“Poor service, reduced staff, and antiquated wi-fi”

Courtyard by Marriott Omaha La Vista
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in La Vista
Ohio
“Poor service, reduced staff, and antiquated wi-fi”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This is a very large Courtyard by Marriott – 250 rooms or so – much larger than the usual. But they seem to be struggling financially to keep it occupied, so corners are being cut to save on costs, and it shows.
I arrived about 9:00 at night. There was one clerk on duty and six people in line to check in, so 15 minutes to get a room. Despite a guaranteed reservation, the type of room I had reserved was not available. The reason given? Housekeeping was still cleaning them. At 9:00 at night?? Why don’t they hire more help, or was this just an excuse because they gave away the requested rooms to previous guests.
Next morning, I tried to use the free wi-fi. Well, it doesn’t work if you have a tablet. I called the front desk when I could not get access, the first question was, are you using a tablet. When I said yes, the clerk said that their software has problems with tablets trying to access the wi-fi. I have used the tablet successfully and many wi-fi sites, including other Marriott’s, with no problems. Not here. It probably costs a little more for management to add that feature. Then, when the wi-fi didn’t work, I tried the TV to check weather conditions. The TV didn’t work either. Also, three bulbs were burned out in the room, including two over the bathroom sink which maintenance had to replace. Isn’t there a check list for staff to verify that things work when they finish preparing a room for the next guest? Even with the replaced lighting, the bathroom was so dim with low lumen lighting that it was hard to see to use the mirror.
Breakfast room in the morning had about 6 guests. Parking lot had a couple dozen cars for a 250-room hotel. Occupancy must be down so far that management has cut back on staff and scrimped on spending so far that this is not typical of many Marriott’s I have stayed in. Don’t expect service if you stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveldude011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is easily accessed to and from the interstate system. It is connected to the LaVista convention center and across the parking lot from Cabala's. The hotel well kept as expected from the Marriott chain. Check in and out is a breeze. The hotel as well as the accommodations are well maintained.

I made reservation at this hotel for a Husker game due to the easy access of the interstate and is close to Lincoln. I would stay at this hotel every time I visit Omaha.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nick G
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a great stay here! The hotel is fairly new, well maintained, and very clean. The amenities are wonderful. There's a state of the art fitness center, pool, and whirlpool. The staff was very friendly. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was a nice, clean and easy access hotel. Polite and helpful staff and acceptable rooms. I was here only one night so did take advantage of hotel amenities. If I wanted to explore downtown this would not be the place to choose, but if you want near the south west side of town or have an event at the conference center this would be a very good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Denver, CO
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights last week. Good location if you want to be on the south end, right off the interstate. Nicely decorated lobby and rooms. We stayed in a standard room with one king bed and I have to say these rooms are tight for two people. You have a wardrobe with one foot hanging space for long items, and another foot for shorter items. The counter space around the single sink is small for two people. Perfectly adequate for one person, just not two.

Tried to have dinner at the bistro and were told it would be 30-40 minutes before they could take care of us because they had a large party they were taking care of. They actually suggested we go to the Embassey Suites on the other side of the convention center for dinner instead! Rumor over there was they only staff the bistro with one server and one cook.

Room Tip: I'd upgrade to a larger room unless you are traveling alone.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed here one night for business. Good location, spacious and comfortable rooms. I did get sick the night I stayed here, woke up with sinus issues in a very dry room, but I won't blame that on the hotel. Other than that, had no issues with this hotel. Friendly and helpful service with updated, clean, comfortable, and quiet rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Redwood City, CA
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The good: I was very impressed with the building and the lobby -- it was large, modern and well-kept. There's a large bistro area off the lobby -- I had a perfectly fine sandwich there and a glass of wine. The counter person/waiter was friendly and efficient, which was nice since he was the only one working the area in the evening! Check in was efficient. I had to send a fax late in the evening and the front desk was helpful.
The not so good: I was asked if I preferred a room on a higher or lower floor when I checked in and I replied, "Either is fine, I'm not picky." Wrong answer apparently, as I got a room on the 3rd floor where the hallway smelled like an airplane bathroom. My room smelled of air freshener too, and not in a particularly good way. I wonder if there was a plumbing problem that they were working on somewhere on the floor? The room itself was clean, with the standard Courtyard décor (which I like). I thought about asking for a different room but since I was only staying one night and it was kind of late, I didn't. I did get used to the air freshener smell. However, the pillows REALLY needed to be washed. The linen was clean, but the pillows smelled like they'd been slept on a million times by people with less than clean hair. I ended up covering them with a couple of tshirts to block out the smell. The bed, other than that, was comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
My Place Hotel-South Omaha/ La Vista, NE
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Omaha Southwest
New Victorian Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Kelly Inn

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Omaha La Vista? Share your experiences!