“on egin”

JT Bar & Dining Room
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Gardnerville
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“on egin”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Went to JT's for the 4th of July and had a wonderful time. Brian was awesome, very attentive and the staff are very friendly. Food was very good. We'll definitely be back!!:)

• Visited July 2014

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Very good family style meal”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The service was great and so was the food. Everything but the entree is served family style. Dinner included their house chilled red wine, bread, soup, salad, stew, beans, french fries and ice cream, in addition to the entree. I had the chicken with peppers and tomato sauce. It was tender and moist. I would get it again. We are in Minden/Gardnerville, Nevada once or twice a year and enjoy visiting this place every time.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Christina K
Torrance, California
“We Love This Place!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

After more than thirty years of patronizing this restaurant, you'd think I would've reviewed it by now. For us, it's always been a set: go to Tahoe, go down the hill to JT's. Always. And when our son drove to Sacramento the first time, he asked whether it was too far to head for JT's for dinner. ('fraid so!) JT's has always been part of our lives. It makes me happy to think that it's a joy we've passed on to another generation.

My first acquaintance with JT's was in the early eighties. I was newly married, it was my first trip to Tahoe and my husband was showing me the sights. He knew this great little restaurant-- if it was still there-- in a little town in Nevada called Gardnerville. As the legend went, back in his UNR days a herd of his buddies from the university would head to JT's where they got great food for a pittance and the steaks just kept on comin'. Intrigued by the notion of endless food, I was ready to give it a try. Whereas now I could tell you that from South Shore, you'd head down the Kingsbury Grade, follow Waterloo Lane into town and make a left at the shopping center, thirty years ago we found our way via landmarks. But we got there, even in snowfall, and found the restaurant just as he remembered it—a wonderful old 1896 building which just oozed Old West. Through the doorway was a wonderful old bar, dollar bills tacked to the ceiling, old hats lining the walls, JT tending bar in his beret, splashing Picon Punches into glasses with a practiced hand. We took a seat, listened to the jukebox and waited for a table to open up out back. And when it did, well… another of my husband’s memories came to life, beautifully intact: a basket of bread arrived, followed by red wine poured into our heavy glasses. A tureen of soup came next, followed by a green salad, stew, and beans—before each plate was removed, we were asked if we wanted seconds. And then it was time for the main course: a platter of sizzling steaks and another heaped with wonderful-to-die-for frites, beautifully browned, crispy and spiked lightly with onion powder. Back then, there were three steaks on the platter for the two of us—more than ample for even the most energetic of appetites. At this point, we usually quit, so it wasn’t until probably ten years later, in the company of our small son who wanted ice cream, that we even realized ice cream came with the package. Who had room?

Some thirty years later, JP has gone to his Great Reward and his children have taken over the business, freshening up the interior, adding more seating, and broadening the menu. All the aforementioned is as it was, very possibly even better—and whereas there might be a small wait thirty years ago, each time we’ve been there recently, the place is packed.

Not in a steak mood? (Just so you know, these folks grill a seriously wonderful steak, especially teamed with grilled cloves of garlic.) You can now also opt for lamb, pigs feet with tripe, rabbit, chicken, shrimp and sweetbreads (some are only available on specific days)—all of it still served with soup, salad, bread, stew, beans, fries, ice cream and coffee. Seconds are still available on most items, though the days of extra steaks are now a thing of the past. There is no choice of salad dressing, which doesn’t bother us in the least. Their simple lettuce salad is dressed with just the right mixture of vinegar and oil and if there’s anything I’m inclined to have more of, it’s the salad and bread. Yum! But make no mistake, there is nothing wrong with ANY of the courses served here—a major reason which has kept us coming back all these years.

And how can we resist, after all? Marie, JT’s daughter, has been greeting us like old friends for many years now. She still doesn’t know our names, but she knows us by sight, hugs us each time and considers us her once-a-year regulars. And truly, there are few things more welcoming than walking into JT’s on a snowy winter night, realizing that some good things don’t have to tarnish with the passing of time. JT, I think, would be proud.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Gail G
Dublin, Ireland
“Loved it”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

As an Irish couple in Tahoe we wanted some nice wholesome food, this place was recommended by a few locals from gardnerville. (Clem who we met in wally's) It's not 5 star dining and it's not decorated like the Ritz but it doesn't claim to be. It's family food and lots of it. Lovely soup, big bowl of lettuce with a nice dressing, great stew, big old steak and fries and a cold bowl of ice cream, throw in some wine and coffee as your at it. And it's very reasonable! Hope to go back some day

Sonoma, California
“Not quite as good as I remember, but still good”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Typical Basque menu; soup, salad, vegetable, string potatoes, good thick beef stew, beef main course and dessert with the obligatory carafe of house red. Everything was good, but not as good as I remember from my first visit a couple of years ago. Service was fast and courteous. The prices seemed geared more towards tourists than locals unless it was a special occasion.

• Visited April 2014