“Sarpy County Secret -- Summer Kitchen Cafe”

Summer Kitchen Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Bellevue
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Summer Kitchen Cafe (SKC) is my favorite restaurant where I've eaten all three: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In fact it's almost the only place I've ever gone for a mid-afternoon soup and salad. It was founded more than 20 years ago and offers all items -- from more than a dozen complete breakfasts to several dozen dinners, plus baked goods including muffins, cookies, rolls, and bread pudding. Sounds like a couple of national chains, doesn't it? But it is totally local and started in LaVista, NE. I have eaten dozens of times in the Bellevue, NE, cafe (most recently Jan. 2013), and maybe 20 times in the LaVista locations (it moved from the original LaVista location to one further west less than 10 years ago). I have never had a bad meal at SKC. My favorites are spinach salad, bread pudding, and 2 or 3 of their many potatoe skillet meals. Of their dinners, I like the roast beef the best. The service is always great, too. One little quirk: it closes Sunday afternoon (about 2pm, I think) to give their employees Sunday afternoon off.

There are newer reviews for Summer Kitchen Cafe & Bakery

Reviewed 4 February 2013

My husband and I met our daughter and her husband here for breakfast on a Sunday morning at 10:30. Most of the time, at least on weekends, you have a hard time finding a good, reasonable priced restaurant to have brunch. This was a nice surprise-the wait was under 5 minutes and the service was excellent, with our waitress being very pleasant. Our food was good...we all ordered something different. And it was hot. If you go before 11 am, they have quite a few specials to choose from and they're very reasonable and good. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed 17 November 2012

What's not to like? Tasty, home made dishes and wonderful desserts! Not to mention great service. Wish they would come to Illinois!

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Summer Kitchen is a place for family and friends to meet, and many do! The menu is pretty extensive, with American favorites like meatloaf, omelettes all day, and choices for kids. You really need to try a potato casserole, though--a definite favorite!! Fried potatoes smothered in cheese and your favorite toppings, and there's even a veggie version. Most meals come with your choice of roll or one of the fresh-baked muffins. The desserts are divine, if you can manage to save room for them--if not, get some pie or cookies or muffins to go! I love the family feel of the Summer Kitchen, and hope you do too!

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stopped for breakfast on our way home, the food was really good and the staff was very nice.