“Never Stay at White Pine Motel in Ely, NV”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of White Pine Motel

White Pine Motel
White Pine Motel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Ely
Reno, Nevada
“Never Stay at White Pine Motel in Ely, NV”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

The owner is a notorious slumlord, but travelers never know this until it is too late. Bring your own bedding, prepare for a cold shower, and don't let your daughters out of your site. It does no good to complain in this town but eventually, his own negligence will lead to the collapse of the building. Hopefully, this happens before you waste your money. I was quoted a lower price than what I was charged, but of course when I tried to go elsewhere they were full, and I think he uses the desperation of others to his own benefit. No integrity. Under no circumstances should you ever ever rent an apartment, trailor, or other dwelling from this man.

Room Tip: There are very poor rooms, and there are worse rooms. Just hope the electrical problems don't c...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Michel L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Schaumburg, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

$38 after taxes for a single room. The room is on the small side, but has a fridge & microwave. The layout is good with a desk and ample outlets. Excellent wi-fi. The TV has Direct TV. But some of the basic channels I like to watch weren't subscribed to - like Fox News and ESPN. On the other hand, it got some good premium channels. The room was clean but had a slightly stale smell. It's probably from the carpet that has seen better days. I was going to stay at the old Hotel Nevada but chose this one instead because I wanted to park right outside my door. It was a good choice!

P.S. The Tripadvisor picture that purports to be of the White Pine Motel is not a picture of this motel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark_S36669
Reno, NV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

We checked into the White Pine Motel in Ely, Nevada, late the night of May 28. It seemed like a simple, local type motel. The office was open, we checked in and paid, and went to our room.

First thing, we pulled the sheets. Small bits were visible in the mattress seams, and then we found a dead bed bug. We didn't want to jump to any conclusions, so we went back to the office to talk about it. The door was locked, and no one answered the bell or their phone. We went back to the room, took the dead bug and some photos, and compared them to some photos online. Definitely the real deal.

We called the bank to protest the payment - the motel refuses to refund, so we'll have to fight them about it. When we finally reached the owner, she asserted that she has never had bugs, but didn't even want to know which room we were talking about.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MNewberry

Travellers are raving about these Ely hotels

nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I stayed at the White Pine Motel during a recent business trip. It started off bad when I went to check-in and the manager wouldn't honor the price that I was quoted over the phone when I made my reservations. He jacked up the price by about 25 dollars. I was in a bind though and decided to pay for it. Then I went to my room. Note: the Kitchenettes that are advertised are actually a mini-fridge and a microwave stuck in the closet. The room was TINY and I was told that I was in one of the larger rooms. There were dead bugs in the carpet and the room was old and not maintained. Is it really that hard to clean greasy hand and finger prints off a door? There was trash from a previous occupant under the bed. The sheets however were clean, even though the box spring on the bed was falling apart. One of the good things about this motel is that they let you have pets for free. There is internet, but it is super unreliable, especially if more than one person in the motel is using it. The final problem came when I was checking out. I was leaving a day early and the manager tried to screw me out of more money, and I had to squibble with him about it. There are a lot of motels in Ely, you might want to try one of those and not the White Pine!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank sagey26
Kiwis on the Roadtrip
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

There is a reasonable selection of motels in this old mining town in the middle of nowhere Nevada and this one turned out not too bad.
The front desk lady was very pleasant and helpful with directions to the supermarket.
The motel itself is pretty dated but the price was right and it was clean.
The bed was comfortable and the front desk lady delivered more pillows on request.
All in all good value

• Liked — Friendly and helpful front desk lady
  • Disliked — A bit of road noise as the motel is on the main street through town
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Whiskers007
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2007

For the life of me, I can't understand how the other reviewers could have given decent reviews of this property. It is a very run down, rather dirty-looking and poorly-maintained place. I only made a reservation there because everyplace else in town appeared to be booked and another hotel in town recommended it. When I arrived the man at the front desk, who was wearing a filthy tee shirt, told me they were full and he could not find my reservation which I had made two weeks earlier (although I was able to point it out to him - it was on a post-it note on his calendar). Thankfully we were able to drive down the street and find a very clean and nice Motel 6 just around the corner on Great Basin Highway - for the same price. You are much better off going to the Motel 6 instead... same price, much cleaner, better and safer location - and about 50 years newer (and the front desk staff wears clean clothes).

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank FrequentBizTraveler
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2005

When Ely's casino hotels are full, and even the chain motels have "No Vacancy" signs, this recently renovated motel may have space for you, like it did for me. The owner was a bit grumpy when I checked in around 9pm, but the room itself was a pleasant surprise, with unique decor, a spic-and-span bathroom and fast-acting heating and A/C wall units. The parking lot is tiny and cramped. Some of the weekly tenants were a bit boisterous, but the white noise of the heater blocked that out, no problem. I'd stay here again, as it's conveniently located not far from downtown.

• Stayed October 2005