“Fine place to stay”

Motel 6 North Platte
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in North Platte
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Excellent location right off the I-80, so it was easy for me to find late at night when I didn't know where I was going (I had planned out my trip to stay in another town, but left too late to make it there and decided to stop for the night in North Platte). Thankfully I found a room at 10pm at a great price. The office staff was helpful in that they told me about the Perkins down the street that was open 24 hrs and had free wifi, so I didn't have to pay extra for the room's internet access and you got 10% off meals there when you bring in your Motel 6 receipt. I got some dinner in me and I was allowed to come get another meal for breakfast 10% off the next morning. Had a good night's sleep to get me back on the road in my across country move. My stuff was safe for the night and had a good noon check out time.

Bottom line: Definitely would stay if I'm ever in North Platte again - clean place and very helpful staff. Maybe a bit older place, the door stuck so I had difficult time getting into the room once it was closed, but it was worth the price when I had no reservations for any place in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I recently moved from Oregon to Tennessee, driving for four days. We stayed here on our second night and it was definitely the worst night of the trip.

I felt sorry for the girl at the front desk. There were about six of us that all arrived at the same time and she did her best to get everyone checked in while apologizing for the wait. She was the only person there and also had to answer the phone. Aside from the activity in the office, I don't think it was safe for her to be there alone. I was nervous about the area and didn't feel very safe.

The carpet in the room felt damp and we kept our shoes on. There were what looked like shaved hairs on the shower curtain and sink. A group of people stood outside my window talking loudly until after 11 p.m. Being a single woman with a daughter, I didn't feel comfortable asking them to quiet down. They looked a little rough.

I'm sure there were other things that bothered me, but this is enough reason to never go back and to warn others against.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KatAlex11
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We tried to book a room around town as we were passing through and North Platte was most convenient to our eventual Yellowstone destination from across the country. Weary travelers generally are easy to please as we will put our heads on a pillow and be gone in the morning.

North Platte, NE in general was most inhospitable to tourists. The motels and hotels (and we looked around well online) were substantially higher than other cities and especially small towns who are hungry for business. There is obviously a collusion between townspeople to keep rates high because even though we paid a high end rate for Motel 6, we got a run down, shabby shack of a place to grab a few hours shuteye. There was no continental breakfast, no decent bedding, no nice smelling hallway (nasty spray stuff over foul hanging odors) and no clean area. Even the sheets were rather suspect and certainly had that limp kind of feel that I associate with cut rate cut corner housekeeping.

I can usually find something good anywhere and I did enjoy the front desk staff who tried to be as friendly and helpful as possible. They had to recognize that they were selling a product only an inner city druggie could be really proud of and still did their best to be polite and cheerful. One was being trained, so it was even more important that the other employee put on a good face. They had some trouble with the computer and we ended up in the wrong room. They called to change us, but we had already sucked it up and decided to brave it out where we could see the car through the window and feel a little safer knowing we could always take off running if we needed to.

A final word: Avoid North Platte. Nebraska isn't well known for anything remotely touristy, but this was a choreographed nightmare and until they compete for business in a true marketplace environment, the high prices and low product value will continue.

Room Tip: Stay in Wyoming! Bring one of those hygiene cocoons and a lot of money if you have to stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nabenom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our bathroom was fairly new and clean. Carpet and beds were clean. The parking was well-lit, but there wasn't a lot of of extra space. The overflow parking to the south of the building was also pretty much full up, so it would pay to get in early to find a parking spot. Hallway carpet was a bit long in the tooth, but reasonably clean. There is a McDonald's and Wal Mart nearby for restocking road supplies and food. Did I mention that the room and bathroom were clean? There was also plenty of hot water, which is a big item on my list. It is not the Hilton, but it was a good value for the money.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I frequently stop at Motel 6 since I am a budget traveler and oftentimes have my dog with me. I appreciate the fact that they allow dogs without tacking on extra fees. In North Platte, I found the building horribly run down. My first room had a toilet that overflowed when I flushed it with no paper in the bowl. The bed was bad and the carpeting totally shot. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful--can't complain about that, and they did get me a new room which was an big improvement. Still, the facility is overpriced and not one that I would ever stay at again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank dognlap
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is probably the nastiest hotel I have been in. Smelled like old smoke, stained carpets and walls. Best of all the room was filthy. Not just unclean it was disgusting. Hair in the shower sink and bathroom, it looks like they had not done a deep clean in years. The build up of dirt and filth by the walls was horrible. This place reminded me of a crack flop house. I literally slept in my clothes only using the white sheets. Run don't walk. Go stay at the motel 6 in Kearney about 45 minutes east. Please see my review

Room Tip: Here is a tip, don't choose this motel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bubbaskyjacker
Reviewed 24 March 2014

First i want to say EVERYONE was very friendly and helpful. We got in on the 16th, moving here from another state and had food that needed to be either frozen or thrown away. We asked the desk clerk if we went and purchased a small chest freezer could we have it in our room. She said yes, no problem. So we did.
My fiancee drives truck and is only around every few days or so and a short time at that. Well 5 days into our original 2wk stay as we wait for our apartment, we get told we can't have the freezer in our room. Well my fiancee is out of town, we are out of money for the freezer if we can't keep it.
Needless to say the manager got it okay'ed for us to have it. We left early anyway.
The beds are old and uncomfortable; cleanliness is NOT priority but they said they're training new housekeepers. Same thing Days Inn said. The motel was very noisy but for the price you can't expect much. Hospitality was their strong point.

• Stayed: March 2014