“Sinatra, Monroe, Kennedy and more” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cal-Neva Resort Spa & Casino - CLOSED

Cal-Neva Resort Spa & Casino
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“Sinatra, Monroe, Kennedy and more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We took the tunnel tour with a group of 20. Hans is a highly knowledgable guide who adapts his tours to match the interests of his guests. He talked about Frank Sinatra's legacy running the resort. He talked about Frank's affiliations with the mafia, Marilyn Monroe, the Kennedy's and more. The tour includes back passages and secret passages beneath the resort. There are several stairways that may be challenging. If you love rat pack history and intrigue you will find it worth it. Do your fellow travelers a favor and leave the kids in the arcade.

Visited July 2013

San Francisco, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Casino?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My only comment, having passed through briefly yesterday, is that it is NO LONGER A CASINO, despite the sign out front. NO gaming here anymore. The Biltmore across the street still has some. It isn't much, but then again north Tahoe gaming has been dying for decades.

Visited July 2013
Stockton, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“It is what it is”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here last February for a weekend skiing trip to Tahoe. Usually "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate (Motel 6, Days Inn, etc). In this situation it is not true. This place is advertised as a resort but it is very far from it. The only benefit to this place is the location.

I have never seen a hotel so ran down it was amazing, Imagine a hotel that never received any renovations or upgrades for years. Mattress was terrible, the rooms smelled, wallpaper coming off the walls, stains in the carpet. I can go on and on.

The only reason I give this place a two is because the GM was nice and I felt bad for him.

Do not stay here, honestly this place should be shut down.

Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“TEAR IT DOWN!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Somewhere Frank Sinatra is spinning in his grave. Today, the "Rat Pack" would be right at home at this place. We met a couple who were here 50 years ago. "Oh my God!" she said. "This place hasn't changed a bit! "Expect for a few hundred cans of paint and wood rot!" her husband replied. They were laughing and shaking their heads.

It might have been the place to "be and be seen" 50 years ago but today no self-respecting "lady of the evening", ganster or politician would be caught dead there.

Still, it was worth 20 minutes of our time (while driving around the lake) to walk in and around for a rest stop. The high point of the visit were the restrooms. They're gigantic!

Nowadays, Frankie would need more than a little "Witchcraft" and "Luck Be A Lady" to stay here. If it were up to me, I'd do it "My Way" and...TEAR IT DOWN and plant some trees!!

Visited June 2013
Incline Village, Nevada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good value for the special price.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband & I spent 1 night at CalNeva, Crystal Bay on a Travelzoo special. It was a really good deal, too good to pass up and we're moving up to Lk Tahoe anyway, we just needed a place to sleep. The room was clean & comfortable but the furniture a bit antiquated, definitely from the 50's style. The hallway to the bedrooms has this weird mirror tiled ceiling and white walls, very old fashioned. It's a quiet hotel as the casino is not open, but we had fun sitting at the bar for happy hour playing the machines at the bar and the breakfast was very good,a bargain with the $20 voucher we received with the Travelzoo special. This hotel has definitely seen better days, the canvas awning outside is torn and worn out, can't the management at least take some pride in this dear, old hotel and give it a face lift, at least put a new canvas awning on the entrance?

I'm sure this hotel was a fun place to hang out in the 50's, but it needs the life brought back to it. Hopefully new management can take it over and do something wonderful with it. It's no wonder Travelzoo was running a special for them, they need to drum up more business. Overall, a good visit, great location and friendly staff. If we have the opportunity to stay here again for any reason, we probably will.

Visited May 2013