“I'd never stay here again. Super hard beds. Dirty pool area.”

Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Center
Yankton, South Dakota
“I'd never stay here again. Super hard beds. Dirty pool area.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We decided to stay here, because we love the onsite restaurant, Kahills. We got the Valentine's package, which turned out to be a joke. We were supposed to have champagne & chocolates in the room - turned out to be 4 tiny squares of cake, not chocolates, and a dinky sample bottle of sparkling wine that was enough for by boyfriend and I to each have half a glass. I didn't expect good champagne, but I did expect a bigger bottle. The vending machines & ice didn't work on the 3rd floor. Hunted around 2nd floor and managed to get 2 CANS of pop but that was all we could get to work from that machine. Gave up.
The one nice thing about the room, was there was a little trap door window so we could get some fresh air in. That was a saving grace, because of the rinky-dink heating system - we would've been miserable otherwise. Wasn't a digital thermostat, wasn't a thermostat at all. Under a metal panel, you could choose from hot, cold and high, medium, or low. We set it on low and on the cool side, and it just pumped out hot air, but only in spots. Some parts of the room were cold, other parts were like an oven.
Bed was hard as a rock. With a lump in the middle. My boyfriend likes firm beds, but after an hour, he admitted he was uncomfortable. It hurt to even toss & turn because the bed was so hard and convex, I probably would've been better off on the floor. I don't know how many times I woke up in the night, and then had a sore back the next day. One of the worst nights sleep I've had.
We did check out the pool. There's a cool mural of a beach on one wall by the pool, and the pool was decent size. However, the floor dipped all the way around the pool between the pool and the wall with no drain, so there was just this dirty trench all the way around. I don't know if it's always that filthy, or if they hadn't cleaned the floor in awhile. But I'm guessing that dirty water was what was leaking into the hot tub, and leaving brown rings of suds in it - it was disgusting, and I've never seen a hot tub that dirty.
Overall, I'd NEVER stay here again. I expected more from a place like this, but it was lower quality than some dumpy motels on the interstate - seriously. I'd recommend the restaurant, but stay somewhere else for the night.

Room Tip: River-side view is worth the extra $10.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ificouldonlyfly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This great hotel on the banks of the river has excellent facilities and felt very luxurious.
The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed and the quality of furnishings is excellent.
Staff were excellent and although I didn't try it the attached restaurant is supposed to be very good. For business or for a romantic stay this is a great place, also very well located near downtown Sioux City.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I've stayed in the Marina Inn before and been really impressed by the quality of the furniture, the decor, and most importantly, the rate. Having spent a LOT more for the right to stay in hotels that offer a LOT less, I think that you get a TON of hotel for the money.

I was disappointed this time, however, by the thermostat in my room. Not only did I struggle to find it -- it's an old school model hidden behind a metal panel -- but it wasn't responsive at all, making the room either ridiculously hot or ridiculously cold.

To be fair, I didn't call and ask to be moved to another room -- something I'm certain the receptive and kind hotel staff would have done without question -- but I did leave a little disappointed this time around.

Still a great value for the room rate, though.

Room Tip: If you can get a room rate that includes a complimentary breakfast at the hotel restaurant -- Kahill...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank wferriter
Norfolk, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We greatly enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Our view was also awesome. Get a room facing the river! We also enjoyed some drinks in their very comfortable lounge and the employees working the bar were very nice. We would like to have eaten our meal at the onsite restaurant but all courses are ordered separately, making your meal very costly.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The rooms are comfy, it's a quiet place to sleep, they even have basic washing facilities. In the evening we had a stroll along the river bank and there was a beautiful sunset along the river. All in all a great rest stop after a long day of driving.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a hockey tournament in Sioux City, IA. I was a bit skeptical at first since this is not a Marriott or Hilton, but I was not at all disappointed. The hotel was very nice. The rooms were very clean and decorated very nice. They had some really nice touches that set them apart from any other hotels I have stayed in, like the "M" sticker on the toilet paper roll and the toilet paper bag where the extra roll was kept. The beds were very comfortable. The towels even seemed a bit fluffier than most. The location is very convenient if you have functions in Sioux City, IA. There is a big shopping center within 3 miles with lots of shopping and places to eat. The hotel sits right on the river so we had a view of the river from our room and at the restaurant for breakfast. It was a really nice view.

Although, the food at the hotel was very good, the breakfast selection was very limited and the prices were outrageous. Unless you plan on spending a lot of money on food, I would go out towards the shopping center to find better prices.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the river. It is beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We live nearby but have stayed here a couple of times recently. The rooms are very nice and the beds are comfortable. The desk staff has also been helpful. My complaint is about the banquet food. I've been here for two charitable events and both times I've seen people having to wait for more food to be brought out and they have even run out of some items. I think some of the food and appetizer selections are questionable. The wait staff for these events have been helpful and try to make up for the shortcomings of the food service.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms on the riverside have walkout patios. Very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Sioux City
#13 of 19 in Sioux City
New Victorian Inn & Suites Sioux City
Hampton Inn & Suites Sioux City South

Been to Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!