“Lovely setting and building but very poor experience.”
Review of Red Lion Babcary

Red Lion Babcary
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Babcary
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Red Lion Inn, Babcary - a beautiful thatched country pub in the heart of this unspoilt Somerset village.Pubs have always been at the heart of the local community and The Red Lion is no exception. As well as six en-suite rooms, a flagstoned bar and award winning restaurant, we also have a function room that overlooks a pretty courtyard garden and provides an ideal venue for weddings and parties. We offer a range of catering options and have our own marquee.Our team are handpicked for their personality, professionalism and ability to provide first class customer care. Wherever possible, we use local suppliers so that we can offer our customers fresh, locally sourced produce. Our role in the community is important to us and we take every opportunity to reduce our impact on the environment and our neighbourhood.Conveniently situated five minutes off the A303 and A37 The Red Lion is a perfect stop.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My girlfriend and I visited the Red Lion on 22nd August 14' after a recommendation by the owners of the rented cottage we were staying in. We passed by the day before and thought it was absolutely delightful so booked a table for the following evening as I a nice end to our holiday. We arrived at 8pm and were seated after about 10 minutes. It then took a further 30 minutes before we were asked if we would like to order drinks which took another 20 minutes to come, not a good start. We ordered a pizza and crab pasta dish which came after around another 30 minutes. The pizza didn't have any cheese on at all and the crab pasta had shell in it, not good at all. We 'ummed' and 'arred' about complaining but felt we really needed to as it was not cheap. The manager who came over said she was sorry and was very polite and offered to "comp" us the food which we accepted. We had a couple of drinks in the bar before paying the bill and leaving. It wasn't until the next morning that I looked at the receipt to find I had been charged nearly £10 too much for the bottle of wine. Admittedly I should have checked when I paid but you are made to feel so bad about complaining for food that we just wanted to pay and leave. I would recommend visiting this pub for a drink in the bar as the locals we chatted to were very friendly and made the evening, however I would not recommend booking a table for food, based on our experience of course. A real shame as it was supposed to be the end to a perfect weeks holiday. We also had to inform the owners of the cottage we had hired to make them think twice before being so eager to recommend the restaurant to future occupants.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We visited here for my friends birthday all with high hopes of a fantastic evening only to be somewhat let down. Upon arrival it was clear that they were busy but not madly so yet service at the bar was very poor and he seemed to struggle with simple instructions. The menu is rather limited anyway with no specials on offer and we were then told that 3 of the 8 dishes on offer they had run out of, tough choice for non vegetarians as that left them with pork or steak! A couple of us opted for the crab and chilli linguini, all I can say is thank goodness for the water on the table! There was no balancing of flavours as you'd expect for such a delicate fish all you could taste was chilli and lots of it! We then had desert and having everyone's come out we were informed there was no pistachio ice cream, at this point it became a running joke at the table as this was simply ridiculous! The staff were friendly but the barman was a tad incompetent and needed more training and more organisation needed all around. We won't be rushing back anytime soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a simple lunch stop meal here and as it wasn't busy service was good. We were however told that pizza was not available - yet they make something of this being a feature in the publicity! Quite a wait to settle the bill at the bar which wasn't busy - perhaps the waiting staff could have spotted that and ensured we weren't hanging around, or they need a few more staff.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having lived in the area all my life & used the red lion for many years it was nice to see the changes made after my few years of absence. All changes are sympathetic & in keeping with the 'old' pub still recognisable. Shame the rest of the evening didn't resemble the old hospitality! Upon our entry we were immediately asked if we were eating, my pet hate unfortunately as it then implies it's not a pub at all in my mind but a restaurant! We gave our name as we had booked a table. We were told the kitchen had a 'flurry' so we may have to wait. We eventually got drinks after telling the barman 3 times what we wanted, he even walked away after the first request & ignored us even though he had asked what we would like! We asked three times if our table was ready & eventually we were told that the restaurant staff hadn't been told we had arrived! The food was very overpriced, the lady on the table next to us had a huge piece of belly pork but when my husbands arrived it was half the size & 3 others who had the pork after us had half his portion again, obviously running out?? No pizzas available although they make up a fair bit of the menu. Very small portions, expensive run of the mill wines. The chocolate fondant pudding had no fondant, left feeling hungry. Bar service appalling, restaurant service adequate. Won't be returning in a hurry, far superior service, food & value at the cross keys up the road! Perhaps the barman could refrain from wearing his sunglasses upside down on his head during the evening!

2  Thank Cathy C
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great pub family went for dinner there were 9 of us including 3 children. Children portions were available for all menu. Service & staff great.