“So nice, we went twice!”

Helen's Pancake & Steak House
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Chadron
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Kearney, Nebraska
“So nice, we went twice!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We were in town for the Fourth of July weekend and found Helen's on the way to our motel. Our first visit was so enjoyable, we went back again another day! Great food at an affordable price and friendly faces! My favorite was the chicken fried steak!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank John C

Boston
“Great Breakfast! Best bacon ever! ”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

This morning, my family and I went to eat at Helen's for breakfast. One look at the menu, and I knew I could afford it for the quantity! We were seated by a friendly waitress, and we received our drinks about 5 minutes after we were seated. The atmosphere in this place is super cute! They have antiques up on the wall, but the place feels clean at the same time. I ended up ordering the item called Number 6. It has 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, and 2 pancakes for about 5 bucks. Pretty good. When my food came, the first thing I tried was the eggs. They were lukewarm, (not a good temperature for eggs) but they were cooked excellently! The bacon...oh the bacon. Possibly the best I have ever eaten in my life. It was crispy on the outside but soft once you start chewing. I loved it! The pancakes were also delicious. They were light and fluffy, and perfect! Overall, this was a really good breakfast! I recommend this place for breakfast!

2 Thank haz4lyfe
Marco Island, Florida
“Great breakfast. Great value.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us by a local. We loved it and will dine here again when we pass through. The steak and eggs selection was prepared excellently. The service was fast and the price was very low. This is a wonderful restaurant in the Plains that opens at five a.m. Try it

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank 98980
Chadron, Nebraska
“Go here if you want hair in your food”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I ate here only a couple times, and we would never go again. We both ordered our food, a short time later it came out to us. It was not what I ordered (the pasta sauce was wrong) but I just went with it as it wasn't a big deal. Both of our meals were luke-warm. And upon eating my food I noticed a long hair swimming in my pasta. It was not my hair as it was imbedded in the sauce and a different color. When the waitress finally came back to check on us, she apologized and took my food away. She then talked to her manage who wanted to give us a drink credit and their bar, the Grove. We decided against that as we didn't want to come back. No discount was given or an offer to re-make the food, even though I didn't get to really eat it. Also, a friend of mine worked here in our college days and she would tell stories of the grease flying around in the kitchen and coating the floors. I don't find this place appetizing and it is old and outdated. Please save your money.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank chwald
Goodland, Kansas
“Expensive for the quality”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My family was in Chadron for our daughter's college visit. My husband saw an advertisement for Helen's Friday night prime rib, so we decided to eat here. The salad bar was tiny, with only lettuce and a few veggies available for an actual salad. The prime rib was was tough, not of the rareness we ordered, and was lukewarm. Our server was friendly, but never came back to ask if we wanted addtional drinks, coffee or dessert. At $50. for three people (with only one soft drink apiece) I thought the quality was lacking for the price.

Visited January 2014