“Don't be in a hurry”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
Purgitsville, West Virginia
“Don't be in a hurry”
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Arrived at the front desk, where I stood for ten minutes waiting on someone. Finally picked up a business card and call the hotel. Someone finally came to answer the phone. breakfast area is very very small. No more than 3 peple at a time. Loved sitting outside by the water and watching the chipmonks. Great location. Service was not good unfriendly

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I made reservations for this location about 3 months prior to our arriving. At the time of making the reservation I was NOT asked for a credit card number. I called a couple of weeks prior to arrival to confirm the reservation and was told that all was fine - I also advised the clerk that it would be late afternoon/early evening when we would arrive. I was advised that this would not be a problem.

We arrived on August 7/09 at 4:15pm and when I went to check in was told that my reservation had been given away at 4:00pm. When I asked why the clerk told me that there was no credit card to guarantee the reservation, I explained that I had not been asked for one when I made the reservation. Her response "there is nothing I can do about it". When I asked to speak to the manager she told me that she wasn't there and again told me very rudely there was nothing she could do. My family and I then had to drive around to find another hotel. I went back the next morning to speak to the manager who could have cared less, she essentially called me a liar when I told her that I had not only been not asked for a credit card at the time of the reservation, but had also not been advised of the 4pm room giveaway policy. I asked why I would show up 15 minutes after they told me I would lose the room if I was aware of the policy. Again she shrugged and said there was nothing she could or was willing to do. At NO point was there ever even the hint of an apology.

My recommendation stay as far away from this place as possible.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lalonde1970

Travellers are raving about these Whitefish hotels

Home
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The room smelled like somthing rotting. We could not use the air because that also smelled. The breakfast room was about the size of a small bathroom three people in the room is too many. The staff was kind of friendly but a rough looking group. The breakfast was ok but they cut the muffins in quarters and it just looked like a pile of mush.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Leicester,England
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Must disagree with the guy from germany,maybe there wasnt a deckchair to put his towel on...Will say,being im friendly with most and had been welcomed everywhere previous (this being our last hotel before moving back up to canada to fly home) on first entry the lady seemed a bit offish but from there on we found the hotel and room very clean...we were only passing through so to speak but the folks of whitefish were very friendly and the lady whom seemed offish spent a lot of time talking and was very very helpful including her personal life as we talked about life in america and england..the breakfast was ok,but when i walk into an hotel i dont start looking for faults,i like to be positive and only have words if im not happy about something,all hotels are not the sameid been in hotels with better breakfast,some less but the location is pleasant,hotel clean and service polite,i enjoyed my stay so thanks to the staff,i have no reason to mark low coz i had been in better coz this ticked all the boxes,thanks to the staff

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Myself and 3 other friends stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. If you are traveling on a budget this is a great deal. The room was clean and it was cleaned each day. It also has a hot tub that we didn't use but it looked clean. It is also right near a stream where you can sit in the evening and have a couple of cocktails. Would stay here again.

• Liked — Cost
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
mizjones06
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Hotel is older, but its very clean. For the price we paid, it was very satisfactory. It was the only hotel that didnt want to charge me an arm and a leg. We just wanted a CLEAN, quite, comfortable place to rest during our travel. We travel alot and we've seen some pretty bad places, I would have to say I dont agree with the previous comment, my husband and I found the staff to be very friendly and more than helpful to our needs. Will most definately stay with them again when we return to this beautiful state.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germany
Reviewed 22 February 2007

A total dump

When the car navigation told me: “You have arrived,” I couldn’t believe that this was the motel I had made a reservation for on the internet. The overall appearance on the picture was much nicer than in reality. Furthermore, the motel is right at the highway, which is not seen on the photo. The motel was shabby and run down; nothing was in any way nice, sophisticated, or tasteful. Everything was from the cheapest of the cheap. I have been to student dormitories that were much more inviting than this motel.

The door knob at the bathroom almost fell apart and the ventilation was not working, so I had to stand the smell and the greenhouse atmosphere. The walls were paper-thin and there was incredible noise from the highway, the floor, and from other rooms. I heard doors slamming, TVs running and even phones ringing in other rooms.

Motel staff didn’t greet guests. The person in the motel office was watching TV all the time and her face expression and body language was telling: “Don’t bother me.”

The continental breakfast was the absolute minimum: no real butter, no honey, no juice. There was no sitting area, so I had to take it to my room.

As I didn’t want to spoil my vacation, I transferred to another hotel on the next morning. The reason why I prefer chains is because I think there is some quality control. Because Super 8 is unable to ensure minimum standards, I shall not consider this chain anymore.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo