“picturesque location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterton Park Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Waterton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Preston, United Kingdom
“picturesque location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel which consists of two buildings is set in the most picturesque surroundings. Walton Hall is an old Georgian manor house sitting on an island surrounded by a lake, and accessed by an iron bridge, and Waterton Park Hotel is a modern purpose built hotel on the mainland. I have stayed here several times, accomodated in both buildings and have always had an excellent visit. My wife and I stayed here last weekend after attending a dinner party at the hotel. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable with a four poster bed. The dinner was superb, and breakfast was a mixture of everything you could want from cereal to fruit to full english. As always the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for a short break or just an overnight stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robbgee
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your great review! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Greek first
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

My family and I stayed in the Gamekeeper's Cottage over the summer. It seemed ideal for our week-and-a-half-long stay (it was my husband and me, my in-laws and our 18-month-old son) with three bedrooms, two and a half baths and a full kitchen/living room and a washing machine. And it was ideal in many ways. There was a great living room, a TV, some games, enough space for all of us, etc. But things were just a bit off.

First, the floor downstairs was always filthy - granted tile attracts dirt, but when my son walked around with bare feet they were literally BLACK in a few minutes. So they could have done a better job of simply mopping the floor. I am not sure they ever even really swept it! Second, the kitchen was lacking basic, basic things. We had to buy our own bowls, a toaster, a can opener, sponges, liquid soap, paper towels and a variety of other items that SHOULD be in a kitchen (and have been in any other hotel I've ever stayed in). There was a also a washing machine without a dryer component - and, oddly, nowhere to hang your clothes once they came out. So we bought a drying rack, too. Most of that stuff is still there - so anyone that stayed after us probably fared a bit better! As for items for my son, the highchair in the house was really gross - covered in food top to bottom. I had to completely wipe it down - something the hotel also could have done. And the cot was a simple pack and play, but a bit grotty (as were the sheets they put in there) - another thing that should have been wiped down.

On the other hand, the hotel itself was lovely and we had our own little garden out front, which my son loved. We had our own parking spot and the pool was fantastic. And we loved the outdoor space at the main hotel - spent a whole day with extended family having drinks out by the lake with the ducks and geese. It's a beautiful place all in all and probably very romantic, too, depending where you stay. They were also very accommodating when it came to ensuring our son had food to eat and was comfortable.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that paying a little attention to the things mentioned would go a long way in making this location better than average. And many people wouldn't care about any of it. And if not, I recommend it! If you do, ask them to give it a good clean before you get there... !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LJWNYC2008
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your feedback.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

A stunning setting but lacking a few of the touches you'd expect in a 4 star hotel. I stayed on a business trip and whilst my room was spacious and clean it was in a part of the hotel that was quite noisy either with staff in the adjacent area or with the noise of old style doors banging every time they were passed though. There is work happening do maybe this didn't help.
Used the swimming pool which was a nice addition and ate in the bar area which again was good. All in all for the midweek cost then I can't really fault it but think it could be so much more.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and feedback.
Orwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I arrived in the dark so could not see just what a lovely setting the hotel was in. It is surrounded by a lake and you need to cross a little bridge to get there. I was travelling alone and was given room 24 which was spacious and had a lovely comfortable genuine four poster bed bed with quality bedlinen. The room faced out from the front of the hotel so in daylight was a lovely view.tHere were two comfortable armchairs and flat screen TV.
Bathroom was also spacious with seperate claw foot bath and double shower.
I had room service both nights and the food was excellent(great real chips)
I tried using the gym but it is very small and you access it via the pool area. There were no free weights and very little room between the aparatus.
Breakfast was nice, all cooked to order and all staff at the hotel were really friendly. Room price for a solo traveller was £70 B &B.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CompanyGal
Thank you for your great review! We hope to welcome you back soon.
Easingwold, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My review of August 2013 seems to have been taken off the system.
Let's try again:
Charlie's Bar has recently been refurbished, prior to that is was populated with old rickety cane chairs, this has improved the seating issues.
The table and the old laminated menus usually need a wipe before I can eat, just to stop me sticking, I have even taken wipes to restaurants to clean tables myself, I do when I go to Charlie's bar.
The food is at best edible, for a piece of chicken, "green vegetables" consisting of a single piece of broccoli and a baked spud ,£13. Utterly ridiculous.
Mine was a burger that had barely seen any heat, it was lukewarm and rare.
All this fell on deaf ears, the staff were more interested in discussing their boyfriends.
There are far more places out there to eat, cheaper, better food, better service.
We do still visit but only for a single drink and to enjoy the scenery.
Please, please can some one tackle the sticky table syndrome, instead of spraying with whatever chemical you use, spreading the food grunge all over the table, then onto the next table with the same cloth.
Use some hot soapy water!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cypeman
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Its such a shame you felt you needed to write such a bad review, but we take all reviews serious and take on board all comments, positive and negative. I do feel your comments were perhaps a little harsh and can assure the general public Charlies Bar is not like this. We have had all the table tops re vanished and we have not had laminated menu's for a long time now.
I do hope we can welcome you back sometime, where I'm sure you will see Charlies Bar is a great place to be!
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We Recently Had Our Winter Wedding at Waterton Park and We Could Not of Wished For a More Perfect Day!!! We Have Had Nothing But Compliments From Our Family And a Friends!!! Pauline and Her Staff Team Could Not Have Been Anymore Helpful Each And Everyone Of Them Went Out Their Way To Make Our Day Run So Smoothly!

The Venue is Simply Beautiful,Rooms Are Beautifully Decorated and Spacious and The Food is Perfect!! The Surroundings are Simply Stunning and Peaceful!!

Would Highly Recommend This Venue In The Future For Anyone Wanting A Venue With a Wow Factor Or Simply A Luxurious Peaceful Weekend Away!!!

We Can Not Thank The Staff Enough For Helping Make Our Wedding The Perfect Wedding

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Katie A
KateCloughPR, Public Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Katie, thank you for your fantastic review, we are so please you had such a good wedding day! Pauline and Amy will be delighted with your comments and I will pass your kind words onto all the staff involved. Congratulations and all the best for your future life together.
Birstall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I booked Waterton Park as my wedding venue without even seeing the place first. I saw picture on the internet and knew straight away that it was the perfect venue for mine and my husbands wedding. We had 30 guests that traveled from outside the country to be at the wedding and having a hotel at the venue was a great advantage. I can't thank the wedding staff enough for making our day so special, from the very first email to the last, Pauline and Amy were very helpful. Having to organize the wedding outside the country was sometimes a task but not with Pauline and Amy. Everything was organized by emails and the day couldn't have gone any smoother. The venue is so beautiful and a perfect setting for a wedding. The honeymoon suite was lovely, very spacious with big glass windows looking out onto the lake. Once again thank you very much for our perfect wedding.

Room Tip: Room 60 is a HUGE family room. The honeymoon suite in Walton Hall is beautiful.