“Make sure you ask for the upgraded room”

Norfolk Country Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Norfolk
Trumbull, Connecticut
“Make sure you ask for the upgraded room”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Though I am not sure that will help with the plumbing... the reviews are misleading, those people must have gotten the newer rooms, I guess it's not completely done. The beds were old, pillows flat. Overall it was clean, but old. There was no hairdryer, when we called the front, they said only some rooms have them. They did bring one to us. All of that I could have lived with, especially for the price... but the shower was switching hot to cold constantly, not just cool, but COLD water. I mentioned it to the front desk, but it took pushing to get even a 10% discount. Then I was told if I got the upgraded room, I'd have gotten 20% discount!

Room Tip: Ask for the upgraded room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Red Cross team, assisting a local community after tornado damage. The lobby and breakfast areas appeared clean; the rooms, however, need some serious attention. The shower faucets in at least 2 of our rooms didn't just leak, they ran water constantly. Such a waste of water. The carpets were rather filthy everywhere I looked. I heard another guest tell the front desk that his toilet was like a rocking chair, and when it moved around, several black, plump bugs ran out. While we were in the breakfast area, another guest killed a bug on the wall and picked it up with a napkin. There were quite a few "construction workers" staying there, and maybe that's the clientele that they normally service, but it was quite disgusting. My roommate felt the need to look for bedbugs, just in case. During the early morning, while I was in the lobby, the front desk clerk was lounging behind the counter on her phone or something for at least 30-45 minutes. In my point of view, there's always something that could be done. If I had been on vacation, I wouldn't have stayed there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Norfolk hotels

Nebraska
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Thank you Trip Advisor, because I never would have stayed at this property, if I hadn't read these reviews! As long as you book an EXECUTIVE SUITE, you will get a beautiful Marriott-grade room. Nickel finished fixtures, stone and granite in bathroom, comfy bed with tons of pillows, clean, high quality toiletries, new and gorgeous!

I would rate this place five stars, but renovations haven't reached the exterior yet. Once they do, watch out! It will be Norfolk's hottest new boutique hotel. They already have an amazing restaurant/bar!

I'm a long time fan of Baileys and recommend the Beef Tips and Baileys dip! An added bonus? Fri and Sat night, 1.00 beers and 4.00 nachos on the patio!

The breakfast was pretty standard, the stand out item was definitely the cinnamon rolls which appeared to be homemade.
We told many people at the wedding we attended, what an awesome surprise this place was...can't wait till renovations are complete! Ask for pool side!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nebraska
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotwire, it was listed as a 3-star, but I would give it 1.5star. The hotel is very old and somethings have been updated. You can tell from the lobby, executive rooms and pool area that they are trying to keep this hotel alive.

I looked at the pictures on the Country Inn website as well as on TripAdvisor, and you can tell that management left out taking pictures of the regular rooms with regular furniture.

I will have to give the staff credit, everyone we interacted with was very friendly. The first room I got smelled of smoke and I have a toddler and this was not acceptable to me. I went to the front desk and they promptly gave me another room. This one was slightly better, but I gave up at that point.

They do have flat screens in the room but the furniture and bathrooms are dated.

I stay in a hotel about 60 days a year and I regularly stay at Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express and the like. This hotel is not as near as nice as any of those chains.

If you are looking for a deal then this place may be okay, but I hope that this review will give you realistic expectations when staying here.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are better than the others. They have been remodeled more recently.
4 Thank fife2003
NorfolkCountryInn, General Manager at Norfolk Country Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. I understand your concern with our hotel being old. We proudly are celebrated our 50th Anniversary this year. Most hotels are age have been torn down long ago, while our owner has put a great deal of capital renovating the property. We have 85 + rooms that are completely renovated. We have 3 styles of rooms, Executive, Traditional and Economy. You booked your room through Hotwire and you reserved one of our Economy Rooms. These room are not renovated, so you are correct, the rooms are outdated. I cannot look up your reservation since you did not provide your name, but our Hotwire rates start at $34.00/per night. When paying this low of rate, you cannot expect to get one of our Executive Rooms. We guarantee that you could not get any room at the Hampton or Holiday at that rate. If you would have made a reservation for a Traditional or Executive Room, you would have been very pleased.
We are surprised that you stayed at our hotel being that you normally stay at Hampton or Holiday Inn. There are both here in Norfolk and had rooms available this weekend. This makes me think that you have a connection with these hotels who are owned by the same person and that you stayed at our hotel in order to write a bad review in order to raise their rankings.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Pool was supposed to be heated and was not. Mattresses were supposed to be pillowtop and were not; rock hard in my opinion. Our non-smoking room reaked of smoke. Location of room was noisy. Front desk state our room was one of the most recently updated and had been stripped from top to bottom. Couldn't tell since our feet were black after walking around in the room. No exhaust fans in the bathroom which was weird. Oh - and I think we could have gotten more light if we plugged nightlights into each socket.

1 Thank Disgruntled K
Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time. We would like to address your concerns. Our outdoor swimming pool is heated to 89 degrees. However if you stayed this last weekend, the Norfolk Area was unseasonal colder and the pool may have been cooler simply die to the cooler weather.
If you indeed stayed in one of renovated rooms, they all have either Pillow Top Omaha Bedding Company or Sealy Pillow top mattresses. Our Economy Rooms that have not been renovated do not have pillow top mattresses. You must have been in one of these rooms.
The lights in your rooms are energy efficient light bulbs. We try to be as green friendly as possible. This is the first I have heard the lights were not bright enough and we have been using these light bulbs for well over a year.
We would encourage you to reserve one of our Executive Rooms on your next trip to the Norfolk Area. They compare to any Full Service Marriott or Hilton room. Again, thank you for your comments.
Norfolk, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We recently had a wedding to attend in Norfolk. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. What more an you ask for when you are staying at a low cost motel. We would definitely return. The pool was very clean and sparkling. We wished we would have brought our suits.