“Rooms and pool are great! Dining staff could be friendlier”

Best Western Plus Mid Nebraska Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My mom and I recently stopped at this Best Western on a road trip that took us through Nebraska. It's just off the highway and very close to shopping centers in the small town. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful in checking us into our room even though we were a little early. The room itself was very clean and well-appointed.

A real highlight of the property is the pool and hot tub. The pool is a nice size and doesn't seem to be overly chlorinated, like a lot of hotel pools tend to be. Even with about 12 people on the pool deck later in the evening, it didn't feel crowded or uncomfortable. The pool deck areas were very clean as well.

The only negative I have about this property was the staff experience in the breakfast/afternoon drinks room. They have a manager's happy hour type deal each day that you receive tickets for when you check in. In addition to light snacks the hotel also provides wine, beer, and sodas. I don't usually drink any of those and when I asked for water, the woman staffing the room told me curtly that they had no water and that I could buy some from the vending machines. Fine, no water, but at least be polite about it. Also, the counters were still covered in crumbs and detritus from that morning's breakfast. It seemed so dirty in there! Very different from the front desk area, rooms, and pool. The woman working did not seem concerned.. she neither cleaned up or wiped down anything, instead reading a book near the door.

The next morning, the breakfast area was still crumby and didn't look like it had been wiped down before the breakfast had been set out. I'm not really a fan of dirty food places! This would be the only area for improvement that I noticed.

Lastly, there was a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the hallways in the evening. I think that some guests were smoking in their rooms despite the all-hotel smoke free environment. Though the smell was very strong in the hallways, it didn't bother us in our room.

1  Thank Shannon S
Kellyk123, General Manager at Best Western Plus Mid Nebraska Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your nice comments about our property and I also appreciate your comments about the breakfast/managers reception room. Comments like yours helps us improve. We as a staff have discussed your comments and will make much better effort on cleanliness and politeness. Thanks again for your comments. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Very nice place to stay. Free hot breakfast eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, waffles etz. Nice indoor pool and hot tub (jacuzzi). Right off interstate 80. The bed was nice (I'm use to a memory foam mattress). Overall stay excellent. Mon thru Thurs. have free beer, wine, nuts chips and snacks every night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Plus. Our Managers Reception Monday through Thursday. Free beverages and snacks are provided. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Was on a Road trip with my Brother and Nephew this place was very nice. Wish I could have stayed another night. Bed was comfortable WIFI was good connection and the staff was friendly although I was on a road trip moving my brother I will stay again if I can get back to the area

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lashon R

Thank you so much for the nice review. We have the best beds and get so many compliments about it. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We passed through Kearney (pronounced carney) a couple of years ago and were really happy here. The bed is awesome. Breakfast wonderful. Good, good coffee with great creamer. The room is very clean and up-to-date.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the Best Western Plus. I'm so glad you had a great stay and hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We've really liked visiting this Best Western over the last few years, but this visit has not been as satisfying as we have been used to. First, the good. The beds are good, the breakfast is free and plentiful and the staff nice. The bad - they have free wifi, but it doesn't work. Our visit this time was from Friday through Monday and only for 2 hours has the wifi been reliable enough to actually use. The speed ranges from 36mb to 1mb within seconds. Most of the time, it just times out. Calls to the front desk have gotten the "disconnect and reconnect" line multiple times. That does not solve the issue. Fortunately, we have other ways to connect but any place advertising free wifi should at least make an effort to have free wifi that works.

Second - the hot tub. Over the tub is a sign stating no children under 5 allowed in the spa at anytime by Nebraska law. Also a sign saying no children under 18 without parents. We went into the spa area on Saturday evening and found multiple children in the hot tub along with a grandmother and a toddler with water wings on using it like a wading pool. They got out for a while, then went screaming into the pool. We had 5 minutes of peace, then grandma and the baby jumped back in and played wave maker. We left the spa, grandma and the baby left the spa and then 6 children jumped into the spa with no adult supervision. So there are no rules for this pool/spa area. Further, there is a large rack for towels in the pool area as you aren't supposed to use your room towels. The racks were empty, so we went back to our room wet. Also, a multitude of dead insects are around the hot tub. It is an entomologist's dream.

Normally, these details would not be a major issue. However, the problems we've experienced have never been here before. There are laws posted on walls and no enforcement. The pool area is too loud for adults and the spa is a baby wading pool. A hot one, but still, that's what it turned into. The free wifi has been strong before but now is useless. We will need to look for a different place to stay in Kearney on our next visit as the Best Western is on the decline.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark C

Thank you for your review. The only way we can improve is by hearing comments from our guests. We are taking your comments about the internet and hot tub very seriously. I appreciate your honesty and I understand if you are trying out other hotels. Thank you again.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

On our trip of over 4000 miles this was the greatest Best Western we stayed in. It was the best price, the greatest friendly staff and a great experience for road weary people. I would recommended this to anyone. The pool was great the hot tub was wonderful. I would stay there in a minute.

1  Thank Glen H

What a nice review. Thank you! Our pool and hot tub are very inviting and well maintained. Our staff understand customer service. We appreciate you recognizing our efforts!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Positives are: excellent bed, great towels, good food in restaurant and bar staff was wonderful. Not good that elevator service is not offered for all levels. Negative was the horrendous problem with the Internet (also TV reception was affected) and lack of professional response from hotel staff and Tech support to resolve the issue. Big problem when you work and travel too.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry about your internet experience with the hotel. We do have a 24/7 support line that we pay for so tech issues can be solved quickly and correctly as they stay are not trained in technology support and trouble shooting. We are looking into this matter and currently are having no issues. I appreciate your comments. That is the only way we can improve.