“Nice Place Great Location for Fonner Park”

Hotel Grand Conference Center fka Midtown
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Grand Island
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel is great if you are traveling with kids. The pool area is great, large and very unique. It also has ping pong tables, mini golf (simple, but fun for the very young) and a pool table in the pool area. The restaurant was nice. The hotel has undergone a nice renovation recently. The interior rooms facing towards the indoor pool area would be nice if you don't want that direct outside access. The rooms have been nicely decorated. The outside rooms have a secure covered walkway for their access. The room we stayed in was a little noisy and bright from the lights shining in from a street or parking lot light. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, and very conveniently located to Fonner Park.

Room Tip: Stay on the inside towards pool unless you want quick access to outdoors.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Rhonda S, General Manager at Hotel Grand Conference Center fka Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a complimentary review on the Midtown Holiday Inn in Grand Island. We take pride in our service we deliver and appreciate your review.
Rhonda Saalfeld, GM

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We just wanted a place for the night on our journey and found this Holiday Inn to be really better than expected. Looks new, everything is very clean, quiet. It has a great pool and jacuzzi area, decent fitness centre and nice restaurant. Certainly better than your average HI of this type.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of our property at the Midtown Holiday Inn in Grand Island, NE. WE appreciate it very much and hope you return if in the area again. Thank you, RHonda Saalfeld, GM

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Love the staff and the rooms are so clean and well kept. I stayed for four days and I felt as through I was coming home every evening. Great location!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel has a great pool area that kids would love. It is a little pricey for the area, however. If you are looking for peace and quiet be sure to specify a room away from the pool. Also, it you are a Priority Club member, be sure and check your key envelope as they may include coupons to the restaurant/bar. They didn't mention that at check-in and I didn't find them until days after our stay while I was cleaning out my purse!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are convenient, but noisy if you want to take a nap or sleep in.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Rhonda S, General Manager at Hotel Grand Conference Center fka Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I'm sorry you were not told about the Priority Club Coupons when you checked in. I am glad to know that this happened so we may talk with our guest service representatives about this and stress the importance of making the guest aware of these value coupons that can be used in either our lounge or our restaurant. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. RHonda Saalfeld

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Spent 3 days here on business. Overall a nice place. Older hotel but updated and with a nice lounge, good breakfast and a nice pool/hottub. Free Wifi and a Comfortable stay

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This was a very strange experience. It was my first time using priceline and I found that I basically got a decent rate that was about 70% of retail. I expected to get a lower price through priceline than I did but it was worth a try. As for the hotel this appears to be a converted old fashioned roadside motel that Had exterior entrances for every room but now those exterior entrances are enclosed behind an unheated un-insulated hallway, which was basically freezing cold during late December when we stayed.While the bedding was upscale the rest of the amenities (shower, toilet, sink, vanity, flooring) were all trailer home style fixtures-like the cheapest you can imagine. The pool was larger than I expected but it was in this very large high ceiling indoor courtyard which wasn't adequately heated to make it comfortable once you got out of the water. My freeze proof 3 year old had chattering teeth in the pool after about 5 minutes (it was far to cool for my comfort) and the hot tub was almost scalding. The vending machines wouldn't take paper money and when I went to the bar for change I couldn't find anyone working after 3-5 minutes I went to the front desk and got change there. I would not stay again.

As a post script we stayed here on our way to Colorado Springs. I thought this was right on the highway it's really about 5-7 miles north of the highway on a road that seemed to be heavily policed and has a much lower speed limit. I would call Grand Island a speed trap for tourists considering there is very little signage of what the actual speed limit is. I will not stay in Grand Island again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nahdogg

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay of January 27. I am sorry that you found your experience less than you expected from a HOliday Inn. During our rennovation we have totally upgraded all 200 of our rooms bathrooms to include new tiled floors, granite vanities, and all new fixtures. I hope you will reconsider staying at our property again. I'm sorry for the cold atrium. THis must have been an oversight of our staff as we try to keep this area at 72 degrees and our pool at 82 degrees. I will pass this on to the staff so that it does not happen again.
Again, thank you for your comments that always encourage and motivate us to do better.
Rhonda Saalfeld, General Manager

Reviewed 14 December 2011

The Pros
The second you walk in the door it smells nice and it looks nice. This is a very well managed property and you can tell.
Check in a breeze. The free internet service performed excellent.
There is a pool and the pool area does not look like the 80s era. They have updated.
The food in the restaurant is very good. I had a great Reuben.
The printer in the business center was not working well so the attendant let me go back and use a computer and printer at the manager's desk. How cool is that.
Nice room, nice temperature. Nice new LG TV. The key always worked. They had those adapters so you could plug in all kinds of stuff... Nice! All of the housekeeping employees were friendly and greeted me.
The deskstaff and restaurant staff are adults. What I mean is.... when you ask for something, they answer you. They are articulate and well groomed. They are not afraid to make decisions. Can I check out 15 minutes late late due to a conference call... they said... sure ... no problem...

The Cons
The area has lots of hotels but I would not call it a particularly nice part of town. But it is definitely a hotel district. 10 minutes from I 80.
The gas station next door is kind of nasty. The property is huge.... You could walk quite a distance to your room.
The open convention space in the epicentre of the hotel creates an empty voided feeling. Lots of empty round tables.

Overall...A very nice place and I will not risk staying somewhere else in Grand Island because this is a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front of the hotel... or you could be a long distance away from everything.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business