Barn Anew Bed and Breakfast
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$141
US$115
US$118
US$113
US$104
US$100
US$132
Fairfield Inn
Super 8 Scottsbluff(Scottsbluff)(Great Value!)
US$89
Sportsman Inn(Scottsbluff)
Hotels.com
Candlelight Inn(Scottsbluff)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsb boregon trailpony expressnative american artifactswealth of knowledgescotts bluffother guestsguest roomsorange juliuscommon roomscottsbluff areasanta febalcony overlookinginteresting storieswatching the sunriseplace to staymain floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Initially, I was only looking for a place to spend the night while travelling through Nebraska towards South Dakota - but was so happy when I arrived at the Barn Anew B&B.

The house is just beauftifully located in a large and quiet surrounding, and everything is very clean and well maintained. When I arrived I received a warm weclome from Cher, who not only showed me my room, but noticing my interest, also gave me full tour of the house & garden and some background stories on all the artifacts that she and Allan, her husband, have collected over the years. They have done several extended historic trips across the USA, and have gathered an impressive collection of American history. The whole house and even the guest rooms are completely decorated with such artifacts, each room with its own theme, so it's a bit like living in a museum.

As I was a bit tired from a long day's drive, Cher even shared some crackers, fruit and cheese so that I didn't have to go out to grab dinner somewhere, but could instead just sit on the balcony and enjoy the sunset!

My room (like all other guest rooms) had its own private bath, was meticulously clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious with fruit salad, egg pie, toast and home-made muffins and juice & coffee. Before leaving, Cher gave me some recommendations and even a brochure that she has put together for guests and visitors with recommendations what to do in the wider area.

I enjoyed staying in the Barn Anew and am very happy I found this location along my way through Nebraska - very much recommended!

Room Tip: All four guest rooms are on the upstairs floor and each has its own private bath
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A fantastic bed and breakfast with great views of Scott's Bluff. When we arrived we were given a very warm welcome and tour of the house. As the name might suggest the house used to be a barn but over the years has been converted into a fantastic house. Everywhere is very clean and beautifully decorated with artifacts from America's past and Allen's fascinating trips across the USA. Breakfast was a highlight of our stay, beautifully presented and very filling! We were really sorry we only had time for a one night stay
The Scott's Bluff Visitor Centre is just down the road and well worth a visit.
I highly recommend this bed and breakfast if travelling in this part of Nebraska.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We were driving cross country from Michigan to San Francisco, with no specific agenda - we just wanted to not stay on Interstate 80 all the way. We noticed that NW Nebraska had a national monument called "Agate Fossil" that seemed intriguing, so we headed off I80 onto route 2 across the "SandHills" of Nebraska to the closest city - Scotts Bluff. Unbelievably beautiful and remote drive (be sure to fill up before you embark - not many gas stations along the way). We found the "Barn Anew" on a website, and were lucky to get a room the same day as we neared ScottsBluff.

It is an old Homesteader's barn that has been renovated to be a lovely residential B&B. It actually sits on "Oregan Trail Road" and from the upper deck (a great place to have morning coffee), one can see Mitchell's Pass - where thousands of pioneers passed through the Bluff on their way to Oregan and SF.

The rooms are small but very comfortable, with modern baths, and Cher and Allen are terrific. Both are former school teachers from Wyoming who decided to not end their careers in the classrooms. Allen is still teaching - gave us a full tour with complete history of the site and the region, and then provided us with a one day loop car tour guide that they had written for the local tourism industry.

We spent two nights and loved every minute of our visit. Breakfasts are incredible, and we would definitely recommend it to anyone with an interest in history, nature, and paleontology (definitely drive up to Agate Fossil Monument - worth the drive!).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Fascinating and beautiful barn reconstruction, lovingly done by Cher and Allen, who greet you with a very warm welcome. Peaceful and serene location, with great views across to the national monument. The breakfast was truly wonderful and is a highlight of the stay. Be aware though that rooms are a bit on the small side, have no wardrobes, and hardly any clear surface area (being filled with a whole raft of amazing artefacts and memorabilia); this does mean you will have to "live out of your suitcase" which will probably have to rest on the floor. Not a problem for one or two nights, but could prove difficult if you're planning a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrynEngland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were given an overnight stay at Barn Anew as an anniversary gift. We visit family in Scottsbluff/Gering each summer and were very pleased to receive a night away from the children in celebration of our anniversary. Unsure of what to expect, we were blown away by our stay. The service was wonderful! We especially enjoyed hearing about Cher and Alan's experiences and the stories behind the various items of decor in the B&B. (And, ask for a player piano performance.) There was plenty of privacy for relaxtion on the porches and the grounds ~ which were beautifully maintained. Our accomodations were quite comfortable and very clean. Breakfast was delicious!

I cannot speak to value since our stay was a gift. However, whatever the cost, it is definitely worth the stay!

If you are lucky enough to visit in late July / early August, make sure to collect chokecherries and make your own jelly or syrup!

Our time at Barn Anew was so nice, we have asked for this same gift again next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple