“Who knew from black salt?”
Review of Bye Bye Blues

Bye Bye Blues
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Mondello
Price range: US$41 - US$70
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Who knew from black salt?”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our taxi got us to the restaurant a little early for our reservation. The very charming staff promptly produced glasses of prosecco and some nibbles to tide us over until our table was ready ten minutes later. The first amuse bouche consisted of various small tidbits of fish, including octopus; the second was a sort of "poofy" bread with an indentation in the center filled with a thick tomato sauce. The first course was a mixed seafood crudo in olive oil with black sale sprinkled on it. My second course was rabbit with rosemary over a bed of greens with a creamy saffron sauce. The greens tasted like spinach but were not so soft as spinach -- more of a collard texture but definitely a spinach-y taste). The plate was finished with two small dollops of a minced tomato/parsley mixture and a couple streaks of balsamic reduction. Fabulous! There was an intermezzo of bread, custards and a white chocolate mousse. Our dessert was an apple tatin with caramel semi-freddo. THEN they brought a plate of cookies and chocolate truffles. The wine selection was excellent as was the service. I concluded that I might die from overeating that that I'd be smiling when I went.

Next day I went out to buy black salt to take home with me. YUM!

• Visited November 2013

Toronto
“Great experience”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We first went for lunch and enjoyed it so much that we returned for our last dinner in Sicily. Everything about the restaurant was good - the service, the produce and preparation and the wine list. Two of our group especially enjoyed the beer pairing. After having eaten (and enjoyed) several traditional meals in Sicily, it was a delight to enjoy the new and lighter approach to local vegetables, seafood and meats. The desserts were well executed. All in all I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank triplover39
Dublin, Ireland
“Difficult to judge”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was really looking forward to the highlight of my holiday, which I always try to plan to be dinner or lunch in a Michelin star restaurant.
It is difficult to judge this one as I cannot quite put my finger on what it was that didn't work for us.
We chose the 'degustation' menu, to enable us to savour the full spectrum of what this tastefully designed restaurant has to offer and while each course was impeccably cooked and presented, I'm not sure I would have ordered any of it by choice. It comprised seafood, fish and pastas cooked in different Sicilian styles, all of which I normally love, but this meal just did not give me the 'Wow Factor' I was expecting.
Our meal was accompanied by the sommelier's choice of wine to accompany each course and they were excellent.
Somewhat off-putting was the long table of '30-somethings' across from us, which included a child about 4 years of age who was free to run around and a baby in a pram which, although quiet, seemed quite hungry so took its shoe off at one point and then its bib and proceeded to eat both! Simply put, in my opinion, children should not have been allowed into this restaurant and their presence certainly had some influence on my opinion.
What would I suggest? Give this restaurant a go, choose carefully, seek the sommelier's opinion and ask for a table far away from any children.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Suzanne B
Hong Kong, China
“Good but nothing special”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had been wanting to go to Bye Bye Blues for long time as I heard about it and I wanted to try it. it was not that " bad", but really nothing special or memorable- good ingredients but nothing creative. The day before I had gone to A Cuncuma at that had been a real feast. I had expected Bye Bye Blues to be better but it was only more expensive and also a little pretentious. So, if I had to pick only one restaurant in Palermo not to be missed, you know which one I would choose - A Cuncuma.

Visited July 2013
“What a find!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This lovely little restaurant was recommended by friends, and what a treat it was. We both had fish (after all, this is Palermo!) and loved every bite. Perfectly cooked, deliciously flavored -- there wasn't one thing we didn't like. The dessert sampler was perfect -- one or two little bites of multiple taste treats. The ambiance is on the modern side -- complete with monitors that let you see what is going on in the kitchen. There was a large group dining that evening which made it a little noisy, but even that couldn't detract from a lovely evening. Ciao!

Visited June 2013