“A Diamond in the Rough!”

1862 David Walley's Hot Springs & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 things to do in Genoa
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled in the Sierra Mountain Valley, with a 360 degree view of the majestic Sierra Mountain range, 1862 David Walley’s Hot Springs Resort Spa offers you a rare opportunity to indulge yourself in the mineral rich hot springs that mother nature herself thrives in. Our hot springs have been known around the world for their healing powers for almost 150 years. Come and refresh, relax and reconnect.
California
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Diamond in the Rough!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This resort has been recently purchased by Summer Winds Resort and the accommodations are being upgraded. Deferred maintenance and replacement of dated furnishings are being carried out. Studios, 1 BR, and 2 BR units can be rented. The latter comes with a fully equipped kitchen as well as a stack washer/dryer appliances. Flat screen TVs and art work/furniture are part of the refurbishing process. Two and three BR cabins are being constructed. Access to Carson City, Reno, and Lake Tahoe are under an hour's travel. The great plus here is the quietness and access to a variety of rejuvenating, mineralized hot springs. The resort will soon be a first class resort destination.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Spartan58
SummerWindsResorts02, Public Relations Manager at 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs & Spa, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your post. We are taking great strides in improving 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort & Spa and hope to see you again very soon.

Ione
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Relaxing stay, friendly & helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We are big fans of David Walley's. The staff headed by Mendy Stuart is wonderful, helpful, courteous and friendly. If you have a need or concern they will be more than happy to accommodate you. The concierges Darius & Kelly are top notch in assisting you with directions, and insight to local and area places of interest. Rooms are always clean and the full kitchens have all the necessities for dining in. The view of the Carson Valley is priceless. The Spa needs to lighten-up a bit on becoming so commercial. The water cooler in the exercise room has vanished, the only water fountain is in the lobby. Who seriously carries around their ID, if staying on property, and one towel, really? The bar is nice, happy hour is great, Harriet's Café has reasonable prices and a nice variety menu. Food in the restaurant is wonderful, but a bit on the pricey side. Hopefully, you'll enjoy David Walley's as much as we do. It's not luxurious, but it's very comfortable and is steadily upgrading the units.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank 270travelers
SummerWindsResorts02, Public Relations Manager at 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your post. We are pleased that you had a relaxing stay out our resort and look forward to seeing you again.
Minden, Nevada, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Really?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

It is unfortunate I have to write this review however, the Corporate mentality and $$$ hungry business practices of 1862 and their mother company Summerwinds have demonstrated a cold, non caring, lack of accountability icky feeling to me. In a corporate world I think the last thing you want to spend your hard earned $$$ on is a place that is shady and gives nothing in return that you thought you were getting. The millions of $$$ in upgrades do NOT outweigh their lack of accountability.
SPECIFICS- I am a local and have been a Patron of Walleys many years until the arrival of the new corporation. Walleys used to offer a locals day on Tues/Thurs to supplement their low census. For several years myself and 15-20 other friends religiously supported Walleys on these days. After the arrival of Summerwinds and without warning the Locals appreciation went by the wayside as did the personalized service and community feeling. They have brought the Locals days back after much persuasion but the prices are quite a bit higher ($15.00 visit). The cost however, is not the issue but rather the cost coupled with cold pools, a front desk run by teenagers that lack accountability and the ultimate; "You'll have to take that up with our corporate office in MO". Suggestions you may have will fall on deaf ears and if you ever wanted a refund for cold pools, stinky million dollar changing rooms, or the famed "You have to speak with our corporate headquarters". They will also say you need to write a letter. (What is this? Grade school I've been misbehaving essays) I don't know about you but my time is worth $$$ and if I have to spend it convincing/pleading to Summerwinds and Walleys that I am not pleased then they can keep my $$$ and I will drive the 60 mi to Buckeye and Travertine where they are free and without Corporate headache. Granted my time is worth a lot and writing a long review is not typical for me but I felt strongly enough by this ongoing tumultuous customer/business relationship that if I could spare you the inconvenience by writing this review, it is worth it to me. Save your $$$, time, and headache and go have a nice spa experience somewhere else.

9 Thank Jennifer O
Allentown, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect for us, minus a few details.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My mother-in-law gave us her timeshare week as a present and we transferred into David Walleys. This was my first timeshare experience. Upon first pulling into the parking lot I was surprised on how big the resort was, it looks like a small condo complex. We where checked in by a very friendly hotel staff. The friendly but persistent timeshare salesman was there from moment one trying to schedule his presentation. After firmly telling him no thanks, we never heard from him again. We stayed in the Bodie building in a 2 bedroom unit. Really, its a hotel suite with an adjoining standard hotel room. It was very clean and nicely appointed. We had a full kitchen, with a dish washer. There was also public gas grills behind the building. Our room also had a washer/drier. A nice touch. The resort was quiet and just what we where looking for. Unfortunately some of the details kept it from being perfect. The king sized bed was just terrible, rock hard. The queen was a little better. The blankets are scratchy, these are things I am not picky about. My wife and I ended up sleeping in separate bedrooms, it was that uncomfortable. Despite boasting about their renovation our room still have small old tube style TV's. The provided coffee did work in the provided coffee machine. The bedroom was dark and did not have easily accessible plugs for portable electronics.

We were granted free admission to the hot spring as a transfer. Some others had to pay $30 a day. We enjoyed the springs more then we thought, as hot tubs are not our thing. We did not try the restaurant although it looked quite beautiful. If your are not looking for spa services, there is not much to the resort. The tennis courts looked like a portrait of urban decay. A small horseshoe station and basic volleyball nets rounded out the entertainment.

All in all though we were looking for a nice place to stay from which we could go on our little adventures in Tahoe, and Walley's fit the bill. It was a much more relaxed atmosphere then staying in South Lake Tahoe itself. I would recommend it for someone looking for something similar, I just hope they upgrade the beds.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank tcnjdeluca
South Lake Tahoe, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“OUCH! Mother's Day Brunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

While the food was great the price was tremendous! We had reservations but when we got there, they didn't have them. The place is really not set up for a big buffet so the food area became quite crowded and hard to dish food. Refills on coffee did not exist. Overall, the place is nice but do not go to a brunch there!

Visited May 2013