“Great for family reunions or class reunions”
Review of Ponca State Park

Ponca State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ponca
Reviewed 5 August 2014

One of the best state parks for amenities that I have been at. The mini lodges were beautiful and very clean. Woke up to wild turkeys walking around our yard. Something to do for young and old alike. The full moon hike was a challenge for some of us "older hikers" but a great experience. The swimming pool is very old but in the works is a new one with water park..Anxious to go back in the future.

1  Thank Veda E

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a reunion and it was great! The new mini lodges are awesome and so nice. The main conference building is wonderful and my kids loved the little museum a lot. I would jump at the chance to come back

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in Ponca State Park for a family get together over July 4 weekend. It was a fantastic experience. We stayed in the mini lodge which was fabulous. 4 good size bedrooms, 2 full baths, full kitchen, all the amenities. Wi fi was slow, but hey, you're in a beautiful outdoor space, turn your electronics off anyway. The park is very pretty,located on the bluffs adjacent to the Missouri River. The park has an education center and offers some really great classes. Members of our party did archery, horseback riding, hayrack ride and backwater kayaking. The horseback riding guides weren't as enthusiastic as we would have liked, but guides for all the other events were really great. The park also offers miles of hiking. Be prepared for the hills. But the great thing is that after you tire yourself out on a long hike, you can go back to the comfort of the air conditioned mini lodge and refresh yourself. I'd go back again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was amazed to find friendly staff on duty at the huge, modern Visitor Center when I arrived a couple of hours before the 8:00 PM closing time. The day use $5 and campsite $12 fees were extremely reasonable. I was a little disappointed by the over-development of the four-mile deep park, with fancy cabins for rent. Of course, I am a wilderness backpacker, unaccustomed to luxurious accommodations.

The tent sites were located beyond the RV loop, four miles into the park, that had pressure water taps, electricity, and a shower house. The RV campers will love, love, love the park. I was the only tent in the campground on May 20. The tent sites are spacious, though a bit randomly distributed at the remote end of the park. I hiked to the Three-State Overlook and the Old Bur Oak Tree. The hikes are what I call "dog walks," easy and short, nothing like the ten-mile, 5,000-vertical foot ascents that I take in Colorado. The visit added an extra day of travel and about 200 miles to my trip from eastern Iowa to central Colorado, but the more leisurely pace was worth it.

1  Thank MountainMan-Kim
Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you have never traveled to north east nebraska and had the opportunity to stay at the Ponca State Park you have missed out. A wonderful park with activities for all ages or if you don't want to do anything a peaceful place where you can climb to the look out point and see, Nebraska, South Dakota and Iowa. Alright maybe not 4 corners but seeing three states at once any where in Nebraska is a big thing. Park is bordered by the Missouri River on the east and you can tent, camp, stay in small rustic cabins or in our case the last 4+ years we have stayed in the mini-lodges. 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room and kitchen. Great decks off the house looking out in to the ash forests or at the Missouri. Cable TV and free wifi. Kind of keeps all ages busy. We have been there for family gatherings for the last 10 years+ and this year it was just our family. Park has a small swimming pool, not overly modern that is open in the afternoons. Sits about 2-3 miles outside of Ponca, Nebraska and probably 20 west of Sioux City, Iowa. Park has many activities that you can take part in or you can hike or relax. If you ever get the chance would highly recommend the mini lodges but you have to book early for the summer months. You can book up to a year in advance for the cabins/lodges. This could probably have been listed under hotels but it is not technically a hotel. Some min lodges are handicapped accessable.