“Brilliant!!”

Waterton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walton
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Brilliant, beautiful, peaceful hotel. Rooms very generously sized, bathroom very modern and very generously sized too. Very clean, staff all very friendly, grounds breath taking. The only point I have slightly negative... We stayed in the main side of the hotel near the car park not across the bridge. There never seemed to be anyone on that reception an when we did need something on an early evening we had to go across the bridge to the other section of the hotel.
But over all experience was brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Emma W
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass your comments regarding reception on to the relevant people. I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Waterton Park Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed in.
Almost everything was 5/5 or 10/10. Rooms are fantastically furnished, spotlessly clean, generously sized. Bathroom was a pleasure to use, with powerful and large headed shower. Bath enormous. Bed extremely comfortable. Ambient temperature of the room spot on, even though it was very hot outside.
Staff are extremely polite and helpful, smart in appearance and a delight to deal with. Evening meal in Charlie's Bar reasonably priced and very good quality. Breakfast fantastic, cooked to order, quickly (rather than those horrid under a hot lamp affairs).
Only very minor point is that some of the draft beers on sale in the bar could be better quality, but in the grand scheme of things, a small down point.
Grounds are amazing and very picturesque.
Good Wi-Fi (free) signal throughout the hotel, and the same for mobile signal (I can only assume that those who found otherwise are using the wrong network)
I would recommend that other hotel owners make a visit to discover how a hotel should be run and presented. This venue puts other so called quality and 5* hotels to shame.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank S D

Wow, thank you so much for your superb review! We do pride ourselves in our customer service and standards and we are delighted you had such a fantastic experience and stay at Waterton. I do hope we get the pleasure of your company again in the near future

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We recommended this hotel as a venue where my husband and I could stay with 3 other couples. We'd stayed twice before and had had a great time.
The venue is lovely, and our rooms were spacious and clean.
This time I felt the service really let the weekend down, I don't know if it was because there was a wedding on, but the wait between courses for evening meal was far too long, and all you could hear in the fine dining restaurant was the music from the wedding disco. The portions of food were tiny, I ordered steak which tasted good (but was over cooked compared to what I ordered) although it came with just one small roast potato and two slithers of carrot, there weren't any mushrooms as depicted on the menu. Although by the time it came I was so hungry, I was not going to send it back, and incur a further wait!
After booking we noticed an online offer, which was £5.00 cheaper and you got a bottle of prosecco and strawberries. We discussed this with the hotel, who agreed to giving us the extra goodies but refused to refund the £5.00 per couple. As the hotel were getting almost £1000 out of the 4 couples after drinks, I am shocked they'd quibble over a total of £20. Also, when the prosecco did arrive we received a glass each, not a bottle as agreed.
The majority of the staff we came in contact with seemed to lack hospitality skills, which was a real let down for the hotel. A little bit of conversation and interest in your customers goes a long way. Our waiter for evening meal was more interested in how his hair looked.
By morning, we were all ready for breakfast, this was average- almost greasy spoon. For the star rating of the hotel, I would like to see waiter service for cooked breakfast and more variety.
Such a shame it didn't live up to our previous visits, especially when it was recommended to friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank miaandrichiesmum
KateCloughPR, Guest Relations Manager at Waterton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Attended a wedding and stayed over the night before and after the wedding.
The grounds are beautiful and an amazing setting for wedding pictures. Staff are very attentive and helped the wedding party to feel very relaxed on the build up.
All the food was excellent, the meal in the restaurant the night before the wedding was particularly tasty and the service again excellent.
The only small negatives, had booked the upgraded room for night of the wedding and upon check out was charged for the newspaper we had ordered. Given the cost of the room, a complimentary news paper would have been a nice touch. Also no bottle water in the room, it's summer and no air con so woke up very thirsty.
The lack of aircon was a problem as its July and been warm for a while. People were struggling to eat the wedding breakfast as the room was so hot and it wasn't a particularly sunny day luckily. The evening venue again wasn't air conditioned which meant a lot of people spent the night outside on the terrace, which is lovely but we did come away with some bites as overlooking the lake.
Overall a fantastic venue and anyone having a wedding here is very lucky.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lingar0210

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Thank you for your positive feedback and will certainly pass this on for you. I'm very pleased you enjoyed the wedding you were attending and I hope you will get the opportunity to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

First of all lets get the location out of the way, the view is breath-taking is an understatement.
I’m staying in again next week so I will see if I was lucky with my previous stay having a very large room with even larger bathroom, both are very clean and well maintained.
Now for the not so good about this hotel
Since this is a romantic location, I am not sure if it’s geared up to the solo traveller when it comes to the brilliantly located restaurant, couples are fine with waiting long times for the meal to have a drink while having a nice chat, for me being the only sad lonely guy there I just wanted to have my meal and go back to my room and finish my work. But again it might be my luck and they usually provide faster service apart from that night.
The other thing is the downside of staying in such nice location is phone coverage, the second you step into the hotel the signal is gone, and I mean GONE and you have to go out and wait a while until you get a signal barely enough for a phone call and nothing more (no data), on the plus side you have half decent free wifi everywhere inside the hotel and the restaurant/bar.
But even with those two negative points I’m still going to stay here next time I’m heading up north, that’s how much I loved my stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank wizardof1977

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your feedback on the restaurant times and phone signal, I will pass this on. I do hope your next stay is just as enjoyable and I'm very glad you will be returning.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed one night in a huge high ceilinged room in this lovely Georgian building and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The superking bed was extremely comfortable and the thick curtains and quiet location made for a good night's sleep. The very roomy en-suite was provided with both a roll-top bath and a separate shower enclosure.

Breakfast was ample, delicious and perfectly cooked - no crispy eggs or underdone black pudding here!

Before you check out, don't miss the opportunity to walk in the gardens surrounding the hall on its little island - it really is a most special location!

Room Tip: A noisy kitchen extractor at the back of the main hall comes on fairly early as breakfast prep start...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James M

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review! I do hope we get to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and wished we had booked for more.We previously stayed at the sister hotel [MINSTER] in York and booked Waterton Park expecting it to be of the same standard as the Minster.Waterton Park far exceeded our expectations.We had a lovely room overlooking the lake.A fantastic shower and bathroom and a nice area to sit and watch the lake.All the staff were friendly and welcoming and the food in Charlies B ar was excellent.We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kachalmers

Thank you for your great review! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walton
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Wentbridge House Hotel
Wentbridge House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wentbridge
Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel

Been to Waterton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!