“Surprising”

China One Buffet
Ranked #27 of 33 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Admittedly, I did not go to this restaurant with high expectations. Based on the other reviews one would expect a hit or miss experience. I must have hit a good night. The buffet arrangement is a bit unusual but once you find your way around it seems to make sense. The hostess was most cordial and helpful in the extreme. I found the food remarkably tasty and well prepared. They were out of the Hot & Sour soup but quickly made a pot when I inquired. There was not a dish I sampled that was not as good and in some cases a bit better than what one normally encounters at Chinese Buffet Restaurants. Give them a try.

1  Thank CheshireTurkey

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Inconsistent quality, food is sometimes great, other times horrible. Nice people, too bad you can't bet on the food.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The food there was cold and yuck. When we asked about how it was served the waitress told us that "this is the way they do it in China". I doubt it.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Went in around 2PM, when most buffets are winding down from lunch and preparing for the evening rush. I wasn't expecting all the foods to be full and fresh (which they weren't) but I was expecting to find that one dish that I would like and fill up on. While eating my first and only plate full I was wishing I had gone somewhere else. The food was bland, the chicken dry, and the Rangoon was chewy. However, the restaurant was clean and the staff was friendly.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

This was the strangest Chinese buffet place I've ever been to. I don't know much about Chinese cuisine, but I ordered off of the menu because the buffet only had three vegetarian items, which my boyfriend had and said were all good - garlic mushrooms, roasted potatoes, and vegetable lo mien. None of that appealed to me at the time, so I ordered Ma Po Tofu, since it was in the vegetarian section of the menu and I've had it before elsewhere and it was always pretty tasty. But here, the the cook comes out from the kitchen and asks me if i want meat with that. ??? Um, it's in the VEGETARIAN section of the menu. I said no. When it arrived, there was a lot of it (see photos), but it was very bland. It also looked like they had just opened a can of mushrooms, a can of mixed carrots and peas, and cut up a raw block of tofu and added sauce. It didn't taste fresh at all, but it was only $6.75 and it was very filling. I was surprised the tofu was raw. At other places, it was always deep fried or cooked in some fashion. I've never seen tofu served raw anywhere. But anyway, the place was clean, and the service was friendly and fast. It's a good deal if you like generic Chinese food. Someday, I'd like to try really authentic Chinese food and see if there's a difference between all the Americanized Chinese food I've had. (P.S. Later that evening, as I was eating the leftovers, I noticed there were some green onions in the dish. The flavors had also mingled more and it was slightly more tasty than when it was first served. So get this dish to go and eat it much later, is my advice.)