“Best people around.”

Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ely
London, Canada
“Best people around.”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have been staying here, off & on for about 6 years. Ever time I am in the area I drop in for a few nights. Even with my motor-home, they allow me to plug it in for no charge. Last visit June 2013. The owners ( new), Mark & Roberta are great, very friendly & help full. It is not the most fancy place in town, but the price is good, rooms are tidy & neat & clean, everything works. You can always look at the room before you decide. As for other people that live there, I have not had a problem & have enjoyed talking with them. There was a guy that came in late, stayed the night & then wanted a full refund, he was given some back. It is funny that a few days later, while I was still there, they got a surprise visit from the board of health ( guess who complained?) . They passed with flying colors. I will be there this summer, please drop in & say HI. Ask for the Canadian. LOL

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Bob1013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ely, Nevada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have been staying here for a few weeks now in a weekly room with my fiance and my 10 month old who is teething and cranky. Our neighbor apparently does not like kids and banged on our wall telling my baby to shut up, and in the morning , the manager gladly let us move to another room away from him. The manager is always accomodating and kind and helps us with whatever we need. I am happy here, and plan to stay until we get on our feet. People looking for ritzy luxury should not come here- you get what you pay for- a clean, decent room, cable tv, free coffee, and friendly management at a great price- actually the lowest price in town. If you want more luxury, then (duh) its gonna cost you money. But the kindness and hospitality you find here is priceless. Thank you for making my stay with my family just that much better. :)

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are for weeklies. The ones on bottom are for dailies and are a bit bigger...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Angelica R
Reviewed 31 August 2013

There is a new manager and the hotel has completely turned around. Check it out now I stayed here before and wasn't so good but now the service was great. The bedding was comfortable I got a great nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2013
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The owner is a notorious slumlord, but travelers never know this until it is too late. Bring your own bedding, prepare for a cold shower, and don't let your daughters out of your site. It does no good to complain in this town but eventually, his own negligence will lead to the collapse of the building. Hopefully, this happens before you waste your money. I was quoted a lower price than what I was charged, but of course when I tried to go elsewhere they were full, and I think he uses the desperation of others to his own benefit. No integrity. Under no circumstances should you ever ever rent an apartment, trailor, or other dwelling from this man.

Room Tip: There are very poor rooms, and there are worse rooms. Just hope the electrical problems don't c...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Michel L

Travellers are raving about these Ely hotels

Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed 16 July 2013

$38 after taxes for a single room. The room is on the small side, but has a fridge & microwave. The layout is good with a desk and ample outlets. Excellent wi-fi. The TV has Direct TV. But some of the basic channels I like to watch weren't subscribed to - like Fox News and ESPN. On the other hand, it got some good premium channels. The room was clean but had a slightly stale smell. It's probably from the carpet that has seen better days. I was going to stay at the old Hotel Nevada but chose this one instead because I wanted to park right outside my door. It was a good choice!

P.S. The Tripadvisor picture that purports to be of the White Pine Motel is not a picture of this motel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark_S36669
Reno, NV
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We checked into the White Pine Motel in Ely, Nevada, late the night of May 28. It seemed like a simple, local type motel. The office was open, we checked in and paid, and went to our room.

First thing, we pulled the sheets. Small bits were visible in the mattress seams, and then we found a dead bed bug. We didn't want to jump to any conclusions, so we went back to the office to talk about it. The door was locked, and no one answered the bell or their phone. We went back to the room, took the dead bug and some photos, and compared them to some photos online. Definitely the real deal.

We called the bank to protest the payment - the motel refuses to refund, so we'll have to fight them about it. When we finally reached the owner, she asserted that she has never had bugs, but didn't even want to know which room we were talking about.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MNewberry
nevada
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I stayed at the White Pine Motel during a recent business trip. It started off bad when I went to check-in and the manager wouldn't honor the price that I was quoted over the phone when I made my reservations. He jacked up the price by about 25 dollars. I was in a bind though and decided to pay for it. Then I went to my room. Note: the Kitchenettes that are advertised are actually a mini-fridge and a microwave stuck in the closet. The room was TINY and I was told that I was in one of the larger rooms. There were dead bugs in the carpet and the room was old and not maintained. Is it really that hard to clean greasy hand and finger prints off a door? There was trash from a previous occupant under the bed. The sheets however were clean, even though the box spring on the bed was falling apart. One of the good things about this motel is that they let you have pets for free. There is internet, but it is super unreliable, especially if more than one person in the motel is using it. The final problem came when I was checking out. I was leaving a day early and the manager tried to screw me out of more money, and I had to squibble with him about it. There are a lot of motels in Ely, you might want to try one of those and not the White Pine!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business