My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort in April 2011. He found it and I read the reviews, some good some bad. It is true that this property has recently changed hands and is currently being refurbished. A picky person would find faults and complain, however I personally found this to be a wonderful place to stay and relax. I could not find anything big enough to complain about.
This is a hot springs timeshare resort located in a quiet place just a few minutes from Genoa, NV. There are friendly people, employees, guests/owners, and locals . The hot springs are the highlight of course and are fabulous, the jets were not always working but the water was delightful and the staff checked the temperature of the tubs frequently. Water was kept between 100-105 degrees. There is a large cool pool and seven outdoor Mineral springs hot tubs. It was so relaxing and the mineral water is truly capable of curing your ails. There were times when it was cold out and we still sat in the warm waters of the spa, it even snowed a little while we sat there relaxing. The juxtaposition of relaxing in your bikini while people walk by in their ski jackets is fun and sitting in the hot tub with the snowy mountains as your view is incredible! There are men's and women's locker rooms with showers and sauna/steam rooms that are wonderful, shampoos and conditioners that are good quality, I showered almost every day there rather than in our room with my fancy hair products. There is no fee to use the hot springs, sauna, steam room, and showers if you are staying in the resort. (bring your robe though, it can be cold going to and from depending on the time of year) They also offered massage and other spa treatments.
The restaurant was fabulous. We went to happy hour and lunch and the food was wonderful. We also went to dinner one night and that too was delicious, steak cooked to perfection...no, I did not try the rattlesnake...but the bacon shrimp are a must! The wait staff and bar staff delightful, and the view from our table was beautiful and it was romantic and private. We were given many recommendations of other places to eat, only one other time did we go out and that was on the advise of a local to a basque restaurant in Minden. That was wonderful too.
We had a one bedroom condo in the Aurora building. Not remodeled, but a wonderful room never the less. Yes they are updating from the other end down with granite counters (we toured their updated model) but our room was still nicely kept, nicely decorated, no complaints. It featured tile counters, fireplace in the living room, full kitchen, soap and shampoos in the bathroom, jetted tub and shower, and a fabulous view from our private patio, TV in the living room and bedroom. Although you can ask for refills at the front desk, if you are driving in I would bring along items such as toilet paper and paper towels. Also although the rooms are supplied with the basic cooking and kitchen supplies such as plates and silverware and glasses, laundry soap and salt and pepper are must bring items, and any kitchen tool you like and use that is unique. There is a game room with table tennis, billiards, and fooze ball, and DVD'sfor rent in the front office. There are horseshoes, a kiddie play structure, weight room, and workout room with treadmills and climbers. Fresh baked cookies in the front office every day. (NO I do not work there!) They have Wifi but you have to pay for it. Maybe you could leave your computer at home,or figure out a way to get the internet through your phone.
Bottom line is that even though there are some bad reviews, this place was a wonderful place to go and relax. Be understanding that they are in the process of updating and don't nitpick and you will get what you came for in the first place...refreshed. Oh yes, and there are numerous resident geese, they honk a little and by day two you will be used to it. They will come up on your patio and eat right out of your hand. Hike down the stream a little and you will see the natural springs of hot water bubbling right out of the ground. And if you want to go off the property there is a neat old bar in Genoa, don't expect to go to the coffee shop, w e were told that he is only open when he feels like it, which wasn't any time that we were there. But maybe by the time you get there they will have the Starbucks opened on the resort site. Have a wonderful time and get refreshed at David Walley's!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the picturesque views of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa is a getaway for all ages. Come experience the legacy of David Walley’s Hot Springs and Spa for yourself. Since its conception, almost 150 years ago 1862 David Walley’s Hot Springs and Spa has offered its patrons the ultimate in relaxation and health benefits from its mineral rich waters. Relax in one of the five on-site hot spring mineral pools, or enjoy a Swedish massage at our Day Spa. And for your dining adventure you don't have to leave, with two on-site restaurants you have a vacation at one location. 1862 David Walley's Restaurant and Saloon is not only a favorite place for food but wine as well, the restaurant hosts some of the finest winemakers from virtually every region around the world. The newly remodeled restaurant keeps this quality while entertaining your palate with a variety of wild game, seafood and Wagyu Beef. For Breakfast and Lunch go next door to the newly open Harriet's Cafe. Harriet's proudly serves Starbuck's coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1862 David Walley`s Hot Springs Hotel Genoa
- David Walleys Hot Springs Hotel
- 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort And Spa Genoa, Nevada