“Concert and a bad maid ruined our stay!”

Hyatt Place Lincoln Haymarket
Ranked #4 of 61 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Place for 3 nights. Apparently there was a concert at the neighboring arena on the second night. After a full day of moving our son into his dorm room we arrived back at the hotel at around 7pm. Some of the roads around the hotel were blocked or closed and there was no where to park. After driving around for quite a while we finally found a road that would get us to the parking garage used by the hotel. I felt like the hotel staff could have warned us about this. We had no idea there was a concert that evening.
In addition, our room was on the 4th floor. Above the 4th floor there are apparently private residences. When the concert got out the partying on the balcony right above our window started and did not end until almost 3am! It was very noisy and impossible to sleep. I called the front desk twice to complain, but it seemed there was little they could do.
I also had to wonder how well the hotel was being cleaned. I had scraped up my arm while moving my son. I would not normally ask for the sheets to be changed for a 3 night stay, but I noticed there was some blood on the sheets so I left the green card on the bed requesting that they be changed. When we returned to the room it appeared to be in order. The green card was put back in the bathroom and there was a note from the housekeeper(Amber) saying that she had cleaned the room. I was quite surprised and disappointed when I pulled back the bedspread that evening and found that the sheets had not been changed. It felt like a blatant lie and made me wonder if they always change the sheets between guests or just pretend to...ewwww!! Also the bathroom door would not close all the way or lock.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mabasoriano
Dave W, General Manager at Hyatt Place Lincoln Haymarket, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and please accept our sincere apology for all the inconvenience you experienced. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your suggestions will help us to improve. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to Lincoln.

Safe Travels,

Dave Wheaton

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I have never left a negative review before, but after having my job suffer because of what happened during my stay I just want to let others know. The walls are thin in this hotel and the baby in 422 screamed and jumped around for hours a day which carried several doors down to us. This would not have been such a big deal if I had been allowed to sleep in the morning. Unfortunately, the housekeeping service (in tye-dyed shirts, unexpected at a Hyatt) decided to ignore the privacy tag and then argue with me on what time they are "allowed to knock anyway." Of course they didn't just knock again and then again but also attempted entry slamming into the door bar causing me to jump out of the bed scared. Twice. Why would they bother arguing with me? How about say you are sorry...or even, don't, just let me go back to sleep. After checking in only hours before I don't need you to come and strip the beds while we are in them.
We both finally gave up on sleep. The next day they knocked again despite the sign, a different crew this time. At the desk I was told to put the sign out on the door. (Head in my hands) I have stayed at Hyatts many times and I have never encountered such issues and responses to those issues (arguing policies at me). Regardless of the time you are allowed to disturb the client anyway, despite their request that you don't, it doesn't mean that all people, who are NOT CHECKING OUT that day, sleep only until 8 am and wake up and leave the room. Some clients may be specifically working from the room or whatever else they need to do, and may not keep the precise hours you prefer. I was told at the desk they like to finish the cleanings and get out early or at a proper time each day. We never requested housekeeping to stay on late to tend to anything, we requested NO SERVICE at all. Is that not our right after only half a night in the hotel?
I gave myself some time to think about it before leaving my review. I know the manager reads them and I'm so sorry that he will have to read this, as he is so polite and wonderful to the other reviews..If it were a minor annoyance I would of course have let it slide. I am upset that because of the no-sleep the first two nights, we actually had to add days to our trip, at $160, and then when they were sold out actually go to another hotel to get the work done we needed to, which cost us two days' work back home and being late on our deadlines in town. We both ended up losing money on this work trip, instead of making money working. I come to Lincoln every month. I will miss the things about Hyatt that I enjoyed in other cities.
Other notes: the tv remotes have never worked in our rooms here, no microwave, but thankfully a fridge.

POSITIVE Note: There was a desk agent who was there only at the beginning and end of our stay. I wish he had been there during the middle awful part. He was very polite, understanding and courteous in trying to help me solve the issues here. He left notes and attempted to rectify the problem. He even saw us borrowing a few gym towels and saw to it we had some large towels for our showers. He was as respectful and pleasant a person as I would have hoped for at Hyatt. I believe his name was Hitch. Thank you Hitch. (five stars for him)

Sorry this was so long. I don't feel redeemed, I feel worse. I don't like leaving such a review as this, I feel bad for saying anything, but I want to stop thinking about what happened on this trip and the bills I can't pay now. Couldn't bring myself to give one star. Anyway thanks for looking.

Room Tip: King Rooms have a shower, Queen have a tub. You may have a preference for this.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nonny Y
Dave W, General Manager at Hyatt Place Lincoln Haymarket, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

I am very sorry we were unable to meet your expectations, please contact me privately at david.wheaton@hyatt.com to address your concerns.

Thank you.

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel exceeded expectations, it is new and very clean. Staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. Was not overly excited that my business trip corresponded with the Katie Perry concert and the hotel is only 1 block from the stadium but there was reserved parking for me in the garage (despite being sold out for the event) and my second floor room that overlooked the street was so quiet (despite the chaos outside). There was even a pair of war plugs next to my bed just in case. The suite was gorgeous with remote control black out shades and square footage bigger than my apartment. Decent breakfast and free toothbrush since i forgot mine. Overall very pleased and will stay here on each if my Lincoln trips in the future. Wish there was bottled water in the room, even for purchase, but that is being a but picky.

Dear Caitlin,
I am so happy you enjoyed our hotel. As a frequent traveler it means a lot to us that you had an outstanding stay. We learned early on to be prepared for concert nights with potential for late night revelry going on adjacent to the hotel. We look forward to your next visit to Lincoln.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is less than one year old, it is very clean and the rooms are lovely. The staff is exceptional, helpful and eager to assist you in any way. The Pinnacle Bank Arena, is a one block walk, and of course being in the historic Haymarket district there is plenty to do in walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is excellent. First Hyatt place since renovations.
The design of the bathroom makes me feel at home(very nice)
The staff wee all great from front desk to housekeeping

Breakfast is included which has healthy options as well.
I will start looking at using this chain

Dear Steven,

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Place. I am pleased you will consider using Hyatt Place hotels in the future. We are adding new locations almost weekly and recently celebrated our 200th Hyatt Place grand opening. More are under construction and are opening almost weekly. Thank you once again for staying with us, we look forward to your next visit to Lincoln.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights the hotel was new and everything was clean. My room Plenty of room, with a fridge and large screen TV, and a single server coffee maker. When I arrived I realized I had forgotten hairspray, when I asked at the front desk where I could find some the gave me a small travel bottle and asked if I needed anything else because the stock the most commonly forgotten items.
Breakfast is included in your room charge but really left you wanting something else, coffee was cold and weak.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The room colors were subtle, restful and pleasing. The spacious room was spotless and provided refrigerator and coffee-making facilities, soap/shampoo/conditioner. The bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly. A parking garage was located next door with a reasonable fee. There were lots of restaurants within walking distance, and the hotel is convenient to the city and university. We were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple