“Good stay, decent hotel and casino” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Lion Hotel & Casino

and 1 more site!
Red Lion Hotel & Casino
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Elko
“Good stay, decent hotel and casino”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I found the Red Lion to be a decent hotel. In a major city with big choices it probably wouldn't receive four stars, but here it is a good choice.

I can't disagree with the other reviews. There is a strong smell of smoke in the hallways but my room was ok. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and pillows of good quality. The room photos on the Trip Advisor page are a bit more upscale and modern than the room I stayed in.

The casino was a good size for a small town. It had a variety of games and a lively feel.

Taking the hotel as a casino in Elko, Nevada and for the price I paid to stay at a chain hotel, I was satisfied.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
I am pleased you were satisfied with your stay and that your room was comfortable for you. We are installing new carpet and wallpaper in our hotel hallways, which we are hoping will help with the smoky smell. It's also nice to read that you enjoyed our casino. We hope to see you again. David Zornes, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had reserved a king suite room for our stay. When we arrived our check in was seemingly flawless, but when we got to our assigned room we discovered we had been given a room with two queen beds. There was no mention of changing our room type at check in. Fortunately there was still a king room available, but it was on a high floor (we prefer 1st floor because we travel with our dogs) and it was much more dated than the first. I was very disappointed to learn that the room type you reserve isn't necessarily the room type you will be given when you arrive.

Other than the room assignment error, the hotel room was very quiet and the bed was comfortable, which is extremely important. The room was also very spacious. I would give this hotel a much higher rating if you could count on receiving your reserved room type. Since I can only get a restful night's sleep in a king bed, not being guaranteed the room I reserved is a major detriment to this hotel. I will only consider, with great caution, staying at this hotel again because of this issue.

Room Tip: Verify your reservation before arriving if room type is important to you.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Lockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Good hotels in the Elko area can be somewhat expensive, so I booked a room at this location via Hotwire. I have stayed at this hotel in the past and already had an idea of what to expect.

What I like about this hotel is its convenient location to the freeway and downtown Elko. The rooms were renovated a couple of years ago, and there are a few amenities (24 hour on-site restaurant, Starbucks coffee, gift shop, beauty salon, fitness room, pool, and casino) that are not available at some of the other properties in town.

When I arrived, the front parking lot was a madhouse, as there was a car show in town. The back parking lot was much quieter, however. The front desk clerk was courteous and friendly. He advised me that I had been reserved for a smoking room, but at my request he got that changed to a non-smoking room.

On the downside: In spite of being a non-smoking room, my room smelled somewhat smoky. I was unable to open the door to the deck to get fresh air. Room temperature was also an issue, as it was either too cold or too warm, and the temperature control was hard to decypher.

On the plus side: The bed was comfy, everything worked, there was in-room coffee, and it was quiet.

I ate breakfast in the 24-hour restaurant. It wasn't what I would consider inexpensive ($8.00+ for a standard bacon/eggs breakfast), but it was good.

Just for fun, I obtained a Players Club card and played a few slots. I lost the $5.00 free credit and $20.00 of my own money within about a half hour. I was hoping to earn enough points to get a free t-shirt, to no avail.

In summary, this is an OK place to stay in Elko, but I wouldn't pay top dollar. If they had managed to keep the smoky odor out of my room, I might have a different opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the property are more likely to be quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Orange Park, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I want to be fair and say that the inside corridors of the hotel and the actual casino area smelled like smoke and the first floor smells like dog/cat. We later found out that they use the first floor for guests that have pets. I specifically asked them for a quiet room because I have a problem sleeping and they put us on the first floor. As soon as we walked into the building, a dog started barking so we had to go back and went to the second floor which was much, much better. Do NOT stay on the first floor unless you have a pet. The room also smelled on the 1st floor. The second floor room was actually quite clean and very comfortable with a fairly large room, microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was a nice size too. They also had a workout room. There aren't that many places to stay in Elko, but I would try to find another place to stay. If you want a Basque dinner experience, go to the Star Hotel in town. It was wonderful. Lots and lots of food served family style but get there early. They are also closed on Sundays.

