“Great value and people”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Ely
Australia
“Great value and people”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The reception people were the friendliest we met on our USA road trip. They couldn't do enough for you and even helped us negotiate a cheaper rate! The room was clean and spacious with the car park just outside of the room.
Our meal in the restaurant was excellent, cooked fresh and to perfection. Would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Ely.

Room Tip: Negotiate with the reception.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sardross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The Prospector is your perfect place for a night in Ely. Great bedds, bug rooms, wonderful foo-fra decor (choose a hunting theme room), and prices about half of the other "better" hotels in Ely. And did I say the people are super friendly and enjoyable?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MountainFriendsPhoto
Olympic Penninsula
Reviewed 8 November 2010

the casino is small but great. Bar and restaurant are nice and friendly as are hotel/casino staff.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I stoped at the hotel at 5:45 in the eveing on a Friday. They had a special for the snow crab legs (This should have been the warning).

After I ordered my crab legs, I overheard another table where one of the people at the table had ordered crab legs and they were having quality issues with the crab. I indicated this to the waitress and I let her know that I would wait and see if the crab legs I recieved also had quality issues.

Well of course they did, this was not such a great problem. However when I let them know that I did not intend on eating the crab legs the waitress fist tried to comp me with a desert. I did not want a disert. I did let her know that I would like to order somthing else from the menu in place of the bad crab legs. They would not accomodate. She let me know the best they could do was to reduce the bill by 25%. Totaly obsurd. I finnay just wanted to leave the wrech of a hell hole resturant inside the hotel.

She went to talk to the manager then she comes back to the table and says she is going to talk to the cooks. I let her know that I was continueing my drive back home in Henderson and that my time if far more improtant than dealing with them. I decided just pay so I could leave this pathetic resturant. I intend on contacting the hotel management and the owner.

DO NOT EAT OR STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights & were extremely pleased with the facilities/accommodations. Friendly check-in staff.; Our spacious room was on the second floor; coffee maker, TV, microwave, small fridge, toiletries and thoughtfully decorated. Free business center. Hotel was very quiet & we enjoyed the restaurant on site (also a casino)
I was a little apprehensive beforehand by some of the reviews on this site but now realize they weren't current.
We would definltely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Seeing-America1st
Bernalillo, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I'm not sure why the AAA book shows this as 3 stars. Our room on the first floor was extremely noisy. When people above us walked, the ceiling made loud creaking and popping noises. The walls seemed very thin, and we heard noise all night long. The smell of smoke permeates the entire building, even the so-called smoke free rooms. Yes, they were smoking behind the front desk.

Our dinner in the casino restaurant was ok, but the service was extremely slow. This place appears to be one of the nicest in town, but it is not.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 7 October 2009

This hotel was a gem in the town of Ely. It is clean, comfortable and nice. The desk staff were very nice and helpful. The outside is kept up nicely, the inside is pleasantly decorated. There is a casino in the hotel but the rooms are all non-smoking. The hotel restaurant can be passed up, even though the waiters/waitresses are all very friendly. It is not comparable to Hiltons or the like but we were pleasantly surprised to find this nice hotel in such a small town.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple