“Nice, clean place with a couple of great amenities”

Border House at Crystal Bay
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a brief anniversary get away. We never plan to spend much time in our hotel room, but what time we did spend was enjoyable. The bed is conformable, while the pillows leave something to be desired. The jet tub and shower were delightful with an abidance of hot water. Some odd things are the lack of any natural light in the bathroom, and the location of the check in desk which was semi-difficult to find. The decor is somewhat casino-tastic but we didn't find it bothersome. The flat screen TVs in the bathroom and bedroom are nice. I enjoyed a relax in the tub while watching a movie something not afforded a mother of small kids very often. I see another reviewer spoke of road noise, this was not a problem from us and we stayed on a Friday and Saturday night.

We would definitely stay here again. Be warned though, there are no lake views at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julie P
There are newer reviews for Border House at Crystal Bay

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We chose to stay at the Border House based on the Trip Advisor reviews, and we were somewhat disappointed with our experience.

Pros--Large room with fireplace, whirlpool, and lots of luxuries. Bed very comfortable. Nice large screen TV. The building was smoke-free.

Cons--It was a bit difficult to find the area in the casino for check-in, and once we found it, we had to wait quite a while for someone to assist us. That individual and the individual who checked us out were not at all friendly. We did not feel welcome and we felt we were actually an intrusion.
Our room was right next to a busy street, and we were really bothered by the street noise. The room, although large, was not comfortable. The only chair to sit in was a desk chair. There was no lounging chair. The room was amazingly dark and drab. We found it odd that there was no door between the bedroom and the bathroom(only a curtain) . The toilet was separated from the rest of the bathroom, but again, no door.

It appears that other Trip Advisor members gave positive reviews, but we would not return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank stuawa
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed here again, this time room #2. Like the other one, its got plenty of space, a giant flat screen, disco tub with nice shower and nice touch of small 'extras' like a fridge with waters (free), coffee w/maker, and bath robes. This was on the first floor, but don't hear any street noise. If you enjoy walking around a hotel room 'comfortable', you might need to keep all the shades closed though. Next time I'll have to remember to ask for a second floor for myself as I wouldn't want to create a Reno 911 situation where I'm chased into the California side of the border, which happens to be a few seconds away.

My only complaint was my toothbrush and other hygiene stuff shelved - I prefer to just leave things sprawled out everywhere. They don't seem to restock the candies or the q-tips but life isn't so horrible when you bring your own I suppose...but shelving the used q-tips...well...things like that remind you that you're in Nevada :-)

All in all, a 5 out of 5. It's nice to get that "southern hospitality" in a Hotel room, even when you're a darker shade of brew than the average beer ;-)

Room Tip: CHECK IN is in the Casino building, at the players club booth. I think the top floor has a large ro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I am a business traveler, coming to the area to work at the local hospital in Incline Village. I stay in hotels all over the country, every week, mainly those associated with the large chain varieties (Holiday Inn, Hilton, Marriott). Not having a familiar chain in the company price range (Hyatt way over priced) I read the Trip Advisor reviews and settled on the Border House (about half the price of the Hyatt). What a pleasant surprise! This property far and away beats any hotel room of recent memory by a landslide. The locals tell me it used to be a restaurant/brewery which was purchased by the Crystal Bay Casino and renovated into a luxury hotel. The building sits on the corner, detached from the casino. It is peaceful and quiet. There are 3 stories and 10 rooms, all different. I stayed in Suite #1 on the first floor, which I believe may be one of the smaller rooms. Rooms are appointed with fireplaces, luxurious linens on the beds, flat panel TV mounted on the wall (Direct TV), wireless Internet, spacious bathrooms (plush bathrobes supplied) with large shower/tub, fridge stocked with 4 bottles of complimentary water, Keurig coffee maker, treat basket with 4-5 selections of snacks, upscale bath toiletries, even a TV in the bathroom.....and the list goes on. This place rivals most 5 star resorts accommodations.

Check-in is a bit confusing. There is no staff at the actual Border House building. You must go to the Players Club booth at the Crystal Bay Casino. They are very helpful and pleasant. I also found the steak house in the casino of very good quality and value. They have a happy hour/early bird menu (5:30-7:30) with excellent selections, nice wine list and attentive service.

STAY HERE, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

Room Tip: Look at their website for pictures of the actual rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AZSoonerOrLater
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here over St Patrick Day weekend. The location is ideal since we are driving from Reno airport- just about an hour. Skiing is nearby, maybe 30 -40 minutes or you can catch a bus in front of the hotel. They have done a wonderful job reviving this old boarding house. The rooms are designed for relaxation and amenities are top of the line. The people are friendly and helpful. We don't gamble but the restaurant in the casino was pretty good. We stayed in room #6 which is the only room with a balcony so if you can request it. Will definitely stay here again. Also they often have live music in the casino, especially during ski season.

Room Tip: Room 6 has a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank gaiatourist
Reviewed 25 December 2011

This is a small place that offers lodging, but its mostly lodging for the casino (Crystal Bay Casino). It is STILL a 5 star review from me, because I get free room offers from others in the Tahoe and Reno area and I'd rather pay to stay here.

Our room was large. My email confirmation said 455 square feet but it seemed much larger than what I remember my Wynn/Vegas room being, which I'm sure is/was larger. Maybe its the layout. We had a fireplace near the bed and a giant plasma tv. There's also a smaller tv near the chromotherapy tub, which would be great after a few drinks, some music, and the right company.

Our patio had a lake view. The sheets and bathrobe were of quality as everything else seemed to be. The bed was super-comfortable as was the tub and shower, and even the patio!
In our room, we had complimentary:
coffee/tea
wifi
snacks

Everything was clean. The place is old but rebuilt recently, and they did a very good job of it. Without the historic pictures in one of the hallways, you might never even know its older than 5-10 years.

We stayed in suite 6 but I'm sure all of them are as luxurious as their website claimed. It was a pleasant surprise, especially since much of Lake Tahoe can be a gamble if you haven't had it recommended by someone you know.

It's not a large, conglomerate owned hotel. It's small, and certainly has that small, proprietorship style charm to it. This place will not disappoint.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DarkHeineken
Reviewed 14 September 2011

While the North Shore Casinos have seen better days, this newly remodeled spot is an example of what could be. It's small -- about 10 rooms in all -- but our room was quiet and meticulously appointed with nice linens, a huge big-screen TV (plus a small one in the bathroom) and an amazing tub. Two things that would make this room close to perfect: a door for the toilet area in the bathroom (a strange oversight) and a more reliable satellite TV system (the channels came and went during our stay). Check in at Crystal Bay Casino's Player's Club (the staff there was extremely helpful, and will walk you to your room).

Room Tip: We were in room No. 9, and it's a great one.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bobby H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crystal Bay
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge
#3 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Parkside Inn at Incline
Parkside Inn at Incline
#4 of 5 in Incline Village

Been to Border House at Crystal Bay? Share your experiences!