“A great place to go!”

Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I grew up in Grand Island, and even attended the one room school house once for a class trip on this sweet museum. I don't think I've ever been to a better living history museum than this. Not only has it been used a movie sets, it's so real, it really does make history come alive. I have moved away from Nebraska now, but I still take my family there whenever we can, and they love it too! We watched the movie Sarah Plain and Tall and I was able to point out the locations used. And talking to a nearby horsemen, wrangler, I was able to hear stories about horses he had provided for various movies filmed there.
If you want to see history, instead of just read about it, come and visit history and the Stuhr Museum.

1  Thank timstromer
There are newer reviews for Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Set in its own grounds this museum has much to offer for any history buff.
I checked in at the visitor center where the docent arranged for a volunteer to open up the Auto Exhibit Barn and give me a conducted tour, which was a pure joy for anyone interested in Auto History. I then took the option of a driving tour of the rest of the property, including the Railroad Town and many other museum buildings housing a great variety of memorabilia.
My only regret was not being able to spend more time at this wonderful facility/

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have been to the Stuhr Museum many times over the years. Most recently I took my three daughters (ages 7, 8, and 16) to Rail Road Town. We toured a number of the houses and businesses. There were guides dressed in period costumes in most buildings who could tell us the history of each building and answer questions. We all found them quite interesting. The girls' favorite shop was where they made hats. Each of us was allowed to try on our favorite hat and take pictures. They also enjoyed getting an old-fashioned root beer at the little restaurant on Main Street. The girls were disappointed that we ran out of time and didn't get to visit the main building, so it looks like we will be returning soon.

1  Thank m0ml0vest0travel
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Great living history museum. Be sure to talk to the volunteers as if they really lived there. If possible try to attend during one of their special events. Be sure to stop in the mercantile. All items for sale have been produced on the property.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We loved the living history exhibits and the way that the buildings have been so well preserved. Very nice people working there!