“Way beyond our expectaions”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avajan
L'Ancienne Poste Avajan
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Myself and my 2 sons, aged 13 and 10 spent the most amazing week staying at L'Ancienne Poste for a family activity holiday. The only bad thing was we had to come home. The boys are still moaning about coming home as in their words ' this was the best holiday ever'. For me what made it so good was that all the responsibility of home life was taken away from me and I was able to enjoy time with my sons and experience activities we would not get the chance to in SE London! I didn't have to worry about what to cook and how to arrange activities as these were all done for me. James the host made it clear from the start that all we had to do was to ask, about anything. Any queries regarding the activities, food or the accommodation he was always around. His staff were also always and around and such a high quality. The atmosphere in the Chalet was so relaxing that we immediately felt at home and settled in. Made extra special in that Leike not only did her job in cleaning and serving us food (and drink) but she joined in with the children. In fact my sons favourite bit of the holiday was the impromptu disco on the last night in which her dancing was excellent! The activities were well suited to the boys ages and really did push us to challenge our limits. They were well organised with excellent guides who catered for the needs of the party. The holiday was also made special as we shared it with other groups. Although we didn't know each other before hand the relaxed atmosphere made socialising easy. (also the constant flowing wine in the evening helped!). The boys made friends with the other children (2 girls) in the group and it was great to see them all encourage one another on the activities and then just have fun in the evenings together. I would highly recommend this holiday destination.

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent.
1  Thank Carole M

Reviewed 18 August 2014

L'Ancienne Poste is an undiscovered jewel on the edge of the French side of the Pyrenees, within a thirty minute drive of the Spanish border. The views are fantastic and the nine days that we spent there have been the best activity holiday we have ever had. James and Leike have really helped to make our stay welcome and Connor's food was brilliant too. Our energy levels were tested to the full with days packed with challenging outdoor activities, full of fun and laughter provided by our hosts, the brilliant instructors and the other families. We will definitely be back again but it will be sad that Leike will not be there to enjoy it with us. As well as cleaning our rooms and arranging our teddies every morning, she helped us progress our art by teaching us how to paint the flowers and beautiful landscapes that we are surrounded by. This is definitely a place that I will recommend again and again to all my friends and anyone else who will listen to me- it really is one of the best places to enjoy a fun packed activity holiday anywhere in the world!!!!!

Room Tip: Pick when you get there fast!!
2  Thank Isabelle-aged12
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and our two daughters, aged eight and nine, stayed at L'Ancienne Poste for six nights. A great time was had by all. The food was superb, the activities great fun (canyoning was the girl's favourite). James was a superb host who plied us with whiskey, wine and good advice.
We hope to return in winter.
Thank you.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

All the reviews you have read are true, this place really is a gem. James is a fabulous host, really friendly, fun, and always ready to answer a question or help in any way. He was fantastic with our children, endlessly patient with their boundless energy and questions - he even took them to the local pool one afternoon and let the adults recover . We spent our days on super activities, and returned to a delicious, well earned meal prepared by Connor. Highly recommended, we can't wait to return in winter.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Perfect in every way....I honestly can't fault it. My son and I have just got back from an activity holiday staying at L'Ancienne Poste, The lodge is like home from home, spotlessly clean, amazing food and James and his staff were attentive, well organised and great fun. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to....we will certainly be going back !

1  Thank Trudi G
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We (husband and 16 yr old son) have just returned from a week staying with James in his idyllic lodge in the Pyrenees. We had a fantastic week. James has endless energy and enthusiasm and really goes out of his way to make sure everyone happy and looked after.
We booked a multi activity week which James arranged prior to our arrival - this was a great mix of activities (many of which he joined us for), as well as some half days for relaxation. Two other families were staying at the same time as us with younger children 10 - 12 years, they had also booked for the same multi activity week. We gelled really well as a group, the activities were fun and suitable for all levels with the option to opt in or out (!) of the more challenging parts.
Our evenings were spent chatting with the other families and hosts (James, Lieke and Conor - all really great), wine flowed freely and the food, canopies followed by generous 3 course meals were excellent.
We would highly recommend this for a summer holiday especially for families with active teenagers.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My friend (an expert in travel) had booked this lodge for her family and asked if we wanted to join them and I am so glad we did! We all stayed with James and his team for a week and had a perfect family/friends holiday. The lodge is beautifully appointed and set in an idyllic location. James booked a range of local activities for us including: canyoning, tree-treking, downhill mountain scootering, river-rafting, rock climbing and personally took us to the most gorgeous waterfall where we spent an unforgettable afternoon jumping off the rock and plunging into the glacier waters below! Each morning, we woke to the gorgeous smell of freshly baked croissants and each night were treated to gourmet, sublime meals cooked by the in-house chef. The whole team is amazing and nothing is too much trouble. Connor baked a gigantic chocolate birthday cake for my son's 10th birthday and James even looked after our youngest son (who is 3) to allow my husband and I to both take part in some of the sporting activities. There are a range of villages nearby which are extremely picturesque and great for shopping and eating out. All in all we had a fantastic family holiday - the perfect combination of luxury and adventure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Been to L'Ancienne Poste Avajan? Share your experiences!