“STINKY & DIRTY IN CORRIDORS & CASINO”

Red Lion Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Elko
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I want to be fair and say that the inside corridors of the hotel and the actual casino area smelled like smoke and the first floor smells like dog/cat. We later found out that they use the first floor for guests that have pets. I specifically asked them for a quiet room because I have a problem sleeping and they put us on the first floor. As soon as we walked into the building, a dog started barking so we had to go back and went to the second floor which was much, much better. Do NOT stay on the first floor unless you have a pet. The room also smelled on the 1st floor. The second floor room was actually quite clean and very comfortable with a fairly large room, microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was a nice size too. They also had a workout room. There aren't that many places to stay in Elko, but I would try to find another place to stay. If you want a Basque dinner experience, go to the Star Hotel in town. It was wonderful. Lots and lots of food served family style but get there early. They are also closed on Sundays.

Room Tip: Do not stay on first floor of the hotel. that's where they have guests stay that have pets. Sm...
Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

I do understand your comments about the smell of smoke in and around our hotel/casino. We are doing our best to resolve this problem, because we can certainly appreciate the concerns of our non-smoking guests. In addition, we do have many guests who travel with pets and are very happy to find that we accept pets in our first floor rooms. I am pleased to read you did receive an alternative room which was satisfactory to you. We value your patronage and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

As a former resident of Elko I was aware of the positives and negatives of the Red Lion. Our reservation was made over the phone and the gentleman I spoke to could not have been nicer or more professional. My company has a negotiated rate with this hotel and we were pleasantly surprised by the nice discount! We reserved a non-smoking room on the third floor. Our room was clean and nice and we really enjoyed the balcony! The easy chair and footstool could stand replacing, they were rather shabby. However, it's not often that you'll find a room at a casino with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker! We really appreciate that! The long walk from the elevators and the hallway carpeting were negatives, as were the maids talking loudy right outside our door in the morning.

Room Tip: South facing rooms warm up quickly in the morning, but have a nice view of the Ruby Mtns. No traffic...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear McFarland Clan:

I’m so pleased to read that your reservation process went smoothly for you and that you enjoyed your room. I will be sure to check on the chair and footstool and most definitely will speak with our housekeeping supervisor concerning the maids. In addition, I want you to know we have ordered new hallway carpet and wallpaper, as we are continuously pursuing appropriate upgrades for our property. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again should your travels return you this way!

David Zornes, General Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Very average hotel and casino but it's probably the best Elko has to offer. The room was an adequate size but not very clean. The curtains were off the track, The carpet was slightly dingy in the traffic areas. There was one easy chair. It's a very long walk to the Ice machines and casino so bring your walking shoes. The elevators aren't real clean and you see greasy fingerprints all over. The whole hotel has a certain old smell to it. It's probably from the cigarette smoke.There was a lot of guests that appeared to be single men who worked construction pulling up in huge work trucks and carrying in an overnite bag. Elko is not close to anything so I assume they are skilled labor who stay during the week because they can't drive home. That explained why the carpets looked dingy and partly explained why the finger prints from dirty hands were everywhere. The bed was moderately comfortable. The casino itself looks dingy and the bars at the casino gave an impression of being dirty. The staff was courteous. If I HAD to stay in Elko again I'd probably stay there just because it did look like it was the nicest hotel there but as far as return visits, Elko is OFF thte list!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near an entry door, elevator and take the entrance closest to the casino. It's sp...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Kris:

I am sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied during your stay with us. We have ordered new hallway/stairwell carpet and are anxiously awaiting its arrival and installation. I have reported your specific concerns to our housekeeping/maintenance departments. I do appreciate your advising your concerns as it is through such comments that we can only improve upon our customer service and product. We are very proud of our company and staff and feel we work hard to create a memorable guest experience. We are always sorry to read when that experience has not been the best. Thanks again for your patronage!

David Zornes, General Manager

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I reserved a room by phone. But when we checked in, the desk clerk told me that my reservation had been cancelled "by the person who made it." After a few iterations of me asking for more information and the clerk saying he could not help, he went in the back and returned saying he had found a room for me. It matched the parameters of the original reservation. I was left wondering whether there actually was a problem with the reservation or the clerk was trying to squeeze out a tip, or both.

The room itself was adequate, though overpriced; the quality and ambiance were what I'd expect from a Comfort Inn or Holiday Express at $60-80 per night, rather than the $115 I was quoted and charged.

