“A cheap price but unsanitary bathroom and worse”

New Victorian Inn & Suites York
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in York
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“A cheap price but unsanitary bathroom and worse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The price for a double queen room was quite reasonable and the location was conveniently near I-80. But there were three negatives. First, the shower head was moldy and dirty. I'm not sure I was cleaner before or after my shower. Second, one had to be careful with the loose toilet seat or one might find himself/herself seated on the floor. I showed the room clerk photos I took of the moldy shower head and she apologized and reduced my bill by ten dollars. And third, I don't know if they were bed bugs or something else, but I picked three black, blood-sucking bugs from my shoulder and neck shortly after getting underway from York up this morning. The bugs were tiny, the size of a poppy seed. It looked like bug feces on the neck of my clean T-shirt. I didn't take them into the New Victorian Inn and Suite with me, but I took some of them out with me and now I have to wash and dry everything to try to prevent the spread of the bugs.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We apologize for the experience you said you had at our hotel in York – we certainly don’t want any of our guests to have an unpleasant stay. After you told our desk staff about the shower and the slightly loose toilet lid – we immediately had them fixed and checked all other rooms as well. You didn’t mention anything about the possible insects so we didn’t get a chance to tell you that we do take great care to inspect and we do regular preventive treatment of our hotel.. We did immediately inspect all rooms after reading your review and found no evidence of any insects in any of our rooms. We do appreciate your opinion and agree with you that we are convenient and offer a very reasonable price.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I made my reservation over the telephone the day before my arrival. I had friendly service both on the phone and in person when I arrived at the hotel that night. My room was clean and a nice cool temperature. I appreciate pet-friendly hotels that don't put you in a below average room just because you're traveling with a pet. Although the hallways smelled of smoke my room did not. I would stay here and again when driving through.

Room Tip: Avoid pool area if you want to go to sleep before 11pm
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel - we appreciate the feedback! We work hard to provide a great value to our guests while offering the amenities of the national chains. It is important to us to make sure each guest is greeted with a friendly face and enjoys their stay with us. We are pet friendly and understand that many people travel with their animal companions and appreciate a clean, quality room for a great price. We hope to see you again in your travels1
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

smoke in hallway from smoking rooms
biscuits and gravy was good
confusing cost differential between online and actual. I guess "from" means if you book there, the price will be higher?
Stay on other end of vacation had no problem with booking costs-longer lead time?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to review us online - we appreciate it! We apologize if there was any confusion on the rate for your room - if you ever have any questions when you are staying with us, please feel free to call the desk staff anytime. We always want our guests to have a positive experience with us and feel they got a great value for their money. We are glad you enjoyed the biscuits and gravy at our 5am to 11am breakfast - hope it started your day off well!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We pulled into this hotel from the road and had a great experience. Staff was friendly & helpful, rooms were clean and beds were SO comfortable. Rate was just right. Breakfast time was great....it lasted all morning so no matter when you got up, you were able to enjoy breakfast before heading out for the day. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review of the New Victorian Inn & Suites in York! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We take pride in providing a great experience for our guests with friendly service, very clean rooms and comfy beds -all for an excellent rate. We hope to see you again if you are passing through!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

York is a travel stop along the I80, a dozen or so hotels of various qualities, fast food, gas, Walmart and all the amenities in between. Very convenient off the highway.

I was pleased with our selection. Mid price range, clean well appointed room, comfortable beds, the room included a large tv, fridge micro, table/desk with 2 chairs, enough room but not spacious.
The motel breakfast started at 5am a nice feature, but I slept in till 6.
I recommend it and would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
NVIManagement, Director of Sales at New Victorian Inn & Suites York, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your review of the New Victorian Inn & Suites in York. We do enjoy providing a great value for your money and a good night's sleep for all of our guests! Our breakfast from 5am to 11am is always very popular as it is a good start for both the early risers and the late sleepers! Our wonderful clean rooms all feature fridges, microwaves and 42" TV's -which adds to the value for your dollar! Thanks so much and we hope to see you again!
Pearland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at this place for 3 weeks. The rooms were clean, the staff very helpful. The manager was working everyday to improve the place. Not that it needed it. But I would 100 % stay there again. Caitlyn at the front desk was very helpful and knowledgeable. I had 2 rooms as we were there doing insurance work. Randy

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you staying with us during your work here and we are so happy you enjoyed your accommodations! We take great pride in providing a clean, comfortable and friendly atmosphere for all our guests! We hope you will stay with us again when you are in the area!
FAIRFIELD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We pick our destinations by the distance we want to drive that day, and we pick our hotels by thorough reading of TripAcvisor reviews. The New Victorian (apparently it used to be a Quality Inn) provided us with a comfortable bed, lots of pillows, a large walk-in shower, a big screen TV with excellent HD reception, and the most generous breakfast hours ever (5:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.)! The place isn't fancy, and the lobby and breakfast rooms aren't large, but the friendly staff and added touches like 24 hour coffee and cookies (not fresh baked, but lots of variety) make you feel right at home. One real bonus was the towels -- they are considerably wider (but not longer!) than most motel towels, and they seem new and very absorbent. Also, there were five pillows on the king size bed AND an extra pillow on the closet shelf -- that was a nice bonus. Our non-smoking room was relatively smoke free, but I think there must be years of smoke residue from past times that never completely go away -- however, nothing overwhelming or cough-producing. The white noise of the air-conditioning drowned out any highway or hotel noise, and we had a good night's sleep. The breakfast is not fancy, but more than adequate. Besides the biscuits and sausage gravy (not on our diet!), there were hard-boiled eggs, bagels, English muffins, waffles and bread to toast, pastries, cereal, juice, jams, peanut butter, cream cheese, fruit yogurt, fresh bananas, apples, and oranges -- and very good coffee.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so ask for first floor if you have much luggage.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time to review our New Victorian Inn & Suites hotel in York! We are so glad you found our hotel to be a comfortable and pleasant experience and you got a great night's sleep! We appreciate your kind words and hope you will come see us again!