“Very Poor” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Hastings
Brighton, CO, USA
“Very Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I've stayed here before when it was the X and L and it used to be a decent motel. I stopped staying there about 4 years ago because it had gotten so run down and wasn't very clean anymore. I was having a hard time finding a room and saw their website that said they had new management and that the motel had been renovated so I decided to give it a try. By the look of the discarded furniture in the parking lot and the old washers and dryers next to the office it looked like they were renovated but my room hadn't been touched; it had the same old furniture that had been there for 30 years, the AC unit was beat-up and dirty and all the markings were worn off. The "Queen-sized bed" was just a double and the place was marginally clean at best. The rooms on either side of us appeared to be rented to long-term folks; there were grills and chairs out front and a bike with a flat tire. One of these neighbors started their stereo about 11:00PM and kept going outside to talk and smoke until nearly 2:00. I felt the website, with it's claim of "renovated" was totally misleading. The place looked like a dump from the outside (broken furniture, overgrown weeds, paint peeling) and the inside of the room I had was terrible. When I was checking in I told the clerk that I'd stayed there in the past and it had gotten bad so I was glad to see they had renovated it. If there were renovated rooms and unrenovated rooms the clerk should've said something before sending me to an unrenovated room. I had reservations for 2 nights but checked out after one. I would never stay there again. I also have to think that these glowing reviews are phony.

Room Tip: Find a different motel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ran75
Mike67042, Manager at Hastings Express Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thanks for taking time and writing this review.We are sorry for the noisy guest next to your room and we would have taken prompt action had you informed us.We continue to do remodeling and we are sorry for the remodeling mess. We would have loved the opportunity if you would have shared your experience at front desk so we could help. We look forward to your business and have great day!!!
Jackie

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was directed to this motel from Midland's Lodge which is a few blocks away. They were overbooked at the time. I took a gamble, but it turned out to be really good. The place has new management and the staff was friendly. My room was clean and had a nice queen bed. Got a good night's sleep which is what i wanted bad.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for your stay .
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

My boyfriend and I went on a trip to Hastings NE from Kansas to run a trail race at Praire lake and after looking around at different hotels we came across this one. This Hotel was PERFECT!!! It was conveniently located and had a great price! We were only 3 miles from where we needed to be. There was a bar and grill in walking distance as well as a convenience store. There was also a park down the street and lots of restaurants.The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Even though they are in the process of new design and managment the room looked great and was very clean and refreshing!! We will be coming back for sure next year to stay! Almost every room was taken but it was still quiet at night. UnfortunateIy the pool was not ready due to remodeling but I cant wait to see the new pool! All in all we had a GREAT experience and would gladly recommend this hotel to other couples.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your stay and have a great day
jacksonville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We usually visit Hastings once a year. This time we stayed at Express Inn. We stayed in room 112 which has three beds and looks remodeled. Large room and clean bathroom. I will say right up front they do have a few rules and signs. Some folks think they are a little strict, I think it keeps out the trouble makers. That’s ok by me when traveling with the family. Average motel and a helpful staff!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sandy t
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was a really nice place and I really enjoyed my stay. I really liked that it was quiet and this hotel looked newly remodeled. I found it convenient that the hotel was close to the fairgrounds, in fact I was able to walk there.

Room Tip: Rooms have flat screen tv and the rooms were clean and quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Parth B
Onawa, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

we were DISAPPOINTED .. NO shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion complimentary..., shower nozzle half working~tub filled with water didn't drain, towels were rough, air holes in bathroom window let flies in........ walked across carpet in my white socks, carpet was dirty, well my socks proved it, ................No grab bar in shower for we disabled -older generation... No HBO offered,, NO ICE vending machine.... we stayed here under previous owner for 20 years & LOVED it.. No pool to swim in, {oh it was THERE--EMPTY,,} VERY POOR bed pillows. Wasnt READY to open for 100% business..
nice people,,under new management,, needs some training on how to set up complimentary pen & tablet, good brand coffee, decent pillows hard & oft on a bed..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Mike67042, Front Office Manager at Hastings Express Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for taking time to provide your feedback. As you understand it is under new management and new staff and incorporate your feedback to make things better. I am sorry but we do not list pool as part of amenities and will be developed to expand the parking lot. Vending machine and ice machine is available at site. Have a wonderful day !!

Jackie, Manager
Laurel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I know that this property is under new management, so I hope they have plans for improvement. I'm ok with old/dated rooms, however, filth is not acceptable. Our shower didn't drain, the curtain over the window probably hasn't been washed/cleaned in a few decades. The reviews that I read before booking this place, were false.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Scott C
Mike67042, Manager at Hastings Express Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
We have provided your feedback to the housekeeper and addressed the issue. Thanks for your business. Have a wonderful day !!

Jackie, Manager