“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful location”

Waterton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Hartlepool
“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful location”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I visited the waterton park hotel when I was on a business trip.
This hotel has two parts to it the old part and the new part, I stayed in the old part and I am so glad I did. The hotel has bags of character with fantastic views.
It does have a couple of minor downsides firstly it is not very well signposted when you drive up the road I ended up driving up a bridal way, when I found the hotel I went to the new part only to be told that I was in the old part of the hotel which was across the bridge and lastly the price of the drinks are really expensive costing over £4 for a pint of bitter

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Datxman
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I'm pleased you liked our lovely hall on the island, your right the views are fantastic!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

At £180 a night you would think you would get top service!
We paid £120 per night wedding rate, but still it wasn't great and I wouldn't go back

Our king size bed was two singles pushed together - a nice hole in the middle of the bed, so no snuggles for me
Two pint pots where on the window filled with fag ends from where the guests in the room before where clearing smoking out the window ( placed outside the window)
There was only one hot chocolate and one pack of biscuits in a room booked for two.
We where near the room where the cleaners office was, we where awoke by what sounded like a group of fish wives talking and giggling in the office with the door wide open.!!
Not very professional at all.

Guinness - at £4.60 a pint you think the staff would know how to pour this - no straight to the top in one go!!!
When I asked for a cocktail, I had to wait till a member of staff was found who could make it!

Food in the bar took forever to arrival ( on both days we where there )
Bar staff (girls) had little product knowledge on dishes on offers

On arrival we went to what looked liked the main reception, to be told it was shut, we went across the bridge with all our bags, to check in and then back across the bridge ! No help offered by staff.

Breakfast was very poor, lots of dirty tables, had the feel they had children working for them.
No hospitality skills, no great service, filter coffee was in our coffee!
When I asked for brown sauce, the waitress got it off another couples table! Nice

The wedding we went to was good, pretty location, nice setting, well set up, food was wonderful land all the silver service staff were good, serving from the correct side and wine was poured correctly. The manager was lovely, professional and helpful.

Leisure staff were also polite.

Steam room was very old, but pool was nice

Make up your own minds

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicola Elizabet... S
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I'm pleased you enjoyed the wedding.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We made the fantastic decision to have our wedding weekend here and we had the most magical and amazing wedding. The location was so beautiful and romantic, the food at the pre-wedding dinner and the wedding breakfast was fantastic and cannot be faulted, the staff were so friendly and lovely it was like being amongst family. Pauline was our wedding co-ordinator and so much more. She was so kind, friendly and made it so personal to us and nothing was a problem. In the evening the location became even more beautiful and stunning and was such an amazing place for our wedding photos. The accommodation and bridal suite was fantastic, luxurious and definitely 5 star with views that were breathtaking particularly with the late winter as the trees were full of different New England colours. We have left with memories and an amazing and magical experience that we will never forget.

Room Tip: If you have a choice of room pick a room in Walton hall on the island as the views are even more ama...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo_Stu_2011
Wow what a lovely review. Pauline will be really thrilled by your lovely words, she works so hard to ensure all her Bride and Grooms have the best day ever. I am so pleased you had such a fantastic wedding and we do hope to see you both again in the future. All the best to you both.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We attended a friends wedding and stayed over at the end of November. This was one of the nicest weddings that we have been to. The venue is beautiful and the attention to detail from the staff was really good. Being friends of the Grooms parents, we were told of all the "behind the scenes" things that the staff had taken care of effortlessly, even when they visited the venue in the lead up to the wedding they were made to feel very special. The Ceremony was beautiful, the catering was really good, both for the wedding breakfast and the evening reception, we could not fault anything. Our room was lovely, we paid extra for an executive room which was on the ground floor with French doors leading out into the gardens. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was really good with plenty of choice, the only downside to breakfast was that service finished at 9.30 and we thought that a little early for a Sunday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pandjhinch
Thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased you had such a good time at the wedding. I will pass your comments on to all involved. I hope we can welcome you back some time in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We attended a family wedding last weekend, and was blown away by the beautiful location, superb food and the at tentative staff.
We arrived the day before the wedding and were allocated a huge family room. It was clean, modern and peaceful. The breakfast the next morning was plentiful and lots of choice.
We went for a walk around the golf course which surrounded the hotel and island. Fresh air and beautiful surroundings.
Pauline the wedding coordinator was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and everything went well on the wedding day.
I would certainly visit again for a weekend away or a family get together.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nettuno186338
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I will pass your kind words onto all involved and Pauline will be thrilled. Everyone works so hard to ensure excellent customer service and its always great when its recognised.
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Wow this beautiful hotel (The older part) has a moat around it. The staff are very friendly and efficient. The food is excellent. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There are tea and coffee facilities in the room. Iron and ironing board, the hairdryer is very powerful.

I look forward to visiting again.

Only comment would be add a sign at the entrance as only the Golf course is sign posted not the hotel... unless I missed it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LynneFL10
Thank you for your great review! We hope to welcome you once again in the near future.
Huddersfield
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My boyfriend and I I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in October 2013 after attending a friends wedding. I ordered a standard double room with breakfast at £120. The room was very nice, a good size and was clean with all the necessary ammenities. The breakfast was brilliant with plenty of choice and the service was good. The rooms get very hot on a night time however once we opened the windows it soon cooled down. The shower was lovely and powerful and there were tea and coffee making facilities.

I requested a late check-out (12.30pm instead of 10.30am) so that my boyfriend could sleep in as he was due to work a night shift that night. A housemaid knocked on the door at 10.30am and woke him up and he politley explained to her that we had a late check out and to come back later. The maid then returned shortly afterwards and entered the room despite us putting a 'do not disturb' sign on the outside door handle. Again he explained that we had booked a late check out. Then shortly afterwards he got a telephone call to the room from reception staff who came across as rude asking us to vacate the room as we were late for check out. When I actually checked out at 12.30pm I complained about this to the reception staff who were very apologetic and kindly did not charge me for the late check out fee (£10). So although the constant disturbances were annoying at the time, the staff were professional when handling my complaint and it appeared to be a genuine mistake.

As for a wedding venue this hotel is second to none! The grounds are beautiful, the ceremony was very well planned and the food was delicious. It was obvious that they are experts at co-ordinating weddings as the whole day went without a hitch!

I would definately recommend this hotel as both a wedding venue or as a romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank littlelise
Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. Our apologies again for the mishap with the late checkout and we are really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you to the Waterton Park Hotel omnce again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walton
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Calder Grove
Wakefield Limes Hotel
Wakefield Limes Hotel
#6 of 19 in Wakefield

Been to Waterton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!