“overpriced.”
Review of Kandahar Lodge

Kandahar Lodge
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Whitefish
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just an over priced.not good breakfast.poor wifi.no air port or train station pick up.I checked in 8/7/14 and checked out8/9/14.they charged me $762.57
They said I stayed 3 nights.I was busy in the morning to check out and I called them later.they said sorry

Room Tip: Stay away from these people
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank abhilash s

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Traveling solo to join an educational tour, I wasn't sure what to expect from this lodge based on past reviews. I loved it! The rooms were clean and well-appointed. The staff were attentive and kind, responsive to my special requests. The setting on Big Mountain couldn't be better for evening summer walks, and the cozy lobby was perfect for reading a good book on a comfy couch. Breakfast was more than adequate. I would definitely stay here again, and again, and again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The lodge was a great base for us to discover the area outside of Glacier National Park. We spent 3 nights at the lodge. As my title stated, no elevators to be found, so pack light. We stayed in a second floor room with a kitchen. It was clean and well appointed. My main complaint was there was no view from that room, and I'm not sure if any of the rooms have views. I also like to sleep with the windows open , but I got tired of the constant drone of the a/c units that you could hear from the other rooms. I finally broke down and shut my window and turned on the air like everyone else.
I must say that the staff we interacted with were great. We didn't eat dinner there, but the bar was cozy and the keep was very entertaining.
If I were to go back, I would check out the room situation better to see what my options were .

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank brokecheerdad
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Not the best experience. Dark Dark rooms... no views. I wouldnt recommend it unless you are desperate. I was, for 4th of july I couldnt find anything under 250 dollars except this place. This place is 15 minutes walk from the ski lift but not much else around there. For summers, I wouldnt recommend this place.

For winters I can imagine it being pretty cozy, however there isnt much to the property besides the lobby and I cannot imaging people wanting to hang out outside for too long in that cold weather.

I wouldnt recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: not very good wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pranjals
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for only 1 night during our trip through Glacier and it was a little far off the beaten path. It took almost 20 minutes to get back to the main road which just made the morning earlier. The room itself was nice. We had a good view of a garden area, but the room was super dark and the beds were so far off the floor we had to jump to get in them. Strange that there was no handicap access. No elevator so had to climb 2 flights of narrow stairs to get to the room. The breakfast was lame and the service was just okay. It was really expensive so we won't be staying there again, but if we were there skiing, probably would because it's convenient to the lifts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at the Kandahar Lodge for one night with a bunch of friends prior to a wedding. Lovely lodge! It was early July and the greenery was lovely. Most of the group didn't want to pay the prices for dinner at their restaurant, which disappointed us as the menu looked amazing and it's well reviewed. Instead we ordered take-out for a crowd from a nearby fried chicken/BBQ place; the staff at Kandahar were so accommodating as to provide us with plates, silverware, etc. Nearby you can ride the ski lift up to the top of Big Mountain to enjoy the AMAZING view, which was a fun excursion. Staff at Kandahar informed us that in the winter you can ski down to the Lodge from the mountainside, and the shuttle stops nearby to bring you up to the chairlift with gear during winter season. Be able-bodied as you need to ascend the stairs with your own luggage. Nicely furnished rooms. Nice continental breakfast including hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast, cereal, muffins, yogurt, instant oatmeal, juice/tea/milk/coffee.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs - Ask about it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth T
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is the only bad experience of our two week road trip through the States and Canada. Huge dissappointment in this hotel. This was the hotel i was looking forward to the most and the most expensive on our journey. We arrived later in the evening due to our 13 hour drive and checked in at 8:45pm. While checking in my partner went to the restaurant to enquire about food as we were told the restaurant served food until 9pm. My partner asked if they were still serving food and was told they were not accepting reservations. My partner could not get a straight answer as to whether we could get food or not but was told the bar served pizza and burgers. We were travelling with 2 small children this staff member told us this was not a problem to order from the bar.

We decided to take our luggage to our room first. Wihin the short time to bring our luggage to our room on the third floor (which by the way there are no elevators), we received two complaints from the patron directly below us about the noise of the kids jumping around. The room was a loft room and the noise was from the kids climbing the stairs to their loft. The front desk clerk came up to our room on the second complaint and apologized about the complaint stating the walls are paper thin and this is the negative side of his job. The room was lovely it's just too bad we couldn't enjoy it.

We then went to the bar to order burgers for the kids as the pizzas were gourmet pizzas and were informed that the grill was actually broken and the staff from the dining room should have known that. So our one child ate bread that evening and we ordered a couple of the pizzas which were very tasty. We also had their huckleberry margahritas which were awesome!!! Then went to the hot tub for the bartender delivered our food to us which was great.

Upon returning to our room within minutes the patron below us actually called directly up to our room to complain about the noise.

The next morning the dining room was closed as it was July 4th and the only breakfast available were prewrapped muffins and bagels. I didn't even see a toaster so we headed into Whitefish to eat breakfast at a restaurant.

Overall extremely dissatisfied with the hotel. It is not worth half of what we paid for it.

Room Tip: If you have kids stay on the main floor to avoid potential noise complaints due to paper thin walls.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family