is any indication. Whitefish was by FAR our most favorite place to stay while away. Clean, inviting and money well spent. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

6 Thank biojojo
Thank you for sharing your experience of, not only the Lodge, but Whitefish and Glacier National Park as well. From the sounds of it, you had the complete NW Montana experience that we hope all of our guests will have! We have shared your review with all of our departments and want to give special thanks from our concierge and valet staff. We can't wait to have you as our guests again - perhaps for a more R&R centered trip including more pool and spa time!

Happy Travels from the Lodge Staff!
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Lodge at Whitefish is beautiful, has amazing staff, and the views are breathtaking. Our room had a comfy king bed, wonderful fireplace, view of the lake, and a bathroom that was bigger than some of the rooms we stayed in at the Glacier Park Lodges! It is a bit far from town, but they happily take you into town, and pick you up when you call! We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Lake view is best!
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed everything from the custom Spring Air beds to our complimentary valet and shuttle service! We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future on your next trip to Whitefish and Glacier National Park!
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

After driving for many hours, it was a pleasure to get to this lodge. The staff is friendly and the rooms are huge and extremely comfortable. Our room had a beautiful fireplace, comfortable king size bed and big bathroom with a huge walk in shower and separate tub.

This lodge is near Glacier National Park...just a short drive.

Cleanliness
Woodbridge, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Huge very comfortable rooms, with kitchen and fireplace. A Lovely romantic resort overlooking the lake. Try to spend a few days here. Excellent restaurant. Very close to the charming town. A great place to relax.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
John E., we are delighted to hear that you had a relaxing time at the resort and enjoyed your time in Whitefish! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We just spent three nights at the Lodge. We had a spacious room with a nice view (though the air conditioners below our deck were really loud). The service was excellent, and the kids loved the pool and hot tub. We rented jet skis and had a lot of fun.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Bozeman, MT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a few issues that came our last trip and we tried to bring it to their attention while we were there and also I sent 2 e-mails to them and never heard anything back. To me it seems like once they get your money the customer service goes away. Below is the e-mail that I sent to them.

We just finished up our trip to The Lodge (7/4-7/8) and there were a handful of things that we thought should be brought to your attention. We come to your hotel usually once to twice a year and stay for a while each time. We felt that this trip was just all together kind of a disaster and we were very disappointed in our stay. I understand that many of these things may not seem like a huge deal, but when we are paying $450 a night for a room, I'd expect a lot more than what we got.

It started out when we went to check it. While I understand that a early check in is a privilege and not a right, but we called a week before, the day before, and a morning of to confirm that we could get in our room at 2, so we could put out 18 month old child down for a nap. Every time we called we were told it would be ready and we were assured it would not be a problem. We arrived at 2, and were told it wasn't ready yet, but they would get someone in there and it would take 35 minutes. It took a another hour and a half for the room to finally be ready. This was totally unacceptable because if we had known it would it been that late, we wouldn't have left until our daughter got her nap, now she was frustrated and tired and we started off the trip on a terrible note. Second, if we had just been told at 2 that it was going to be and hour and half, we could have made other plans, but we were told 35 minutes. The total lack of communication was very disappointing, and as I said before, this would be totally expected from a Holiday Inn, but not at The Lodge where it is a Four Diamond Resort and paying $450 a night. If I'm going to pay those types of rates, I feel like things should be much smoother than they went this trip.

Finally we get to our room, another family is in there, and another family's luggage. So at this point we have been triple booked and have to go back down to the front desk and get this all sorted out. The front desk gets everyone figured out and sends us back to the room, but as we were leaving someone from the other family mentions they used the toilet. So now that has to get cleaned. While we are in there we notice that the shower has all the used bar soap, shampoo and conditioner still in there. Shampoo and conditioner is fine, but the used bar soap is really gross and makes we wonder if something that easy was missed, what else was skipped?

Later that evening our room wouldn't cool down (I guessing it was approximately 80 degrees in the room), we called the front desk and they sent up maintenance. He did what he could, but hours later it still wasn't any cooler. We called again and were told there wasn't much they could do aside from bring us a fan and open the windows. That doesn't really work when it is still hot outside, there are fireworks going off all night, and I have allergies. For the amount we paid for this room, I feel that air conditioning isn't that much to ask. We changed rooms the next day after a very uncomfortable night.

Finally, out experience at the Tiki Bar was pretty sad. We ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger. the waitress dropped it off and walked away. She finally came back to check on us after 20 minutes, we told her the bacon cheeseburger had no bacon on it and if we could have a pickle for our daughter. She apologized and said she would have it corrected right away. Twenty minutes later, she still wasn't back so my wife went and found her. She told us she spoke with the kitchen and they had run out of bacon. Ok that fine, but why didn't she ever return to tell us that or bring the the pickle we ordered. She said she would put a discount on the bacon cheeseburger since it didn't have bacon on it. She brought the bill, not only wasn't there no discount, but she charged us for cheese... I assuming that would be included with a bacon cheese burger. My wife had to track her down again because she hadn't returned, and waited 10 minutes while she corrected everything. It still wasn't right, but that that point we didn't care and just wanted to leave as it was taking forever.

As you can probably tell, this isn't about the bacon, but just the general lack of service and followup we received during our stay. We were very excited about our trip, but left feeling exhausted because of everything. I realize that air conditioners break, check in gets messed up, or the kitchen runs out of bacon, that is life and I totally understand that. But the total lack of empathy, communication, and follow up that we received was very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank ridgeway42
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and want you to know this is not the level of service we strive to provide for our guests. I know the Lodge owner has reached out to speak with you about the individual challenges during your stay. The Lodge staff wishes to apologize for your experience and we do hope that you were able to enjoy your time in Whitefish despite these issues. We would love the chance to provide you the level of service that you deserve and expect and hope you will give the Lodge another chance in the future.

Montana Regards,
Monteen Skoczek & the Lodge Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
Kandahar Lodge
#1 of 6 in West Glacier
Grouse Mountain Lodge
Grouse Mountain Lodge
#6 of 16 in Whitefish

Been to Lodge at Whitefish Lake? Share your experiences!