“Nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were here for a friend's wedding and stayed the night. The room was a very good size, clean, peaceful and the bed was very comfy. Food for the wedding breakfast was lovely, as was the breakfast the next morning with the full English being cooked to order. The surroundings were beautiful, and look lovely in all of the wedding photos.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 13Pizzalover13
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. I'm pleased you've had a good stay and we hope you may return in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband took my inlaws here today for a birthday celebration and we had a lovely time. A 3 course Sunday lunch, each course was lovely we all had different but we were all happy with our choices, I informed the restaurant on booking that my father in law was a celiac and they catered completely for him offering different options , the service was excellent we could not fault it, friendly and warm and a drink in Charlie's bar afterwards over looking the lake made a perfect Sunday afternoon, the waitress even presented my mum inlaw with a candle in her desert when it arrived un promted by us. I recommend this for a special Sunday lunch treat we will go again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Maria387
Thank you for your lovely review. We are very pleased you had such a great Sunday lunch and I have passed your great comments onto the team. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We visited here for my nephew's wedding in August.

On arrival we made our way over the bridge to the venue, all I can say is we had to have eyes in the back our head watching our 2 boys aged 5 and 3. The moat or whatever it is called is basically an island with quite steep drops and is therefore surrounded by water, none of which is fenced off so if you are going their with young kids its a nightmare. We couldnt relax because of the surroundings and we witnessed someones child running to the edge with his Dad running frantically behind him trying to stop getting to the edge, luckily he did catch him. It would so much better if the hotel could at least fence a part of this area off from the water to make it more child friendly.

For the actual ceremony we had to cross back over the bridge to the main building where we found a very rude receptionist, my 12 year old nephew had been stood waitining patiently at her desk to ask where he could leave the wedding gift to only be ignored for at least 10 minutes until my sister went over and had to make his presence known, she then never spoke to either of them she just took the present and left it behind her desk.

After the ceremony we crossed back over the bridge to the nightmare grounds to run round for a couple of hours after the kids whilst the wedding party had their photos taken.

Once we were called for the evening meal we made our way upstairs to the allocated room, we were the last of the group to get to the room and were told which table we were seated at. We got to our table to find that were only 3 chairs (we are a family of 4) so I went to the toastmaster to tell him of the problem and he came with a chair shoved it under the table and said oh I wondered why we had an extra chair and then went to walk away no apology nothing, so I had to ask him about the place settings as it wasn't made clear that there were enough place settings just not enough chairs. He was very uninterested and had a couldn't be bothered attitude in the end I had to move people around the table to make more room for the chair he shoved at the table as the 4 of us were crammed in to a tiny space.

The food itself was ok nothing spectacular, but the soup, oh dear the soup!! They fetched it out in what I can only describe as a cauldron which was boiling hot and then bent over your shoulder to serve it to you, I was on the edge of my seat shielding the kids from it, if any of the staff had dropped that cauldron then you would suffer third degree burns and would be on your way to hospital, I know this country is health and safety mad but my god that isn't right serving soup like that.

The evening do was in a different room further down in the building and this was quite a good set up with a dance area and tables over looking the lake and then a quieter area to the back of the room and it also had its own outdoor decked area overlooking the lake which was lovely, but again not for kids!

All in all this place looks fantastic from the photos but I woulnd't go back by choice, only if we were invited to another wedding their.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mum_of_2_1981
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We have just visited because we thought it would be nice to go for our 6 yr anniversary with our two young children.(memories really).
We had our wedding reception here on August 28th 2007.
I had to leave feedback based on our experience today.
The food in Charlie's bar is now quite poor, not what we had come to expect. The place needs a really good clean, dirty tables, carpets, windows, furniture etc etc. I'd recommend hiring a cleaner daily!
The staff do look "bored" at work,everything seemed a bit of an effort. Reminded me of the Harry hill sketch with Kevin the teenager.
Come on Walton the grounds are stunning and what we remembered but sadly lacking in the quality throughout.
We ll probably try again next year but might just stick to a drink outside.
This isn't a review I've enjoyed typing but felt I had to

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Brierleys4546
Thank you for your review. We take all our reviews seriously, positive and negative. I'm sorry things did not seem the same to you and I will certainly raise your points in our next departmental meeting. I do hope you will come back next year and you enjoyed the rest of your anniversary.
Sheffield
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Very disappointing. We have stayed at this hotel before and enjoyed our experiences, but this time we paid full price for 2 nights B&B and although the staff were very good, food ok etc the whole experience was spoilt by the dum dum dum of the wedding disco under our room which went on all evening. We would have appreciated being advised that our room was going to be "on top" of the wedding disco before we pre paid our bill at check in.

In addition, the room carpet was covered in biscuit crumbs, on check in, which we pointed out to the receptionist. It was cleaned immediately but this coupled with the disco in our room makes our decision never to this alleged four star hotel return an easy one to make...

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheffielders_9
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry your second stay with us was disappointing for you and I will pass your comments onto the relevant people.
South Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a family wedding here. It is the location which sells this place. Amazing views, beautiful wedding pictures. The meal was excellent and the venue was a perfect wedding setting. We had absolutely no complaints with our room and actually stayed in the room someone has wrote a negative review about! It was spotless clean. The honeymoon suite is out of this world! The negatives are the rooms are overpriced and the staff are very young and clearly didnt really want to be there. The bar also lacked certain drinks (blank stare when asking for a jäger bomb). Also the night reception room/dance floor was a strange layout and with 150 guests was very cramped. The out door BBQ would have been fantastic - but not so much in the rain! All in all I would recommend this venue for any wedding but maybe not just for a one night weekend stay. I think if i had come for a relaxing break i would be annoyed by a huge wedding party taking up the bar/eating areas, and the noise levels.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Beckyf1984
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm very pleased that all in all you had a good stay and enjoyed the wedding.
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We had our wedding here in July and it was amazing!

The wedding co ordinator Pauline was fantastic we met her to discuss everything on a few occasions before our wedding and she kept us relaxed during the run up to our wedding and was always available for any questions we had I can't thank her enough for her help she certainly is a great asset to Waterton Park Hotel.

On the day everything was perfect the staff here went out of there way to make everyone have a great day and it did not go un noticed we are very thankful.

The food was great, the rooms were great and the grounds are amazing we had one of the best days of our life :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon R
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments and I will ensure Pauline receives your feedback. She works very hard to ensure every bride and groom have an amazing experience from start to finish and that their wedding day is perfect! Congratulations to you both and all the best for the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walton
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
#1 of 1 in Calder Grove
Holiday Inn Express Wakefield
Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel

Been to Waterton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!