“Friendly Service and Excellent Fod”

Mc Garry's Roadhouse
Ranked #23 of 92 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
“Friendly Service and Excellent Fod”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We enjoyed our first dinner so we ate here a second time. The owner greeted us both times and made us welcome as though we were regular patrons of her restaurant. Our server Mitch was knowledgeable of the food and wine menus and paired our wines well with our entrees. One appetizer that we would recommend is the "spiders" which is a blend of chopped shrimp inside a light tempura batter. One order is plenty for two. Ever entree we ate each time was well prepared and delicious. The close proximity to Whitefish Lodge with its shuttle makes for an excellent option for dinner if you don't want to travel into town. The desserts are large and delicious.

1 Thank GWandCD

Seattle, Washington
“Great atmosphere and great service.”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had a lovely dinner at McGarry's. I found the service and the food to be very good. I would not, however, recommend the crab cakes or should I say crab cake. It tasted more like paste than crab, was burnt on the outside and pasty on the inside. And there was only one. I did not say anything to server so they did not have chance to fix. But I do feel the server should have noticed how burnt the product was.

Saratoga Springs, New York
“A Good Choice”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were staying at a B&B across the road from McGarry's, and the owners recommended the restaurant. It was a good choice. It was pricier than we'd anticipated, but the service was excellent without being fussy or pretentious. My husband and I had appetizers, salads, and entrees, and all were very good with one exception. I ordered one of the beef specials (a shoulder cut), and I was disappointed. It was tough and without much flavor. They offered to replace it, so they were certainly prepared to make things right. My husband's entree was excellent (crab cakes). All in all, this was a good experience and a very convenient choice.

• Visited September 2013
Fairfield, Montana
“Yummy food and view”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The owner was at the door to greet us and seated us quickly. The windows overlook Big Mountain, a popular ski resort. Not being a skier and after driving all the way up the mountain, I will stay in town from now on. Anyway, the service was superb and the food was mouth-watering, both in taste and presentation. The other owner is the master chef and took time to come out and visit us. The kitchen is open and beautiful. This place is now our reason to visit Whitefish.

1 Thank montanavicki
Dry Ridge
“Nice portions but over priced; owners need to relax”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I called before going to find out what kind of food McGarry's serves but failed to asked about the dress code, (my fault) AND PRICE. We had been sight-seeing all day; arriving to nearby hotel later than expected and were really hungry. The person on the other end of the line was very nice and suggested getting reservation since it was Fri. night, so we did. After arriving, hostess was getting ready to seat us when the lady owner whizzed by us to point to hostess' grid saying "I believe they will be more comfortable here." Hostess sat us in the very back of the restaurant. After looking at other visitors, we weren't dressed much different. Nice casual shorts (not jean shorts)..only difference is we had on T-shirts and tennis shoes. I'm guessing they're used to more upscale customers; however, I believe they would do better to be more relaxed in the summertime to perhaps bring in more customers as they weren't as busy as I expected or change the name to McGarry's Fine Dining. I ordered St. Louis ribs which were just o.k., had never tried this type of seasoning (gritty)...also the rib meat didn't seem fresh...bones were kinda black. My husband ordered the bison meatloaf which was o.k., he hadn't tried before either. Bread was stale. The waiter seemed ok during the course of the meal, though more concerned with the other customers. We left feeling a bit offended and wondering why they acted that way since we were paying the same for our meal as others.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Rhonda C
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
There is no dress code at McGarry's, much less Montana! And yes, you're right, everyone is and was mostly wearing shorts, t-shirts and all manner of casual summer wear. Why you thought that "They'd be more comfortable here" meant anything other than exactly what I said is beyond me. Every single spot in our restaurant is a favorite of one or another of our guests. There isn't a bad seat in the house, only preferences. Why didn't you speak up? Perhaps another server was busier, perhaps I chose not to seat you next to an "active" family (!). Why the assumption of a negative? Why all this insecurity? For heaven's sake, I was the same person who answered the phone!!! And yes, our portions are generous. But no, the bread wasn't stale, the ribs are not gritty, and the meatloaf recipe is not changing. Let's all just move on.