“NICE GETAWAY”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Carson City
South Lake Tahoe, California
“NICE GETAWAY”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed one night, mainly wanted to use the indoor pool. Got an early check in and front desk clerk even tried to upgrade us to a suite (very nice thought). The pool and hot tub were very nice, with the temperature perfect. The room on the top floor (3rd) was immaculate, very clean with new towels, microwave and fridge. Although close to the freeway, there wasn't any noise.

Everything was fine until it came time for the afternoon (5pm) cookies. The front desk girl could only bake six at a time; brought them out hot as hell and then they gobbled up by the young vultures waiting. Was able to snag one with the second batch and burnt my lip on a hot chocolate chip. Oh well, we were on our way to dinner.

Only other problem was exiting the hotel. The location is the North end of town and only a right turn out of the parking lot; you must go to the signal and make a U-turn (legal?) to return to town.

The morning breakfast was sufficient with a decent variety. Enough to last the day, at least till we returned home.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Fernley, Nevada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The property was adequate for our needs, a one night stay. The king size bed was great for watching tv and reading, not so much for sleeping.

For reasons I can't explain we both woke up with various aches and pain. I suspect due to a new over firm bed. (might say something about over 60's physique, or perhaps lack of one?)

The room was very clean and nicely appointed. The shower refreshing.

I didn't go to the free breakfast but my husband did and was not impressed. He settled for cereal and milk. He even passed on the orange juice which he suspected was watered down.

For someone who gravitates to a very firm bed and a short stay this would be a great choice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carson City, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Chris S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are very happy that you noticed the cleanliness of the rooms. On the other hand, I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the mattress. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. Next time you decide to visit your friends and family in our area again, I hope you will choose to stay with us again. Thank you for your business!

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
PAINESVILLE
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is quite nice. The location is on the main drag of the city but not walking distance to any attraction. However, it is quite and the room is clean. I was greeted very well by the front desk. Internet is free and fast. Good, clean and quite hotel. Across from the hotel is a nice scenery too.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Despite being the state capital, there are no proper hotels in this town, certainly nothing above 3 stars. This property was booked for me by a company I was visiting and, as it was only 1 night, I managed. It was clean, secure and well located. Utilitarian. The downside was there was quite a bit of noise from the adjacent rooms but management adjusted my bill after I complained so it evened itself out. Next time I will just stay in Tahoe but if you are looking for basic accomodation, I imagine this is as good as it gets in Carson City.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Drewmc50
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carson City, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear MonkeyGreen,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I sincerely regret that this stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the noise levels experienced. Despite this, I am pleased that you found our property to be well located and secure. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I'm a big fan of this property which I've stayed at successive times for work in the area. The staff is friendly, warm in greeting and helpful in times of need. I'm always pleased with the room I'm assigned (it varies) and the recognition I receive at arrival. I'm confident I'm getting a fair price - even hazard a best price bet - which is clearly shown when I check in. Membership in IHG Rewards has me banking points, even at the great rate.

Value: Significant. Large rooms, great amenities, breakfast included.
Comfort: I appreciate the comfort of the beds AND the work surfaces. Two types of pillows (soft and firm) is a bonus. The lobby is always welcoming. And the WiFi speed is fantastic.
Overall: Excellent.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great natural light from their windows.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Winnemucca, Nevada
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We went to Carson on a family trip and we always stay at this hotel. This place is easy to get to and it's the cleanest in Carson. My family and I love this place cause of the pool and spa. My kids really like the breakfast. And the most important thing is that every time we stay here the rooms are always so nice and clean. I think the beds are so comfy. This hotel is also very quiet. Next time you're in Carson stay here.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Chica077
Jesse S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carson City, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thanks for writing a wonderful review. Our team really appreciate that you choose our hotel for your stay in Carson City. Its glad to know that your whole family enjoyed the Pool and liked the Breakfast. We look forward to welcome you again when you visit this area in future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We travel frequently, and I am usually a fan of the Holiday Inn Company. The problem started at check-in on 1-8-14. She took forever to look up a price, and said we got the best rate. NOT. We have always experienced the best prices as a walk-in, as opposed to reservation, and knew instantly her "best" price of $129.99 for one bed (for mid-week) was a bit too high. After even more wasting of our time, (during which I was prepared to walk out - because of this protracted research) she, finally came up with $119.99. Ok. So, at least we are not making a house payment for one night. At check-in, I noticed the good, the bad, and the ugly. Good would be; the very clean pool and spa, with water at adequate temperatures. The hot breakfast with a great attendant. Bad would be; the empty cups and dirty towels everywhere in sight in the pool area,... the entire visit,... as well as the garbage on our private bathroom floor, including the prior guest's q-tip, used, and behind the bathroom door. Ugly; that would be the customer service provided by this establishment. She did not address our concerns, nor apologize,... or even send someone up to check it out, so we had to see that lack of attention and cleanliness until the maid came the next day. In addition, after further inspection, I noticed crumbs on top of the bed, and lipstick on the top sheet. Front desk proclaimed she had watched maids in the past, and they did a stellar job. Not this time, but (again), no apology, which did not surprise me. We were going to get another hotel, but first asked what another day would cost, and this time, it went down to $109.99,.... but first, I requested a complete linen change, which did occur, as well as the floor cleaned properly. But, I really expected that in the first place. Since returning home this week, I have been receiving computer ads for this hotel room at $89.99, which adds further insult to injury. No, Holiday Inn Express Carson City, you did not "make things right" with us, as you brag in your in-room literature. Your check-in haggling is embarrassing, your "best price" was not close, and arguing with your guests is poor business practice. We are telling everyone else, since you didn't seem to care too much when we told you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business