“Excellent, although rather close to road”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Buckland House

Buckland House
South Bucks
“Excellent, although rather close to road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Everything about Buckland House was excellent apart from the fact that it's really very close to a fairly busy road. This is not such a problem for the two back rooms, but is very noticeable in the front room (the Floral Room). And it does detract slightly from the rural country feel which we were expecting from reading the website.
The welcome was very friendly and welcoming, as was service throughout, and Frances was very happy to extend her tray of tea and cakes to include an extra person who we'd arranged to meet us there in the cosy common sitting room. The bedroom was very comfortable and well equipped with a small tin of cookies as well as the usual tea and coffee (real!) with fresh milk always on hand in a fridge in the entrance hall. Excellent shower as well.
Breakfast was very good with fresh local produce, eggs from their own hens, homemade bread, etc.

Room Tip: The Floral Room has the larger shower room but is on the road side of the house, so noisier.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tortoise_or_Hare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I was surprised that Buckland House is right on a busy road. We had a room at the back of the house so the road was not noisy but not the country setting I expected. Our room (the Penny room) was rather small but clean and well-appointed. Biscuits,tea and cake on arrival very nice and homemade biscuits in room. Breakfast was fine, nothing special other than the delicious homemade lemon curd. Rather spoiled by the rat running round the garden we could see through the French windows. Very friendly owners though and plenty of car parking. It was fine here, nice, in fact, just not as spectacular as the website and reviews here suggested.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Francesca B
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We've just returned from a long weekend at Buckland House and had a fabulous experience.
We received a very warm welcome with a lovely pot of tea and home made cakes awaiting us. Buckland House is very clean and roomy, and the beds are so comfy. I could have stayed in the shower all day, it was lush! Frances and Roger don't normally cater for children but they went to the trouble of adding an extra bed in my room for my daughter. Perfect. My children said that Frances' breakfast was "the best ever" and I'd have to agree!
Great location too. Not too far from Southwold but far enough away to get some peace and quiet. I would definitely recommend this B&B and will hopefully stay there again in the near future.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear of the house are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 790Rebecca
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at Buckland House last weekend when we were in Suffolk for a friend's wedding. Frances and Roger were extremely helpful from start to finish - as we weren't driving, they helped us to arrange taxis and even dropped us off at the local pub for supper. The house is only about 10 minutes in a taxi from Halesworth, so this is definitely something we would recommend to other travellers.

The house itself is beautiful and spotlessly clean. Our room looked out onto the back garden and was very comfortable, with a proper wardrobe to hang our clothes and a good sized en-suite. Last but not least, we must mention Frances' fantastic breakfasts and home-made cakes and biscuits which we made sure to fill up on over 48 hours! Would definitely recommend the house to others, and return ourselves.

Room Tip: We had the penny room, which was very comfy and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsFShields
east sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My dog, Lottie, and I stayed here for three nights in August and really enjoyed the friendly experience. Lottie was greeted with a jar of dog treats and clean feeding bowls and felt immediately at home, plus she had use of a private garden - what more could a dog want? And I had my own treats, little home baked biscuits on the room tea tray. Lovely house and Roger & Frances make guests feel very welcome. Plenty of local information displayed and advice on local eateries. I would love to make the comment "home from home" but it was far more comfortable than my home and Frances has a designer's eye for colour and detail. Just wish I had made time to enjoy the Jacuzzi bath in the spacious bathroom, complete with old fashioned weigh scales (which I didn't try either!). Great breakfast and starting the day with fishcakes was a holiday bonus.
I can recommend "The Castle" in Bungay for food or you might venture across the fields to Westhall and "The Racehorse" pub for a big plate of home cooked food under a tenner. But above all, I recommend Buckland House and hope I get the opportunity to revisit and maybe try out that spa bath.

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms here are good.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Annette G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here for one night after camping at Latitude festival for four nights and before travelling onto London. We chose this place based on other positive trip advisor reviews and the fact that it offered better value for money than places in Southwold, but was still in close proximity by car. We received a very warm welcome from Frances and Roger and were made to feel at home. Our room was in the older part of the house with a spiral staircase. The tea making facilities with fresh milk from the guest fridge downstairs and homemade biscuits in the room were lovely to arrive to. The shower was nice and powerful and much needed after 4 nights in a field! After a busy weekend we were happy to relax at the B&B in the evening and enjoyed sitting and reading in the beautiful garden. Breakfast was great! I enjoyed sitting around the same table as other guests and the food was top quality and all home made, from the bread to the lemon curd and the fabulous fish cakes. Thank you for a short but sweet stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keri_C_84
Holmfirth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a charming and comfortable B&B. I am a bit of a clean freak and this place was spotless.
The owners are helpful and friendly and the pot of tea and home made biscuits on arrival were very much appreciated. Breakfast was yummy including home-made bread and lemon curd.
I agree the fish cakes were delicious but everything else looked fantastic so it was hard to choose.
If you are cycling ... which I would highly recommend as a way of visiting beautiful Suffolk , bikes can be stored safely in the stable block.
Good pubs nearby in the car for evening meals.
All in all a real treat.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaisyHolmfirth

Been to Buckland House? Share your experiences!