The attached casino seemed undermanaged and understaffed. My repeated calls before the visiit were unable to reach any casino host or players' club representative, or anyone else who could tell me about complimentaries. After I arrived, I was told the only person who could answer my questions was away that day. I nevertheless gave some action, a bit over $6000 of slot coin-in, that evening, losing $500, and talked to the players club clerk the next day, who said they couldn't do anything toward my room this trip, but if I played 4 times as much as I already had, I might get a discounted room rate on my next trip. In over 25 years of staying and playing at casino-hotels, this is the first time I've ever paid full price for my room..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew S
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Andrew:

I have read your review and appreciate the comments you expressed. I am unsure why there was a problem with your reservation, but I will definitely discuss the circumstances with our front desk manager. With respect to your concerns about our casino policies/practices, I would be happy to discuss them with you personally. You can reach me most days here at the Red Lion Hotel & Casino by e-mail (DRZ77@PlayElko.com) or by telephone (775-753-0433). Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

I was in a non-smoking hotel room and the entire hotel smelled like cigarette smoke. At one point I thought the smell was coming from the AC vent. Also, the hotel claims that its renovated. If you consider changing the hotel bed headboard, changing the furniture, and changing out the sinks a renovation, then this is the hotel for you. I was miserable the entire stay and will never in life stay here again. When I left and returned home, everything in my suitcase has had that terrible hotel odor. Different strokes for different folks, but this hotel was definitely not up to my standard. I would suggest staying at Townplace by Marriott down the street.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank k4028
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your stay with us. Our hotel is connected to a smoking casino and, unfortunately, many of our guests are smokers. We do appreciate our non-smoking guests as well and continuously strive to make our non-smoking guest rooms comfortable. I apologize this was not the case for you. It is our hope you will reconsider your decision and give us another try the next time you are in the Elko area.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Very nice, remodeled- clean, pleasant. Staff very nice and helpful. Will stay here again. Nice choice of restaurants? Room was large, airy, well appointed. Next to the highway but did not notice the noise. Also room had an unexpected refrigerator. Nice to come off the road after a lengthy drive and be able to chill the beer.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Stayed: July 2012
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us at the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino. It is always nice to read that our guests have enjoyed a memorable experience. Hopefully, we’ll see you again should your travels return you to the Elko area.

Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

We were returning from Yellowstone to San Jose, CA and, based on tripadvisor reviews, chose the Red Lion for a one night layover to help break up the long driving.

We booked 2 rooms, non-smoking. Here's my review:

Pros:

1) It's right off the freeway which is very convenient.

2) The rooms are large. One of my kids prefers to sleep alone and there was enough floor space for an inflatable queen size mattress.

3) The beds are relatively comfy.

4) There are two restaurants in the casino. Nice not to have to get back into the car to look for food.

5) Free WiFi

Cons:

1) They may say smoke free but it is anything but. The hotel REEKED of cigarette smell, even the non-smoking rooms.

2) Expect long waits to be seated and even longer to first order then receive your food. We ended up going to The Aspen because they could seat us faster then the cafe (we waited 1/2 hour for the cafe to even acknowledge us, but there were other large parties ahead of us). We went in at 7:30 and our food didn't come until 9:00. The staff was friendly but never apologized for the delay and many were just hanging around, talking. We

3) Room location: One of our rooms was on the third floor far away from the casino and the other was only a few feet away from the Casino and Bar. If you stay here, ask for a room farther away from the casino. We had a group of parties in the room next to us who were very drunk and very noisy.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. We stayed at the Comfort Inn down the street on our way to Yellowstone and it was less expensive, much quieter and didn't smell like an ash tray. It was a bit more dated in terms of the furniture but the beds were every bit as comfy as the Red Lion.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank silimom
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for sharing the “pros” and “cons” of your recent visit to the Elko Red Lion Hotel & Casino. Because our casino allows smoking, the smoke sometimes extends to the hotel section, especially if guests continue to smoke while walking to/from their rooms. We are continuously trying to resolve this concern because we do appreciate our non-smoking guests, but we are not always successful in achieving this goal. I personally want to apologize that you had to wait so long to be acknowledged at our Coffee Garden Restaurant, and I will be speaking with our Food Director so that he can determine why this would have occurred.

Again, I appreciate your comments and thank you for your patronage.