“Construction was a pain but this is a great hotel”

The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
GreenLeadersBronze level
Louisa, Virginia
“Construction was a pain but this is a great hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in June for a conference and really enjoyed the stay. The room was great. Very comfortable beds. The hotel restaurant was fantastic and the staff was very helpful and courteous. Construction was a minor nuisance but we didn't mind. It did take a while to get my reward point though. I would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
MADISON
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I arrived at the hotel and waited by my vehicle for a valet to park my car. They were busy talking to each other and not paying attention. I finally had to ask for help and then one of them came over.
I walked in went to check in and surprised to find the hotel under a much needed renovation. We were hosting a conference day and were not told about the renovation. My company had completed the paper work for a direct bill for the sleeping room and conference, and the front desk didn't have it. To give them credit they did work out after my admin called and talked to sales. Where is the communication? I went up to the room, which was ok.
The next morning I showered and stood in water. Well I didn't want to take a bath.
I headed down to the conference room, this ummm I don't even know how describe the disgust. There was green running down the walls from the thermostats, what look like mold on the chair rail, and the poorly done repair to the ceiling. The food was good, but when I asked for soda they were surprised. The woman working the food was not able to get that for me, so they sent off for another woman. She came in and said "So you want to add pop?" to which I pulled out my contract and said, "No, I want you to fulfill the contract I have with you which states soda throughout the day." We had written a note to be sure to fill soda from breakfast and lunch and the hotel representative countersigned it. I asked to speak to the sales representative when she arrived.
Kristina arrived to talk to me, and she explained they were going through a renovation and that she would talk to staff about the comment. I didn't want to point out that had she done her job correctly and added the soda at breakfast on the work order the problem would not have occurred.
The meeting went well and food was excellent.
I went to check out and couldn't find a stand for the valet and finally asked 2 men standing by the door if they were the car valets, and the were. I then asked for my car and got a luggage rack to bring my stuff down. The luggage clearly needed to have tires pumped and was more work then just having made 2 trips. The front desk was courtesies and check out went smoothly.
It is now a month after the event the hotel has lost my direct bill paper and won't send me the bill. They are now stating I have to do a credit card authorization. Funny you had it the day I checked in.
At this point all I want is the bill and to warn others about the nightmare of customer service.

Room Tip: Choose the higher floors and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Charles H, General Manager at The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We truly appreciate the feedback. We are on the final stages of the renovation and have the meeting rooms have now been completed and what you mention regarding the meeting thermostats is from the old pneumatic air conditioning system the hotel had in place prior to Marcus buying the hotel which has been updated. Those stains you mentioned are now gone with the renovation. We are discussing with my team the other issues you mentioned but would like to get more detail. Could you please call me at 402-474-7474 ext 7005 so I can get more details relating to the event you attended and the room you stayed in? Thanks again and hope we will get a chance to speak.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at The Cornhusker for my brother's wedding weekend since the wedding reception was at the hotel itself. We have elite status membership with Marriott and got to stay on the executive level floor. This was fine, but only to find that our room was very dated with double beds!!! What hotel has double beds anymore!!!??? My husband and I are not big people, but really struggled with the double bed situation which ended in me sleeping with my toddler son.

The iron provided in the room actually spit dark brown residue all over my husband's tie when he went to use it! While they did try to dry clean it for the wedding the next day, this wasn't possible and said they would deduct $45 from the final bill this never happened!!!

The last straw was the faucet in the bathroom actually falling off of the wall everytime we took a shower! Again, nothing was done about this!

I can't stress enough- DO NOT STAY HERE. GET YOURSELF OVER TO THE HYATT PLACE- its amazing! Especially for that price!

Room Tip: just don't
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Charles H, General Manager at The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. I am truly sorry for what occurred during your stay. We just completed the guestroom renovations and have received great feedback regarding the changes. Based on the size of the rooms we opted to stay with double beds in the room. I apologize for the faucet and iron situation and yes we should have offered to clean your tie for you. I will speak with my staff relating to this situation. I will have engineering look into the issue with the faucet even if we have to check every room on the concierge level as a room number is not provided via social websites. I welcome you to give me a call (Chuck Harper) so I can get more information from you and personally apologize for what occurred. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed at last minute for a "family wedding" , knew of it's latest reputation of needing updating. Well they are doing just that. Only staff was often uninformed, yet very polite. Our room though remodeled was not all what was to be expected by us or Marriott. Plumbing coming out of the wall,soiled stain on ceiling,mold in bathroom and stains of some type on the sheers. Air so stale it did not matter what the air was set on, or the fan. New room at 3:00 AM was better. Most hotels reduce their rates when under construction, not here. We were given a reduced rate and a free breakfast with less than great service. Stay there again? Let's say I will ask to see my room first--in the Marriott really??

Room Tip: check it out first, second room was nice.
Green Features: poor ventilation and room inspection however they do offer recycle and pass on fresh linens.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Beccie B
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize for what you experienced during your stay with your guestroom. I want to make this right for you and also find out which room you stayed in. Since we moved your room due to the issues you mentioned we may have already corrected them, but I want to make sure. Can you please call me (Chuck Harper) at 402-474-7474 so I can personally apologize and to also get the room number and see how we can get you to stay again with us in the future? Thanks again
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Enjoyed our stay. My daugter and I were in Lincoln for school meetings. I came to get some rest, which I did. The room was clean, the hotel although going through some renovation was very nice. Parking was great and easy, the bed was very comfortable, had a nice view of the capitol building, the bathroom was nice also and the carpet was beautiful.

Green Features: They had notes as to how often they changed towels and bedding, but would accomodate any guest request.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The Cornhusker used to be the nicest place in Lincoln, but now it is getting dated. Just stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott which is much nicer and brand new. They need to update the Hotel, but it is still nice. We spend our Honeymoon night here 29 years ago. This time we spent the night for our son's graduation party from UNL. It is a closer walk to the bars on "O" st., but for the same money, I would go to the newer Hotels by the Haymarket especially if going to a football or basketball game.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Huskerfan8080
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Arrived in the middle of the night during a rainstorm and the service was excellent, even though it was raining, they helped us get stuff from the car and into the room. It was such a soft haven to land. Thank you so much!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family