Room Tip: Do not stay on first floor of the hotel. that's where they have guests stay that have pets. Sm...
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I do understand your comments about the smell of smoke in and around our hotel/casino. We are doing our best to resolve this problem, because we can certainly appreciate the concerns of our non-smoking guests. In addition, we do have many guests who travel with pets and are very happy to find that we accept pets in our first floor rooms. I am pleased to read you did receive an alternative room which was satisfactory to you. We value your patronage and hope you will visit us again.
Midvale, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

As a former resident of Elko I was aware of the positives and negatives of the Red Lion. Our reservation was made over the phone and the gentleman I spoke to could not have been nicer or more professional. My company has a negotiated rate with this hotel and we were pleasantly surprised by the nice discount! We reserved a non-smoking room on the third floor. Our room was clean and nice and we really enjoyed the balcony! The easy chair and footstool could stand replacing, they were rather shabby. However, it's not often that you'll find a room at a casino with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker! We really appreciate that! The long walk from the elevators and the hallway carpeting were negatives, as were the maids talking loudy right outside our door in the morning.

Room Tip: South facing rooms warm up quickly in the morning, but have a nice view of the Ruby Mtns. No traffic...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear McFarland Clan:

I’m so pleased to read that your reservation process went smoothly for you and that you enjoyed your room. I will be sure to check on the chair and footstool and most definitely will speak with our housekeeping supervisor concerning the maids. In addition, I want you to know we have ordered new hallway carpet and wallpaper, as we are continuously pursuing appropriate upgrades for our property. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again should your travels return you this way!

David Zornes, General Manager
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Very average hotel and casino but it's probably the best Elko has to offer. The room was an adequate size but not very clean. The curtains were off the track, The carpet was slightly dingy in the traffic areas. There was one easy chair. It's a very long walk to the Ice machines and casino so bring your walking shoes. The elevators aren't real clean and you see greasy fingerprints all over. The whole hotel has a certain old smell to it. It's probably from the cigarette smoke.There was a lot of guests that appeared to be single men who worked construction pulling up in huge work trucks and carrying in an overnite bag. Elko is not close to anything so I assume they are skilled labor who stay during the week because they can't drive home. That explained why the carpets looked dingy and partly explained why the finger prints from dirty hands were everywhere. The bed was moderately comfortable. The casino itself looks dingy and the bars at the casino gave an impression of being dirty. The staff was courteous. If I HAD to stay in Elko again I'd probably stay there just because it did look like it was the nicest hotel there but as far as return visits, Elko is OFF thte list!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near an entry door, elevator and take the entrance closest to the casino. It's sp...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Kris:

I am sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied during your stay with us. We have ordered new hallway/stairwell carpet and are anxiously awaiting its arrival and installation. I have reported your specific concerns to our housekeeping/maintenance departments. I do appreciate your advising your concerns as it is through such comments that we can only improve upon our customer service and product. We are very proud of our company and staff and feel we work hard to create a memorable guest experience. We are always sorry to read when that experience has not been the best. Thanks again for your patronage!

David Zornes, General Manager
Burrville, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I reserved a room by phone. But when we checked in, the desk clerk told me that my reservation had been cancelled "by the person who made it." After a few iterations of me asking for more information and the clerk saying he could not help, he went in the back and returned saying he had found a room for me. It matched the parameters of the original reservation. I was left wondering whether there actually was a problem with the reservation or the clerk was trying to squeeze out a tip, or both.

The room itself was adequate, though overpriced; the quality and ambiance were what I'd expect from a Comfort Inn or Holiday Express at $60-80 per night, rather than the $115 I was quoted and charged.

The attached casino seemed undermanaged and understaffed. My repeated calls before the visiit were unable to reach any casino host or players' club representative, or anyone else who could tell me about complimentaries. After I arrived, I was told the only person who could answer my questions was away that day. I nevertheless gave some action, a bit over $6000 of slot coin-in, that evening, losing $500, and talked to the players club clerk the next day, who said they couldn't do anything toward my room this trip, but if I played 4 times as much as I already had, I might get a discounted room rate on my next trip. In over 25 years of staying and playing at casino-hotels, this is the first time I've ever paid full price for my room..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew S
drz77, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Andrew:

I have read your review and appreciate the comments you expressed. I am unsure why there was a problem with your reservation, but I will definitely discuss the circumstances with our front desk manager. With respect to your concerns about our casino policies/practices, I would be happy to discuss them with you personally. You can reach me most days here at the Red Lion Hotel & Casino by e-mail (DRZ77@PlayElko.com) or by telephone (775-753-0433). Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you.

David R. Zornes, General Manager