“We always stop here when we pass through McCook”

Bieroc Cafe & Sehnert's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in McCook
Denver, Colorado
“We always stop here when we pass through McCook”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Good coffee and iced tea, great donuts, breads to take home, and sandwiches on homemade bread.

Visited April 2012

McCook, Nebraska
“Local favorite! Cafe'/ Bakery”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is the "hot spot" downtown, it has a very nice lunch menu but the service is slow so be prepared for that but it makes it up in friendliness and atmosphere!
They also have a great folk concert series and if you can snag some tickets it will be some of the best live music you can find anywhere! They serve beer, spirits and wine during special evening events

Salem, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A 5 star delicious experience!”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I live in Oregon and was visiting family in North Platte. We drove to McCook to check out two shops: the kitchen store and the bakery/cafe across the street. My family had never been there before. We had lunch first. Another review talked about the cafe, which I agree with. So I'll discuss the food.

We each had a different sandwich so we could "taste test" the food. I substituted a small side of cole slaw for the standard chips with mine; I wish I had ordered a large side. It was creamy and had well-balanced sweet and tart flavors--subtle, not overwhelming--and the vegetables were fresh and crispy. The sandwiches were delicious with well-balanced flavors. My turkey sandwich was a very pleasant surprise with honey mustard and thinly sliced apple! I wished I could take one with me.

When we finished lunch we put together a box of pastries and some bread to take home. I ordered creme horns, apple fritters, date bars, and large cinnamon rolls. My cousin ordered other donuts and both cinnamon and white breads. All were excellent with one exception, which I'll touch on in a bit.

The creme horns were crispy crunchy with a pleasantly dense filling and coated with crystal sugar. The apple fritters were small but dense, not airy fluff, and moist with lots of cinnamon, apple bits and an added ingredient...walnuts. Date bars can be cloying but these were not because the crust wasn't sweet. It seemed to be made of finely ground nuts and flour and butter. I've seen these kinds of crusts be very dense and hard. These had wonderful texture. Excellent taste. The cinnamon rolls were delicious with lots of cinnamon in a sweet dough with beautiful texture. They also have smaller cinnamon rolls with pecans, but I didn't see them until everyone was out the door. The cinnamon bread is slightly sweet and is coated with the crystal sugar. It wants to come unrolled in a toaster but it makes wonderful, lightly crispy toast...so who cares?

The one disappointment was the white bread. But that is probably a matter of taste. At home I eat dense multi-whole-grain breads. My Nebraska family likes good, dense white bread....hard to find in North Platte. (If I want a good white bread I'll get it from Great Harvest.) This bread has very good flavor, but is lighter and more moist than our tastes cared for. You may think it is just fine.

I recently e--mailed the owner and asked about having an order shipped to Oregon. Luckily he said he could do that. I highly recommend the food at this quaint little bakery/cafe!!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Marilynn L
Nebraska
“This is the place to go if you have a Sweet Tooth!!”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

The atmosphere is very neat. It's nestled downtown in an old brick building. Very cozy and clean! They serve a variety of sandwiches, pizza, etc. Great place to go for lunch. Be sure to try one of their delicious doughnuts!

1 Thank Runner247