“Drive on!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Very average. No ameneties. Internet was bad. Rooms are old and musty

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We recently stayed at this motel for two nights while visiting Death Valley. At first glance, we were thrilled with the room. It was very large, had a pillowtop mattress, arm chair, ottoman, nice furniture, microwave, fridge, coffee maker. The room was fairly quiet at night with only the occasional sound from a passing truck. There is no breakfast provided at this motel, but none of the other motels in town provide breakfast either. There were only a few small things that kept this motel from getting an even better rating - and they would be SO easy for the motel to do. First, they need to provide shampoo and hand cream. It has been a very long time since I have stayed at a place that did not even provide shampoo!! The hand cream would have come in handy since the air is so dry in that area. But the shampoo is a must for a motel. Also, like a previous reviewer reported, they took the old plastic cups but did not give us any new ones. Also, the taps in the sink and in the bathtub (in separate rooms) were reversed. In order to get cold water, you had to turn on the hot water tap, and vice versa. That is just plain sloppy maintenance! They also did not give us an extra roll of toilet paper even though the one in the dispenser was not a new one. These few criticisms did not change our opinion of this motel, but the management should read people's reviews and do their best to keep on top of things so that their rating does not slip. Since we booked last fall, I have noted that their rating has slipped, no doubt due to these easily fixed things.
The motel was a good price and we would definitely stay there again if we were in the area and the price was competitive. We did not use the outdoor pool as it was too cold for swimming, but we made good use of the hot tub.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room is you have a lot of luggage as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BJPToronto_Canada
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We spent two nights at the Death Valley Inn on a group trip with friends to Death Valley. I suppose I might be a bit fussy about accommodations, especially when it comes to cleanliness and atmosphere, but even setting that personal preference for a clean, charming room aside, the room we had at the Inn was in desperate need of updating - the carpet, the bed linens, the towels, the bathroom fixtures - all were shabby and time-worn. The room was very small and appeared to be clean, if clean means free from obvious dirt. But it didn't "feel" clean because it was so very, very dingy and drab, and therefore it was impossible to enjoy any time in the room. Old can be charming, but in this case, it was just old. The bed itself was comfortable enough, but the bedspread and blanket left a lot to be desired, so it was difficult to really relax and get a good night's sleep. There was no hairdryer in the room, but you could get one with a $10 deposit. There weren't any bathroom amenities such as shampoo - there was one tiny bar of soap in the shower. There were only two, thread-bare towels. What is good about this motel is its location, which is about 30 minutes from Death Valley. Also, it is pet friendly. There was free wi-fi that worked well. We didn't use it, but the pool area looked nice. Mel's Diner across the street was good for breakfast. Yolanda at the front desk was very nice and check-in was efficient. The Sourdough Saloon down the street was fun on a Friday night, but they allow smoking in the bar area, even though they serve food there (and the special steak dinner was pretty good). There is a public park behind the motel which is good for dog walking, or kids if you have them!

In summary, I couldn't wait to check out and would not stay here again or recommend it to my friends. I don't know what the other places are like in Beatty, but the next time we go to Death Valley, I will stay at the Death Valley Ranch - that looked really nice! (but they don't allow pets).

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank angelika711

Travellers are raving about these Beatty hotels

Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

The good thing is the location of the town of Beatty, which is near Death Valley National Park. The town itself is kinda cool.

They seemed cheap with towels and disposable cups. We initially had only two towels for two adults and one teenager. I suggested that a two queen room would have more than two towels and two coffee cups and got a blank stare at the front desk. When the room was cleaned (we stayed three nights) they only put back two new cups, even tho we'd used four or five. I know, it's only a disposable coffee cup, but still.

The walls in the room are beat up and marked. Even though this motel seems new-ish it seems like the room could use a coat of paint and some repair. The floor creaked and groaned whenever we walked on it and was very loud at night. Also the noise from people walking around in the upper floor room seemed excessive.

The trash cans off the parking lot were full and overflowing for two of the three nights we were there.

The day we left it rained and a huge deep puddle appeared right outside our room. It took a huge step to avoid stepping in 1+ inches of water.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101, which is in front. It's noisy. Get a room on the second floor if you can.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
newton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Terrific value. Rooms have fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Also free wifi.

• Stayed April 2012
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Death Valley. Rooms have great bed, tv, coffee pot, small frig and microwave. Also a pool on premises and laundromat next door at RV park. The noise was not an issue for us as stated in one review. Across street from great breakfast place Mel's Diner. This motel is clean, a Great value and half the price of staying in Death Valley National park. Beatty is friendly town with cheap gas and good food at reasonable prices.

Stayed April 2012
Napa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed two nights at the Death Valley Inn while visiting Death Valley National Park. It is located approximately 30 miles northeast of the park in Beatty NV. The drive between the two were easy and without much traffic. I am actually grateful for this little town and it's inexpensive prices for food, gas, and lodging. The town was easy to find your away around. I definitely always drove the speed limit since I heard about tickets being given out on a regular basis.

As for the hotel. Check-in was a little slow but that was fine. It was just a busy time where everyone else was checking in at the end of the day. I asked for a first floor room since I had a lot of bags that I did not want to drag up stairs. There are no elevators. Parking was plentiful and I got spots in front of my room both days.

The room had a coffee maker and refrigerator which I always look for when out on road trips. It was a basic room but most importantly it appeared clean. The bed was not the most comfortable. I did not even try the internet since I read other reviews about it being slow. I also had to plug in my computer at the outlet by the chair and ottoman since I could not find an outlet by the desk. The room had an old television with about 20 or so channels. Housekeeping sprayed some sort of air freshener in the room which I personally did not care for but after leaving the door open for about an hour, it was gone. There was an ice-maker at the corner end of the hotel.

My only complaint is that I could hear every step of the people upstairs and it was loud. Fortunately, it was not all night, just for a few hours when people were relaxing from their outings. I also got up very early so missed it in the morning. If you are a light sleeper this may bother your and I would recommend just asking for a second floor room.

There were restaurants within walking distance and a gas station/convenience store around the corner. There is even a casino at the other end of town and a nut place that I drove by but did not go into. Overall, it was good stay. The price was right, the staff were nice, and it met my basic needs.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are probably quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo